Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Usable MIDI Clock out of Logic Pro (as Master) to Quantum Seq (as Slave) via Bluetooth?

I am trying to sync Quantum (on my iPhone 7) to Logic Pro X (on my MacBook Pro: 15", 2017, OS 10.12.6) so that when I press play in Logic Quantum plays along in sync.

I was able to get Quantum to receive Master Clock from Logic via Bluetooth but it's basically unusable as the tempo drifts severely. Has anyone here been able to get tight and reliable sync using Bluetooth between their computer and iOS app?

Comments

• wimwim
    edited September 2018

Does Logic support Ableton Link? That’s the only reliable clock I’ve seen over the air in any form. Is a wired connection not an option?

• @wim

No. Yes, from what I've read Ableton Link is the way to go. Unfortunately I'm pretty heavily invested in Logic so switching to a Ableton Link supported DAW isn't really an option for me.

• wimwim
    edited September 2018

You will probably need to go with a wired connection then. I’ve heard some people claiming success with over the air connections, but that’s not my experience (caveat: I’m not a Mac user). Even my Bluetooth Korg NanoKEY Studio doesn’t try to send clock over Bluetooth. It disables clock send except when wired to the device. If a dedicated hardware controller doesn’t attempt it, I’ve got to think it’s a stretch to make it reliable.

The only niggling doubt about what I say is if Link can do it, then I wonder what’s different about that protocol that makes it more useable. Oh well.

• Also seems odd that if everyone acknowledges Ableton Link is the way to go then why doesn't Logic (and others) just adopt it already!

I would actually prefer to use a wired setup but I can't figure out how to physically connect my laptop to the CCK. Currently I have my iPhone connected to CCK and then I have a USB 2.0 hub connected to the CCK (which I have two BCF2000's connected to). So how to connect the MacBook, which only has USB C ports to the USB 2.0 hub? Would something like THIS work?

• @morbank said:
    Also seems odd that if everyone acknowledges Ableton Link is the way to go then why doesn't Logic (and others) just adopt it already!

NIH (Not Invented Here) syndrome.

I’ll have to leave the connectivity help to the Mac users out there.

• @morbank said:
    Also seems odd that if everyone acknowledges Ableton Link is the way to go then why doesn't Logic (and others) just adopt it already!

I would actually prefer to use a wired setup but I can't figure out how to physically connect my laptop to the CCK. Currently I have my iPhone connected to CCK and then I have a USB 2.0 hub connected to the CCK (which I have two BCF2000's connected to). So how to connect the MacBook, which only has USB C ports to the USB 2.0 hub? Would something like THIS work?

No, you don't even use the CCK because both Mac and iDevice are USB hosts.
    You can simply use a Lightning-to-USB-C adapter collection like Apple designed it :D and use something like Midimux/Studiomux or Apple's native Mac+iOS11 solution.

• I tried a USB C to USB 2.0 cable and got the following message on my iPhone "Cannot Use Device. Macintosh: The connected device is not supported"... Dud.

Guess I'll looking into something like a iConnectMIDI2+ or iRig MIDI 2. I will report back with my findings...

• @morbank said:
    I tried a USB C to USB 2.0 cable and got the following message on my iPhone "Cannot Use Device. Macintosh: The connected device is not supported"... Dud.

Guess I'll looking into something like a iConnectMIDI2+ or iRig MIDI 2. I will report back with my findings...

No, it's possible with just the Lightning to USB cable.
    midimittr is another app, free, that allows for MIDI over USB. Use the same cable that you connect your iDevice with iTunes on your Mac.
    Note that you have to install a tiny server app on your Mac before you can use the MIDI connection.

• Can’t you accomplish this with IDAM? Connect Mac to hub, plug iPad to hub via lightning, setup IDAM in AudioMidi setup on Mac.
    I don’t have time to try it myself.

• With "Apple's native Mac+iOS11 solution" i meant to say IDAM with MIDI support.

• @rs2000 Can you give me an example of a "tiny server app"?

@yowza I don't know IDAM, but I will look into it now... Thanks!

• i use idam for audio/visual capture of an ipad on my macbookpro using quicktime. Ive not tried it for midi though.
    I usually use two small usb midi devices back to back (with one usb connected to cck the other to the pc and ins matched to outs).
    one of my usb devices doesnt work on ios the other does.
    Note, make sure your ipad has 60%+ charge as that can give a false ‘not supported’ message

• @morbank said:
    @rs2000 Can you give me an example of a "tiny server app"?

Whatever app you decide to use (if not using IDAM), just follow the developer website link in the AppStore. You'll be guided to the server download and installation instructions.

