Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Novation SL MkIII Review: Is it a game-changing controller?

Comments

• edited October 2018

If I had 8 external MIDI synth boxes sitting around waiting to be controlled, this would be a thing to consider - triggering them all from one keyboard looks pretty cool to me. I haven't though, so of no use in the Monzo studio.

If however it could control 8 ipad apps...or 8 desktop plugins...I could be persuaded. But not for 600 quid.

• @MonzoPro said:
    If I had 8 external MIDI synth boxes sitting around waiting to be controlled, this would be a thing to consider - triggering them all from one keyboard looks pretty cool to me. I haven't though, so of no use in the Monzo studio.

If however it could control 8 ipad apps...or 8 desktop plugins...I could be persuaded. But not for 600 quid.

It can control 8 apps, as long as they are different MIDI Channels...in AUM or AB for example.....but yes...£600...if I had a spare £600 i'd be ordering one....don't even have a spare 600 pence....so back to daydreaming about one :D

• @[Deleted User] said:

@Iso said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@shiftsynth1 said:

@[Deleted User] said:
    Will be Interesting to see what hardware Ableton bring out in November.

Why would you think they are announcing new hardware?

Well just basic market placement and competition, I don't think they can wait one more year to release a new hardware product unless they drop that part of their business.

I don't think Ableton have any plans for a new controller any time soon. Push 1 & 2 get refreshed regularly through firmware updates. The cost of developing a Push 3 would not be worthwhile this early in the cycle...........maybe in 4 or 5 years time?

I might be wrong but push 1 was a two year cycle so this would be a three year cycle. I think it would be a nice bet for something in November. Not long to find out :-)

I don't think there is any chance of a new Push controller from Ableton in the near future. Push 1 was made by Akai Pro, but Ableton decided to bring it completely in-house for the Push 2, and the whole concept was completely re-worked. Can't see them doing that again any time soon, if ever........haven't seen any rumours on the net either.......apart from yours! ;)

• The real game-changer would be Push 3 being an all-in-one hardware box.

• @Iso said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@Iso said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@shiftsynth1 said:

@[Deleted User] said:

Well just basic market placement and competition, I don't think they can wait one more year to release a new hardware product unless they drop that part of their business.

I don't think Ableton have any plans for a new controller any time soon. Push 1 & 2 get refreshed regularly through firmware updates. The cost of developing a Push 3 would not be worthwhile this early in the cycle...........maybe in 4 or 5 years time?

I might be wrong but push 1 was a two year cycle so this would be a three year cycle. I think it would be a nice bet for something in November. Not long to find out :-)

I don't think there is any chance of a new Push controller from Ableton in the near future. Push 1 was made by Akai Pro, but Ableton decided to bring it completely in-house for the Push 2, and the whole concept was completely re-worked. Can't see them doing that again any time soon, if ever........haven't seen any rumours on the net either.......apart from yours! ;)

Not long to find out but being serious I do think it’s worth waiting until early November before buying something like the Novation MkIII just in case.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@Iso said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@Iso said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@shiftsynth1 said:

@[Deleted User] said:

Not long to find out but being serious I do think it’s worth waiting until early November before buying something like the Novation MkIII just in case.

Sounds like you know something we don't! B)

• Hihi> @Iso said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@Iso said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@Iso said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@shiftsynth1 said:

@[Deleted User] said:

Sounds like you know something we don't! B)

Hihi, Hell no! I know jack diddly. 😂

• @AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

It can control 8 apps, as long as they are different MIDI Channels...in AUM or AB for example.....but yes...£600...if I had a spare £600 i'd be ordering one....don't even have a spare 600 pence....so back to daydreaming about one :D

Can it? Ah right, that’s cool then. Like you I have zero spare cash at the moment, and if I had I’d get something sensible like a new laptop, so it’s just a nice thing to look at at the moment.

• @MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

Can it? Ah right, that’s cool then. Like you I have zero spare cash at the moment, and if I had I’d get something sensible like a new laptop, so it’s just a nice thing to look at at the moment.

Yes, nice to look at, it would look nice on that new stand I just got yesterday :D

• @AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

Yes, nice to look at, it would look nice on that new stand I just got yesterday :D

Did you get the one you mentioned? Any good?

I need to sort something out in the near future.

• @MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@MonzoPro said:

Did you get the one you mentioned? Any good?

I need to sort something out in the near future.

Yeah, it came yesterday. It seems solid enough...I posted in your original thread about it this morning. No adjustment on the top tier, it has to be the same width as the lower tier so you have to set it at your narrowest piece of kit...unless you take the cross brace out. Shouldn't be a problem for me though as I intend to put shelves onto it. Still not identified suitable shelving though.

• In some moment cycling’74 should release an embed platform for its max environment. Since cycling is now part of Ableton why not to embed Ableton _ light_ as you called...?

In fact Novation had done this with their apps inside iOS... maybe Ableton light for iOS and MiRa app cappable of load max patches like momubplat?

Anyways it’s a logical step for these since Apple seems had forgotten about musicians as target.

• @[Deleted User] said:

An iOS version.........

• @RUST( i )K said:

@[Deleted User] said:

An iOS version.........

I settle for that!

• @[Deleted User] said:

@echoopera said:
    Man. This thing is cool. I just wish it were in a Push, Launchpad type of hardware config. 49 keys is so 20th century. 🤪 but in all seriousness, with space being limited in my setup this is hard one to justify...but if it were the size of a Push2 with a grid I’d be all over it.

