PSA: Don't update to iOS 12.4 if you use apps in AB output slot or IAA apps that use the mic.
https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/34030/urgent-psa-hold-off-updating-to-ios-12-4-if-you-use-apps-in-output-slot-in-audiobus

Hardware guys, do I need an interface if

I am looking at getting a Behringer XENYX X1222USB mixer and I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 in the cart as well. Do I need both can the USB of the Behringer act as an interface and is it any good?

Thanks.

Comments

  • edited September 2018

    The Xenyx USB series is supposed to be a USB audio interface, so it should work with CCK. I have two Behringer interfacea (UCA202 & UMC204HD), both are great for what they are and both of them are class compliant.

    I just looked at the xenyx and it looks sweet. However, I don’t think it has a DIN MIDI interface built in, so that’s one thing to consider. The Scarlett and my UMC204HD do, but obviously have far fewer inputs/channels.

  • @StormJH1 said:
    The Xenyx USB series is supposed to be a USB audio interface, so it should work with CCK. I have two Behringer interfacea (UCA202 & UMC204HD), both are great for what they are and both of them are class compliant.

    I just looked at the xenyx and it looks sweet. However, I don’t think it has a DIN MIDI interface built in, so that’s one thing to consider. The Scarlett and my UMC204HD do, but obviously have far fewer inputs/channels.

    This is why I love this forum, thank you. As your comment got me looking again. I took out the Scarlett and picked up the UMC404HD for lots less with more options and it has great reviews and solves the MIDI link.

  • @JudgeDredd said:

    @StormJH1 said:
    The Xenyx USB series is supposed to be a USB audio interface, so it should work with CCK. I have two Behringer interfacea (UCA202 & UMC204HD), both are great for what they are and both of them are class compliant.

    I just looked at the xenyx and it looks sweet. However, I don’t think it has a DIN MIDI interface built in, so that’s one thing to consider. The Scarlett and my UMC204HD do, but obviously have far fewer inputs/channels.

    This is why I love this forum, thank you. As your comment got me looking again. I took out the Scarlett and picked up the UMC404HD for lots less with more options and it has great reviews and solves the MIDI link.

    Please report about your success with it.
    I remember the mixed experiences from https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/26334/behringer-umc-404-hd-issues

  • Roland Go Mixer if you’re interested in an IOS exclusive interface. Yes it exists.

  • @LucidMusicInc said:
    Roland Go Mixer if you’re interested in an IOS exclusive interface. Yes it exists.

    Don’t buy it. It’s terrible.

    I reviewed it here.

  • @JudgeDredd said:

    @StormJH1 said:
    The Xenyx USB series is supposed to be a USB audio interface, so it should work with CCK. I have two Behringer interfacea (UCA202 & UMC204HD), both are great for what they are and both of them are class compliant.

    I just looked at the xenyx and it looks sweet. However, I don’t think it has a DIN MIDI interface built in, so that’s one thing to consider. The Scarlett and my UMC204HD do, but obviously have far fewer inputs/channels.

    This is why I love this forum, thank you. As your comment got me looking again. I took out the Scarlett and picked up the UMC404HD for lots less with more options and it has great reviews and solves the MIDI link.

    Excellent! I hope it fills all your needs. My needs are pretty limited, but I did want a Swiss Army Knife device that I could just set on my TV stand and have a full interface for MIDI equipment, multiple channels of recording into iPad (albeit only 2 on mine), and a mixer for using studio monitors or headphones. I've had zero problems with the UMC204HD, and certainly nothing resembling glitching or stuttering audio referenced in that thread.

    The reviews for the UMC series from consumers are overwhelmingly positive, and the anecdotal problems people seem to encounter are true across pretty much all affordable interfaces (including those from Focusrite and others). I was not particularly inclined to like Behringer products based on some of their cheap guitar stuff, but the interfaces are great at their price point. I added a $16 USB 2.0 powered hub to run the UMC204HD and added it to all the MIDI and audio cables I already owned. Good luck!

  • I usually avoid behringer products as I've had nothing but problems with them..

    If you're ok with 4 inputs, I'd highly recommend the iconnectaudio4+
    it connects directly to lightning (and can connect three ios devices is you wish)

    it has midi din, usb host of up to 8 ports, 6 channels out, very capable midi routing.. the thing is great.

