Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Check This Out: NON iOS Tablet Music Making

2»

Comments

• @SevenSystems said:
    @Audiojunkie haha yes, makes sense, definitely. I actually have another list that describes all the odd steps I had to take to make the system roughly usable, so... cheers!! ;)

etc. :)

Yeah, I've got a list of favorite apps that work well (like what you've got there. And I've also got a separate list of instructions on setting up a low-latency kernel, making GRUB boot it properly every time I reboot, and configuration notes for ALSA and JACKD setups. I keep telling myself that I will one day write a very clear and concise document that others can follow to set up any Ubuntu-based distro for audio. But I've never gotten around to it. :smile:

• @Audiojunkie said:

@MobileMusic said:

@Audiojunkie said:

@SevenSystems said:
    Right now, it's actually surprisingly difficult to find a modern OS that is close to perfect for an efficient working environment...

• Windows 7: Good overall, but soon abandoned. Outdated UI.
    • Windows 10: Has all this online / ad / phone home stuff, seems good otherwise
    • Ubuntu Linux etc.: Too many rough edges and hardware compatibility and software availability issues, but nicely customizable
    • macOS: inefficient UI/UX, unstable and slow

Time to start working on "SystemSeven" ;)

I've been working with Linux for a while now, and there aren't really any rough edges anymore. Everything works great! I'm using it with a native version of Reaper. There is one downside though, and it is a big one--very few native plugins--very few! However, with the current capability of WINE, almost all Windows audio apps work without problems--even the ones using PACE or iLOK. I'd sure like to see some growth in native apps though....

macOS takes about 3-4 week’s to get used to it’s UI and nerdy keyboard shortcuts and after that, you’ll never go back to anything else. It is actually faster than windows and beautiful. It is stable and runs for months without a restart. MacBooks last for years. For graphics, audio, video editing and students there is no better o/s. For kids who keep downloading malicious software, macOS is the best (happened in my kid’s case who ruined his windows laptop beyond repair - once on MacOS, no issues). And there is no equivalent ecosystem on windows. Since macOS is built on top of Unix it is the best of both worlds for web development. Been on macOS since 2007 and couldn’t be happier. At work, I use W10 but I liked windows 8.

I've always been short on the cash needed to keep up a macOS lifestyle. Hehehe!! :smiley: That's probably the biggest reason I use my iPhone and not an iPad (my job requires that I have a phone, so I have one). Linux is free and doesn't have the corporate big brother attitude, which is probably the big reason why I prefer it. But I don't really have a loyalty to any OS. I work in IT and have enough experience with each of the main OSes to know that they each have their strengths and weaknesses. The ideal solution would be to have an OS that contains the polish and ease of use of the MacOS, the application and industry compatibility/acceptance of Windows, with the freedom, flexibility and cost of Linux.

I’ve used Linux at times and have had two experiences with Mint. An old windows 7 laptop ran well on it for a few years. Eventually I succumbed to updating due to the older release having trouble running the latest versions of some software. From that moment on I had nothing but trouble with the newer builds. Seemed like night and day.

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@Audiojunkie said:

@MobileMusic said:

@Audiojunkie said:

@SevenSystems said:
    Right now, it's actually surprisingly difficult to find a modern OS that is close to perfect for an efficient working environment...

• Windows 7: Good overall, but soon abandoned. Outdated UI.
    • Windows 10: Has all this online / ad / phone home stuff, seems good otherwise
    • Ubuntu Linux etc.: Too many rough edges and hardware compatibility and software availability issues, but nicely customizable
    • macOS: inefficient UI/UX, unstable and slow

Time to start working on "SystemSeven" ;)

I've been working with Linux for a while now, and there aren't really any rough edges anymore. Everything works great! I'm using it with a native version of Reaper. There is one downside though, and it is a big one--very few native plugins--very few! However, with the current capability of WINE, almost all Windows audio apps work without problems--even the ones using PACE or iLOK. I'd sure like to see some growth in native apps though....

macOS takes about 3-4 week’s to get used to it’s UI and nerdy keyboard shortcuts and after that, you’ll never go back to anything else. It is actually faster than windows and beautiful. It is stable and runs for months without a restart. MacBooks last for years. For graphics, audio, video editing and students there is no better o/s. For kids who keep downloading malicious software, macOS is the best (happened in my kid’s case who ruined his windows laptop beyond repair - once on MacOS, no issues). And there is no equivalent ecosystem on windows. Since macOS is built on top of Unix it is the best of both worlds for web development. Been on macOS since 2007 and couldn’t be happier. At work, I use W10 but I liked windows 8.

I've always been short on the cash needed to keep up a macOS lifestyle. Hehehe!! :smiley: That's probably the biggest reason I use my iPhone and not an iPad (my job requires that I have a phone, so I have one). Linux is free and doesn't have the corporate big brother attitude, which is probably the big reason why I prefer it. But I don't really have a loyalty to any OS. I work in IT and have enough experience with each of the main OSes to know that they each have their strengths and weaknesses. The ideal solution would be to have an OS that contains the polish and ease of use of the MacOS, the application and industry compatibility/acceptance of Windows, with the freedom, flexibility and cost of Linux.

I’ve used Linux at times and have had two experiences with Mint. An old windows 7 laptop ran well on it for a few years. Eventually I succumbed to updating due to the older release having trouble running the latest versions of some software. From that moment on I had nothing but trouble with the newer builds. Seemed like night and day.

One key thing about Linux is hardware compatibility. I've experienced exactly what you are talking about too. Nowadays, when I am getting ready to buy or build a new system, I research and make sure every component is well supported. Since doing that, I've not had any troubles at all. But I can totally relate to what you experienced. :smile:

• The worst part for me was the extreme slowness of the graphics (twice as slow as on Windows, with custom Nvidia drivers verified to be working and enabled), that really killed it for me. Granted, while that box has a killer CPU, its graphics are as bad as it gets (GeForce 210), but still, it performed decently, if not spectacularly, under Windows.

But yeah, as @Audiojunkie said, you buy hardware for Linux, not the other way around. And what I still sorely miss is the customizability. My Mint desktop was SO beautiful AND efficient! :cry: