Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Testing in Mono

Has anyone got any tips on how to test in mono. I’ve found a mono setting in iOS accessibility settings. Do I need to test with one speaker somehow? Is headphones still ok?

Also what am I looking for? Just phasing issues?

I’m nearly ready to upload my ep to distrokid but want to test a few more scenarios. I’ve done car test, 2 types of headphones (good and average), and speakers at low volume. Think that’s about as good as I can do :)

Comments

• I’ve just done a listen through in mono with one headphone in and it sounds fine. I can definitely hear the difference if I switch from mono to stereo (obviously) but nothing disappears in the mix and I can’t hear any phase issues that I know of. Everything is still punchy - in fact some bits sound slightly better!

I did notice reverb is slightly diminished in mono but I gather this is uncontrollable so not going to worry, and it doesn’t affect things too much.

So I think I’ve answered my own question, but any advice from someone more experienced than me would be appreciated!

• I use the mono audio setting a lot, just with two headphone speakers, so technically not true mono but it’s definitely enough to hear phasing issues. I like to actually compose and do sound design in mono too, if it sounds great that way, it will always sound amazing flipping back to stereo, with a few adjustments perhaps but still great. Basically i treat it as a way to put the audio under a microscope so to speak, to have a closer look/listen

• Agreed with all above and on iOS yes, that’s the setting you’re looking for. I’ll usually switch between mono and stereo while putting a track together, then once I believe I’m done I listen in mono to check levels (basses are usually much too loud) and then level set / EQ accordingly. I’m no mix guru but I’ve been complimented and it seems to help!

• @db909 said:
    I use the mono audio setting a lot, just with two headphone speakers, so technically not true mono but it’s definitely enough to hear phasing issues. I like to actually compose and do sound design in mono too, if it sounds great that way, it will always sound amazing flipping back to stereo, with a few adjustments perhaps but still great. Basically i treat it as a way to put the audio under a microscope so to speak, to have a closer look/listen

Thanks. That’s useful. I’m going to use it much earlier in the process on future tracks

• @gregsmith said:

@db909 said:
    I use the mono audio setting a lot, just with two headphone speakers, so technically not true mono but it’s definitely enough to hear phasing issues. I like to actually compose and do sound design in mono too, if it sounds great that way, it will always sound amazing flipping back to stereo, with a few adjustments perhaps but still great. Basically i treat it as a way to put the audio under a microscope so to speak, to have a closer look/listen

Thanks. That’s useful. I’m going to use it much earlier in the process on future tracks

Yeah give it a try, see how it works for you. A lot of the time, I just keep the settings open in the background so I can flip back and forth whenever