• @rs2000 MIDImittr USB does indeed work for me. I am able to control Quantum from Logic and the sync is nice and tight. But since I have my MacBook connected directly to my iPhone via a USB C to Lightning cable (apple brand) I'm not able to use the CCK! If I do connect the Lightning end of the cable coming from my computer into the Lightning port on the CCK (which I was using to charge my phone) MIDImittr on my MacBook no longer sees my phone. AHH, I am so close!

• @morbank said:
    @rs2000 MIDImittr USB does indeed work for me. I am able to control Quantum from Logic and the sync is nice and tight. But since I have my MacBook connected directly to my iPhone via a USB C to Lightning cable (apple brand) I'm not able to use the CCK! If I do connect the Lightning end of the cable coming from my computer into the Lightning port on the CCK (which I was using to charge my phone) MIDImittr on my MacBook no longer sees my phone. AHH, I am so close!

Why still use the CCK when you already have the MIDI connection running?
    If you want to sequence ext. MIDI gear you can just attach a MIDI i/f to your Mac USB port and route MIDI messages between the midimittr server and the USB MIDI interface.

• Why still use the CCK when you already have the MIDI connection running?
    If you want to sequence ext. MIDI gear you can just attach a MIDI i/f to your Mac USB port and route MIDI messages between the midimittr server and the USB MIDI interface.

Well I'm not exactly sequencing the external MIDI gear. I am using two BCF2000 MIDI controllers to control Quantum via CC's. I see what you are saying though. It should be possible to connect the BCF2000's to a USB hub that is connected to my computer and then use MIDImittr to route the MIDI messages from Quantum to the BCF2000s, right? I will see if I can get this to work...

• I was able to get things working last night. I am now able to play tracks in Logic in sync with Quantum as it sequences my Nord Drum 2 sound module and while this is happening I can control Quantum via two BCF2000 controllers who's motorized faders are in turn updated via Quantum, whew!

Honestly I'm not exactly sure how it is all working but it is. Below is a description of my current setup...

Devices and Connections:

• iPhone 7 connected to my MacBook Pro via Apple brand Thunderbolt to Lightning cable.
    • 2 x BCF2000's connected to a USB hub via USB MIDI to USB 2.0 cables. USB hub connected to MacBook via USB C cable. Both BCF's set to MIDI Ch 1.
    • Nord Drum 2's MIDI IN port connected to BCF2000's MIDI OUT port via 5-Pin MIDI cable. Nord Drum 2 set to MIDI Ch 1.

MacBook Pro: 15", 2017, OS 10.12.6 App Settings:
    - Logic Pro X 10.4.1: Preferences/Project Settings/MIDI/MIDI Clock settings: "Transmit to/Destination 1" set to "midiLE USB Dest", with "Transmit MMC" enabled. I also created two external MIDI tracks in Logic and assigned their channels to "BCF2000 Port 1" for each, and with their MIDI channels also set to Ch 1. NOTE: Both tracks need to be 'record enabled' for the BCF's to communicate with Quantum.
    - Audio MIDI Setup: "MIDI Network Setup" "Session enabled"
    - MIDImittr (OS X): Shows that my iPhone is connected.

iPhone 7 11.4.1 App Settings:
    - Quantum 1.8: Devices/MIDI Output - Global/Output menu settings: Quantum set to "ActiveON" and "Send MIDI for" set to send note and CC data. Devices/MIDI Input - Global/Input menu settings: Quantum set to "Active ON" and "Receive MIDI Clock" set to ON. Options menu settings: "Tempo Master/Slave or MIDI Note In" set to "Slave, "MIDI MMC Start/Stop" set to ON, "MIDI Clock" set to ON.
    - MIDImittr (iOS): Sources: "midimittr USB Source" and "Quantum" are both enabled. Destinations: ""midimittr USB Destination" and "Quantum" are both enabled.

Things might get more complicated once I start trying to use other external MIDI devices but for now it seems to be working as it should.

• @morbank
    Do you know the Logic environment? That seems like the best place to do this kind of routing stuff independent from your arrangement. See: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH13245?locale=en_US

Or, make your life easier by using a simple MIDI router like
    https://github.com/icaroferre/MIDIRouter/releases
    or
    http://www.subtlesoft.square7.net/MidiPipe.html.

MidiPipe is my own fav because it can translate MIDI messages too, sometimes that's quite handy, and it's dead easy to use.

• @rs2000

I know of the Environment but I don’t know my way around it. MIDIPipe looks more my speed! When you say “independent from your arangment” are you saying there’s a way to route the MIDI elsewhere so that I wouldn’t need to create the record enabled tracks for the two BCF’s?

• @morbank said:
    @rs2000

I know of the Environment but I don’t know my way around it. MIDIPipe looks more my speed! When you say “independent from your arangment” are you saying there’s a way to route the MIDI elsewhere so that I wouldn’t need to create the record enabled tracks for the two BCF’s?