    I use it in conjunctions with a Launchcontrol XL to control AUM. 64 channel controller (8 banks of 8 channel strips) in a tiny footprint.

  • edited September 2018

    I have the 404HD. I sold a Focusrite 2i2 to get it (same price range, two more inputs, two more outputs, 5-pin MIDI, why not right??)

    For the most part I really like it, the sound is clean, and it has worked great, no need for external power (when using a powered USB hub).

    I do have a few consistent issues:

    • volume knob. So, for some reason when you plug in the 404HD you absolutely have to tap +/- on your iPad's physical volume buttons. Otherwise... no sound, nothing whatsoever. No output at all. Weird, but consistent. You just get used to it. well, until that one time you are in a hurry and can't for the life of me figure out why no sound is coming out of the *&#( interface. ...so I hear.
    • mic input OK this one is really weird. Any host I use with the 404HD requires that I boost the mic/ guitar signal ... a LOT. In Audiobus, in AUM, its the same thing. I can hardly hear anything until I go into Audiobus mixer and boost the input channel +24db. In AUM I add a gain effect and max it at +24db. The funny thing... I don't have to do this when using the 404HD directly in other apps. Running my guitar through ToneStack directly: no problem. gain is correct. Running a mic into Loopy HD directly: no prob. Its so weird, I think it has to do with something about the way Behringer implemented class compliant software. Its just wonky.

    Other than that, yeah its a solid interface

  • @palm said:
    I usually avoid behringer products as I've had nothing but problems with them..

    If you're ok with 4 inputs, I'd highly recommend the iconnectaudio4+
    it connects directly to lightning (and can connect three ios devices is you wish)

    it has midi din, usb host of up to 8 ports, 6 channels out, very capable midi routing.. the thing is great.

    I use it in conjunctions with a Launchcontrol XL to control AUM. 64 channel controller (8 banks of 8 channel strips) in a tiny footprint.

    Can you charge your iPad while you are using the lightning port for the iconnect?

  • @JudgeDredd said:

    Can you charge your iPad while you are using the lightning port for the iconnect?

    yes.

  • edited September 2018

    @JudgeDredd said:

    @palm said:
    I usually avoid behringer products as I've had nothing but problems with them..

    If you're ok with 4 inputs, I'd highly recommend the iconnectaudio4+
    it connects directly to lightning (and can connect three ios devices is you wish)

    it has midi din, usb host of up to 8 ports, 6 channels out, very capable midi routing.. the thing is great.

    I use it in conjunctions with a Launchcontrol XL to control AUM. 64 channel controller (8 banks of 8 channel strips) in a tiny footprint.

    Can you charge your iPad while you are using the lightning port for the iconnect?

    Using CCK3, you can charge the iPad while using any class-compliant interface.

  • edited September 2018

    @mistercharlie said:

    @LucidMusicInc said:
    Roland Go Mixer if you’re interested in an IOS exclusive interface. Yes it exists.

    Don’t buy it. It’s terrible.

    I reviewed it here.

    If I understand your article, if you wanted to use it with a guitar and an Iphone app to get Amp Sim FX then you would find it disappointing because you can't get the processed sound from it. It's primarily intended to mix one or more instruments without any post-processing into an IOS device for recording, correct?

  • @JudgeDredd said:

    @palm said:
    I usually avoid behringer products as I've had nothing but problems with them..

    If you're ok with 4 inputs, I'd highly recommend the iconnectaudio4+
    it connects directly to lightning (and can connect three ios devices is you wish)

    it has midi din, usb host of up to 8 ports, 6 channels out, very capable midi routing.. the thing is great.

    I use it in conjunctions with a Launchcontrol XL to control AUM. 64 channel controller (8 banks of 8 channel strips) in a tiny footprint.

    Can you charge your iPad while you are using the lightning port for the iconnect?

    yes, it charges while connected. so no extra dongles or cables or adapters needed. I love it.

  • another thing is that I can send audio and midi from one ios device to another (two ipads in my case) or from ipad to record directly into ableton with every channel in AUM gets its own track - whether it's processed hardware or Auv3 instruments. Such a flexible setup.

Sign In or Register to comment.