I mean i can do a lot with my Octatrack MK2 already...maybe the Push3 will have a stand alone Ableton Light workflow as part of its config...one can only hope.

That would be a logical step, stereo outs and some minimal standalone capability, like an Ableton light with no third party Plugins.

I agree. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw this in LaunchPad form factor in the not so distant future.

• After watching a couple of reviews it seems like a nice piece of gear. The sequencer is great. Scales looks cool. The screen integration with sequence/track/automation editing looks great too. Shame about the lack of song mode. The button/slider layout is still meh for a synth controller. And the lack of Audio IO means it can't be a one stop shop for an iOS controller+interface. Still, considering the quality of the screens, the LEDs across the keyboard, the total number of controls, the MIDI/CV IO and the sequencer itself, the price seems totally reasonable imo. Just not the product for me. Love my x-stations too much and the sequencer isn't that good.

Perhaps we'll see an 'answer' from Arturia soon in the form of a KeyStepPro.

• The only thing I can say is that the build quality of Novation Launchkey products (MK1 and 2) was awfull. Hope this one is better.

• So it’s NOT class compliant?

• @Telstar5 said:
    So it’s NOT class compliant?

Where did you hear that? Can’t imagine it wouldn’t be in this day and age.

• I would be surprised if it would provide all this in cc/standalone mode. Unless it's all been rewritten. Most of the controller stuff requires pc connection/driver, without pc it's a midi keyboard with few knobs and faders and now seq - we'll see how much of the seq's functionality tethered to pc, hopefully none.
    Btw the built quality and the keyboard of the SL series is one of the best on the market imo.

• edited October 2018

@syrupcore said:

@Telstar5 said:
    So it’s NOT class compliant?

Where did you hear that? Can’t imagine it wouldn’t be in this day and age.

It is not listed as class compliant on the Novation website....probably because it requires power and cannot be USB powered.
    (Circuit isn't listed as class compliant either and works perfectly with iOS ! )

• @mannix said:
    The only thing I can say is that the build quality of Novation Launchkey products (MK1 and 2) was awfull. Hope this one is better.

Launchkey is Novation's base level controller keyboard and compared to other controllers in the same price range is not bad at all.
    This is not a Launchkey it is an SL, the SL range does have a better keybed than the Launchkey.

• @recccp said:
    I would be surprised if it would provide all this in cc/standalone mode. Unless it's all been rewritten. Most of the controller stuff requires pc connection/driver, without pc it's a midi keyboard with few knobs and faders and now seq - we'll see how much of the seq's functionality tethered to pc, hopefully none.
    Btw the built quality and the keyboard of the SL series is one of the best on the market imo.

The unit has USB, MIDI and CV outputs, in order to use MIDI and CV there are no drivers required ! There is no reason to think that the USB will not work with iOS as Circuit works perfectly well.

Sequencer is stand alone, and is pretty much the sequencer from Circuit. No PC connection required to use it, there are 32 sessions available, PC connection will be required to backup those sessions to Components.

Templates for the CC control need to be created using Components so will require PC connection to be setup, once they are setup they are on the device and PC connection is no longer required. My Remote 25 has the ability to create templates on the unit itself, which is great but VERY time consuming.

The unit DOES support controller feedback so as long as your connected device sends it, and you have a template setup, it will work.

Agree on keyboard quality, I think these are the same keyboards as used on BassStation 2.

• @syrupcore said:
    After watching a couple of reviews it seems like a nice piece of gear. The sequencer is great. Scales looks cool. The screen integration with sequence/track/automation editing looks great too. Shame about the lack of song mode. The button/slider layout is still meh for a synth controller. And the lack of Audio IO means it can't be a one stop shop for an iOS controller+interface. Still, considering the quality of the screens, the LEDs across the keyboard, the total number of controls, the MIDI/CV IO and the sequencer itself, the price seems totally reasonable imo. Just not the product for me. Love my x-stations too much and the sequencer isn't that good.

Perhaps we'll see an 'answer' from Arturia soon in the form of a KeyStepPro.

Agreed

• @AndyPlankton said:

@recccp said:
    I would be surprised if it would provide all this in cc/standalone mode. Unless it's all been rewritten. Most of the controller stuff requires pc connection/driver, without pc it's a midi keyboard with few knobs and faders and now seq - we'll see how much of the seq's functionality tethered to pc, hopefully none.

The unit has USB, MIDI and CV outputs, in order to use MIDI and CV there are no drivers required ! There is no reason to think that the USB will not work with iOS as Circuit works perfectly well.

Sequencer is stand alone, and is pretty much the sequencer from Circuit. No PC connection required to use it, there are 32 sessions available, PC connection will be required to backup those sessions to Components.

Templates for the CC control need to be created using Components so will require PC connection to be setup, once they are setup they are on the device and PC connection is no longer required. My Remote 25 has the ability to create templates on the unit itself, which is great but VERY time consuming.

The unit DOES support controller feedback so as long as your connected device sends it, and you have a template setup, it will work.

Agree on keyboard quality, I think these are the same keyboards as used on BassStation 2.

Can you use multipage CC templates when running it standalone?

• edited October 2018

@recccp said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@recccp said:

Look at 4:00 ish, does that answer your question ?

• @AndyPlankton said:

@recccp said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@recccp said:

Yeah, it kinda does, thanks!

• @recccp said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@recccp said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@recccp said:

Yeah, it kinda does, thanks!

You're welcome :)