Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

PROJECT X / EDM MEETS CLASSICAL

edited August 2018 in Creations

Well, no rest for the wicked. Last night's all nighter produced the following piece, hopefully the first movement of Synthony No.2. Improvised as always.

I decided I would use actual synthesizer patches this time, and though Beathawk continues to be a problem for me I used the Haines Pad in the EDM expansion pack for the eerie retro scifi feel about a minute in. Recorded in Cubasis using AB3, with my standby RC275 piano (still no pedal), iFrettless Bass and Brass, iSymphonic strings, microsonic EP and Digikeys, and the aforementioned Haines Pad in Beathawk. Mixing was a bitch due to repeated submixes putting the original instruments out of my reach. The usual FX suspects, Waves Ultramaximizer, Q10 and CUbasis onboard chorus, reverb, channel strip and compressor.

Advance word from my forum cronies indicate this might be my best yet, though after ten hours of listening my ears are quite gone. I welcome technical advice and any comments you might have. Thanks for listening!

Comments

• Nice work! I like it. Keeps you listening...

• It's hard to imagine improvising with an orchestra but that's what you do. I've seen synth players perform orchestral pieces live but they practiced and memorized the piece.

Improvising complex layered music is just in a field by itself. Isn't technology an empowering toolkit? You would never write all those notes out and we'd never hear these sounds.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Dawdles said:

Thanks for sharing that... that's the Wizard's Console for sure.

I bought AudioBus Remote (which supports the Forum hosts I think financially) and I'm wondering how many tracks of IOS I can use at once with MidiFlow and 1 or 2 controllers.

I noticed Mike's new composition really uses a synth effectively to take the music to the next level on his journey to discovery of IOS capabilities. I know he loves Thor but I'm not sure which synth is being deployed here. Any guesses? He has AK SynthOne and SynthMaster One but Thor usually get deployed in his mixes.

• On the subject of submixes, if you do a mixdown of a group of soloed tracks, then import the mixdown as a new track and mute the originals, you always have the option to go back and tweak. In fact, if you first of all mix down all your original tracks soloed individually, you can remove the tracks after submixing instead of muting them, because you can always reload them if you need to.

• edited August 2018

Thanks @TheOriginalPaulB. Not sure I follow exactly. I mix down as audio stereo tracks ( one track, two waveforms). Do you mean reloading the project in Cubasis? I am having trouble freezing tracks, Beathawk and ISymphonic crashing continually or freezing my screen. I am in need of greater RAM as well as I am using an iPad4.

@scadet , thanks for listening! Glad to meet you. Your comment was music to my ears. I appreciate it very much!

@Dawdles. Thanks for the listen and comment. The first Synthony is only 23 minutes. Use those two extra minutes wisely! I listened to that mad scientist Van G. What a setup. He has more pedals than I have apps! First I wanted to hide under a rock, but listening to the music I was disappointed.... such bombast. Full of sound and fury, signifying.... well, he is entitled to show off, but the music, at least in this instance, is derivative of himself and the other greats of today. Less is more, VanG!

@McDtracy, I used the Haines pad in Beathawk's EDM pack for the sci-fi sound. I hope to employ at least one synth sound in each of the next three movements. Yes, you are right. I could never notate this stuff, although maybe on SymphonyPro. And without the iOS tools I would be dead in the water or on desktop and having a lot less fun doing battle with the instabilities. Thanks for your kind attention and support!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks @Max23. Good to hear from you!

• I’m talking about changing your approach while recording and mixing. Record a part, if it’s midi solo it and mix down to audio, import and then mute the midi, if it’s audio just mix it down. Do the same for any overdubbed tracks you record. Apart from being easier on cpu, it means that no matter what submixes you do of multiple tracks, you will always have access to the original tracks if you need to redo the mix.

• @LinearLineman said:
    @McDtracy, I used the Haines pad

I thought a "Haine's Pad" was a liner you put in your undies for incontinence. Sounds good tho'.

• Well, at 70 that might be appropriate.... Actually listed as Pad Haines, so maybe built along the lines of a Vietnamese noodle dish and not a lament about his enlarged prostate. We can hope.