Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Dubstation2 2.0.6 update crashes AUM when used with MIDI controller

Just a heads up that the latest version of Dubstation2 is crashing AUM when used with a MIDI controller. You can reproduce it easily with a new preset. Just load Dubstation2, try to map any control (e.g. delay time) to the MIDI controller of your choice and watch it crash. This really sucks, because I have hardware dedicated to controlling Dubstation2 as well as other effects plugins that I use in AUM. I sent them an email.

Comments

• I imagine this refers to external midi controller. I had a go at trying to reproduce the error by mapping rozeta's midilfo to different controls in dubstation and it worked fine. I dont have an external controller at hand at the moment but will give it a whirl later.
    Good luck with the support call

• @Richtowns said:
    I imagine this refers to external midi controller. I had a go at trying to reproduce the error by mapping rozeta's midilfo to different controls in dubstation and it worked fine. I dont have an external controller at hand at the moment but will give it a whirl later.
    Good luck with the support call

Thanks for trying it out. Yes, I'm using dual Novation Launch Control XLs to control all the parameters in AUM. I was able to reproduce it with my Roland Boutique also, so it's not just the Novation controller. I switched to using Kosmonaut until it's fixed.

• edited September 2018

I’ve tried and midi control of Dubstation2 in AUM via TouchOSC on the same device works fine no crash. Will try with Nanokey Studio.

• I just tested it here and can confirm. I'll take a look and see why/how it crashes AUM... a misbehaving plugin should not crash its host! :)

• edited September 2018

Just tried with Nanokey Studio external midi controller and that works fine on iPhone 7 Plus iOS 11.4.1

• I've fixed the crash on AUMs side regarding this (will come in the next beta). I don't think Dubstation2 is to blame. The problem happened when there was more than one MIDI cc value coming in before the learn was handled, for example when turning a MIDI controller knob fast.

• edited September 2018

@j_liljedahl said:
    I've fixed the crash on AUMs side regarding this (will come in the next beta). I don't think Dubstation2 is to blame. The problem happened when there was more than one MIDI cc value coming in before the learn was handled, for example when turning a MIDI controller knob fast.

Wow! Thanks for fixing it. I really appreciate it. I suspected Dubstation because I've never had AUM crash before and the plugin just got a new update where they did a complete rewrite. Does it work after the controller is mapped? I first had the crash by turning a knob of a parameter that was already mapped. I just added the mapping step to the repro because that's the easiest way to repro it from scratch. I also noticed that not all parameters cause it to crash. The delay time parameter is 100% reproducible.

On another note, I still suspect there is a bug in AUM that was introduced when you added MIDI clock send. I still get drops in MIDI data and weird timing issues that only happen when AUM is loaded. Whether it's AUM or not, it got me to go 95% hardware with my setup. I basically use the iPad with AUM and effects plugins in place of a hardware mixer and effects processors. I don't have MIDI connected to the iPad anymore. I just gave up on that part.

• @chisel316 said:

@j_liljedahl said:
    I've fixed the crash on AUMs side regarding this (will come in the next beta). I don't think Dubstation2 is to blame. The problem happened when there was more than one MIDI cc value coming in before the learn was handled, for example when turning a MIDI controller knob fast.

Wow! Thanks for fixing it. I really appreciate it. I suspected Dubstation because I've never had AUM crash before and the plugin just got a new update where they did a complete rewrite. Does it work after the controller is mapped? I first had the crash by turning a knob of a parameter that was already mapped. I just added the mapping step to the repro because that's the easiest way to repro it from scratch. I also noticed that not all parameters cause it to crash. The delay time parameter is 100% reproducible.

The bug was related to MIDI Learn only, so if you manually dial in the channel and cc number, it should not crash.

On another note, I still suspect there is a bug in AUM that was introduced when you added MIDI clock send. I still get drops in MIDI data and weird timing issues that only happen when AUM is loaded. Whether it's AUM or not, it got me to go 95% hardware with my setup. I basically use the iPad with AUM and effects plugins in place of a hardware mixer and effects processors. I don't have MIDI connected to the iPad anymore. I just gave up on that part.

The current AUM beta has a fully rewritten MIDI engine that should be a lot more stable! It also allows sample-precise jitter free MIDI between AU plugins, etc.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@chisel316 said:

@j_liljedahl said:

The bug was related to MIDI Learn only, so if you manually dial in the channel and cc number, it should not crash.

The current AUM beta has a fully rewritten MIDI engine that should be a lot more stable! It also allows sample-precise jitter free MIDI between AU plugins, etc.

I can reproduce the crash with my saved preset that I've been using for a long time. That's how I first discovered it.

I'm anxious to get this new version! Sounds great.

• @chisel316 said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@chisel316 said:

@j_liljedahl said:

I can reproduce the crash with my saved preset that I've been using for a long time. That's how I first discovered it.

You mean without using the MIDI "learn" button? If so, please PM me your email and I'll add you to my testflight so you can try the current AUM beta (if you wish).

• edited September 2018

Just tested,
    Here only the DS2 crashed, not AUM, and only when trying to control the delay time... e.g dry/wet worked fine. It crashed both with midi learn and manual setup.
    iPhone/Lemur -> iPad/AUM via Bluetooth

• @recccp said:
    Just tested,
    Here only the DS2 crashed, not AUM, and only when trying to control the delay time... e.g dry/wet worked fine. It crashed both with midi learn and manual setup.

Thanks for testing. I noticed that only certain parameters cause it to crash. How can you tell that only DS2 crashed and not AUM? I have DS2 loaded in AUM as an AUv3 plugin. When I change the delay time using my MIDI controller, AUM closes. Do you see different behavior?

• @chisel316 said:

@recccp said:
    Just tested,

Thanks for testing. I noticed that only certain parameters cause it to crash. How can you tell that only DS2 crashed and not AUM? I have DS2 loaded in AUM as an AUv3 plugin. When I change the delay time using my MIDI controller, AUM closes. Do you see different behavior?

AUM still responsive, but DS2 chrashed

• Okay, thanks. That's different than what I see.

• @j_liljedahl @Chris_Randall
    Just tested on my mini2 as well... luckily it is still on iOS 11.4 with DS2 before latest update.
    Same midi source in all cases (iPhone/Lemur)
    Air2 iOS 12, DS2 latest - changing delay time crashes the plugin.
    Mini2 iOS 11.4, DS2 before latest update - worked as expected.
    After updating DS2 to latest it crashed the host.

• @recccp Thanks for testing it out!

• @recccp said:

@chisel316 said:

@recccp said:
    Just tested,

AUM still responsive, but DS2 chrashed

This is what I see as well, when changing the delay time parameter from outside. This is clearly a bug in DS2, though, and not related to the "MIDI learn" bug I just fixed in AUM.

• @j_liljedahl said:

The MIDI engine in your latest beta appears to be rock solid! I'm so thrilled that this is finally working again. Now I can use my MIDI apps. :)

Thanks!