Exactly. You'd do the routing in the environment, save it as a template and still have an empty arrangement window free for your music.
    There's a number of tutorials, youtube vids and forums on the subject, it's actually not that hard if you take the time to watch and read about it.
    I've only used it once to make one knob of my controller keyboard transpose the incoming MIDI in the range of 5 octaves (the keyboard had no octave switch but CC knobs).

• @rs2000 Sounds doable, thanks for the insight!

• @rs2000 Can you please elaborate on what you said earlier?

When you say "route MIDI messages between the midimittr server and the USB MIDI interface" how would you go about doing this? Is it done in Logic's Environment, MIDImittr OS X, MIDImittr iOS or in the Audio MIDI Setup app? As I said before, I am using Quantum to control the BCF's and vice-versa so I need:

• Quantum to be able to receive only MIDI clock from Logic via MIDImittr.
    • I also need Quantum to be able to send MIDI output note data to a drum module.
    • And I'd need both BCF's and Quantum to send and receive MIDI CC data from each other, but I don't want Quantum to receive any CC data from Logic aside from the clock.

Currently I have Logic as master clock for Quantum and I have a USB hub connected to my MacBook with the two BCF2000's connected. The BCF's show up in Logic as selectable MIDI devices/instruments but but they are no longer listed in Quantum's Device menu, which is how I was previously using them with Quantum. I have also now set Quantum to output MIDI CC's in the Device menu but I just don't understand how to tell the two BCF's to listen to Quantum's output? Any help is greatly appreciated.

When you say "route MIDI messages between the midimittr server and the USB MIDI interface" how would you go about doing this? Is it done in Logic's Environment, MIDImittr OS X, MIDImittr iOS or in the Audio MIDI Setup app? As I said before, I am using Quantum to control the BCF's and vice-versa so I need:

• I also need Quantum to be able to send MIDI output note data to a drum module.
    • And I'd need both BCF's and Quantum to send and receive MIDI CC data from each other, but I don't want Quantum to receive any CC data from Logic aside from the clock.

Currently I have Logic as master clock for Quantum and I have a USB hub connected to my MacBook with the two BCF2000's connected. The BCF's show up in Logic as selectable MIDI devices/instruments but but they are no longer listed in Quantum's Device menu, which is how I was previously using them with Quantum. I have also now sQuantum set to output MIDI CC's in the Device menu but I don't understand how to tell the two BCF's to listen to Quantum's output?

Currently I have Logic as master clock for Quantum and I have a USB hub connected to my MacBook with the two BCF2000's connected. The BCF's show up in Logic as selectable MIDI devices/instruments but but they are no longer listed in Quantum's Device menu, which is how I was previously using them with Quantum. I have also now set Quantum to output MIDI CC's in the Device menu but I just don't understand how to tell the two BCF's to listen to Quantum's output? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Currently I have Logic as master clock for Quantum and I have a USB hub connected to my MacBook with the two BCF2000's connected. The BCF's show up in Logic as selectable MIDI devices/instruments but but they are no longer listed in Quantum's Device menu, which is how I was previously using them with Quantum. I have also now sQuantum set to output MIDI CC's in the Device menu but I don't understand how to tell the two BCF's to listen to Quantum's output?

• @rs2000 Sorry about the multiple posts. I'm not sure why there are 4 of them? This was actually a post I tried to send several days ago and got a message that said something like "your comment will be posted once it is reviewed"?

Is there a way to delete posted comments?

• Back on topic... I just tried setting up the exact same configuration that I had working last night but now Quantum isn't getting CC data from the BCF's. I can send CC data from Quantum to the BCF's (faders move) and if I move the faders on the BCF's I can see that Logic is receiving MIDI data but not Quantum. I have Quantum set to receive MIDI but no dice. Anyone have any idea what might be causing Quantum to not receive CC data even though all the setting are e the same as they were previously?

• edited September 2018

Good to hear that you're almost there! :)
    Make sure the BCF doesn't "thru" the incoming MIDI messages. It has a "soft-thru" setting that might cause Logic to detect a MIDI loop and automatically disable one direction of MIDI data flow..

• As for filtering MIDI CC but not clock, you can either do this in Logic's environment or use MidiPipe to filter out MIDI CC in one direction. You need a pipe for every direction.

• @rs2000 said:
    Good to hear that you're almost there! :)
    Make sure the BCF doesn't "thru" the incoming MIDI messages. It has a "soft-thru" setting that might cause Logic to detect a MIDI loop and automatically disable one direction of MIDI data flow..

Thanks for the help rs! So the only mention I can find in the BCF manual about MIDI thru is that it says MIDI output B can be set to MIDI thru in the USB-U-2 mode. But I'm not using MIDI output B and both BCF's are in U-4 mode? Maybe the "soft thru" you mention is part of the 'emulation modes'? The emulation modes aren't covered in the manual so I'm not sure about their functions. I am using the default "B-Control Mode" on both units.