Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Presonus itwo issues

Hey, so I have an iPad Pro 9.7 and a Cck and a presonus itwo and I’m happy with the setup. I recommended the presonus/cck to a friend and he’s bought one and has come round with it unable to set it up.

He has an air 2 with ordinary Apple charger and I have the bigger iPad Pro charger.

His itwo will not power up (just all the lights flashing) without my charger being plugged into his cck and cck plugged into the square usb on the itwo. The instructions say (for iPad) to plug another charger usb into the square USB port and the cck into the ordinary USB port but this still doesn’t work even with my iPad Pro charger. However if I plug his itwo (square usb socket) into cck (powered by iPad Pro charger into cck lightning port) it works fine. I wouldn’t of thought the presonus itwo would only work with an iPad Pro charger or it would say that you need a bigger charger than what most iPads come with considering it’s marketed towards iOS. I’ve tried my itwo in his set up as well and it doesn’t work either. Has anyone else had the issue? Does he just need to go buy an iPad Pro charger or am I missing something?

Comments

• Can't really offer any help but to say I have the Presonus iTwo and use the white brick charger with it and have had zero issues. btw - I use a Pro 12.9

• The iPad is supposed to be connected to the "Device" port, not the square one.
    Presonus had written in the specs that the iTwo would charge the iPad over the standard USB Lightning cable when the iPad charger is connected to the iTwo USB power port via the included USB A/B cable, without CCK3, but in fact it doesn't.
    I've returned it for that reason.

• edited September 2018

I got a Presonus iTwo as well and use it with no problems connected to a powered USB-hub through the square USB- port. Unfortunately the current from the hub is too low to run the iPad which demands at least 2.1A all by itself to be powered and not showing an error message.

Earlier I also used the larger 12W-charger, the brick one, connected to the square port and the ipad to the device. The smaller travel charger is only 6W and might not cut it running both the iTwo and the ipad.

Presonus states in the specs that the interface is USB bus powered right below all the info about it working with iPads. That is misleading and they should add a PC or Mac only remark.

It is though IMO a well-known fact that the iPad output current is too low, lower than a regular USB- port, to run most power-consuming peripherals. It applies not only to Presonus interfaces but also to Scarlett, Steinberg and others. The iRig by IK Multimedia is AFAIK the only interface powered directly by the ipad...

One should always be wary when a manufacturer says something can be run off the ipad...

• @DMfan said:
    I got a Presonus iTwo as well and use it with no problems to a powered USB-hub through the square USB- port. Unfortunately the current from the hub is too low to run the iPad which demands at least 2.1A all by itself to be powered and not showing an error message.

Earlier I also used the larger 12W-charger, the brick one, connected to the square port and the ipad to the device. The smaller travel charger is only 6W and might not cut it running both the iTwo and the ipad.

Presonus states in the specs that the interface is USB bus powered right below all the info about it working with iPads. That is misleading and they should add a PC or Mac only remark.

It is though IMO a well-known fact that the iPad output current is too low, lower than a regular USB- port, to run most power-consuming peripherals. It applies not only to Presonus interfaces but also to Scarlett, Steinberg and others. The iRig by IK Multimedia is AFAIK the only interface powered directly by the ipad...

One should always be wary when a manufacturer says something can be run off the ipad...

Presonus didn't claim it ran off the iPad.
    They claimed that when using it like described in the manual, powering it over the square port and running the iPad over the "DEVICE" port, it would charge the iPad, which is not true.

• @rs2000 said:

@DMfan said:
    I got a Presonus iTwo as well and use it with no problems to a powered USB-hub through the square USB- port. Unfortunately the current from the hub is too low to run the iPad which demands at least 2.1A all by itself to be powered and not showing an error message.

They claimed that when using it like described in the manual, powering it over the square port and running the iPad over the "DEVICE" port, it would charge the iPad, which is not true.

Sorry, misunderstood... curious though about where Presonus claimed this?

• @DMfan said:

@rs2000 said:

@DMfan said:

Sorry, misunderstood... curious though about where Presonus claimed this?

It used to be in the product description when they released it, I guess they've since fixed the description rather than the product ;)

• edited September 2018

There should be no cck in the equation. Are you possibly calling something a cck, that is something else? With an ipad, you plug the USB B plug (square plug, like you plug into a printer) into the iTwo, and the other end into a charger, plugged into the wall, any usb charger will do. That gets power to the iTwo. Then you use the sync cable that came with the ipad (the white USB A, to lightning cable) and plug that into the iTwo, and the ipad.

I've had problems with the ipad not recognizing the itwo (the light just blinks, no sound) with generic sync cables, the only one that has worked reliably over time has been the blessed, official Apple cables.

I've always powered my iTwo off the little white apple usb charger, or generic usb chargers. It doesn't need a beefy charger. Your friend might just try a different charger, or different cables.

• Thanks for everyone’s input.

We tried it the way the instructions say which is an ordinary apple wall plug through the lead that came in the itwo box into the square power socket on the itwo and then the iPad into the device socket to no avail with both the presonus itwos.

The only way they would work is through my (genuine Apple) cck -camera connection kit (the expensive one which you can also charge your iPad whilst using) plugged into the itwo square usb power socket and with my iPad Pro charger in the cck.. I’m stumped as to why. The reason I use the cck is I normally run it through a usb hub alongside my midi keyboard..

He’s gone out and bought himself an iPad Pro charger today so he’s up and running at least.

Thanks again

• Ok I had another go and it turns out I was actually trying it with the cck3 inline when I had it the way the manual says which was:

Power supply into square usb on the itwo, I pad into cck3 (with charger plugged into cck) and cck3 into the “device” socket on the itwo.

If I take the cck out of the equation then it works fine however this means I can’t charge my iPad and I can’t run my midi keyboard through the hub at the same time as using the itwo.

However if I set it up how I’ve always had it -which isn’t how the manual suggests, it works how I want it to as long as I use the iPad Pro charger. This set up was:

iPad into cck3 (with iPad Pro charger plugged into the cck3) and the cck3 into the square usb on the itwo OR the cck3 into my cheap amazon passive usb hub and then one cable from the usb hub into the square usb on the itwo and one cable from usb hub into my midi controller (launchkey 25).

I’ve no idea why having the cck3 in the chain when using the device socket causes a problem but there you go..