Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Patterning and Logic Pro

Any way to connect Patterning on the iPad to Logic Pro? Send MIDI, get any sound? (I'm not talking about exporting .wav files, just saying)

I can control Mersenne with an Arturia Keystep connected to my Mac, get sound and record MIDI into a Logic track. No luck with Patterning 1 - Keystep not needed.

Tips on how to?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Try iConnect Midi 2+. It helped me throughout the years.

• @Syngularity said:
    Try iConnect Midi 2+. It helped me throughout the years.

Thank you. I was hoping to exclude the middleman ;)

Alchemy in Logic is by far my favourite synth. I could just stuck to Mac + controller. However I miss a beat sequencer as user friendly as Patterning. That's why I wanted to try to put them together (without too many cables/devices).

• It’s supposed to be somewhere some IDAM thing that should do the job; but with logic I have no idea where to look for it

• I think you set up IDAM in the Audio Midi setup app first and then it's available in Logic or where ever.

• @yowza said:
    I think you set up IDAM in the Audio Midi setup app first and then it's available in Logic or where ever.

That’s the trick. Skip the iConnect hardware and plug straight in with a lightning charging cable.

• Btw:
    Find the audio midi setup
    In the audio window you should enable the iDevice as a sound interface for every time you plug it in.
    Within this context the I connect path is more agile: set and forget

• Thank you all for your help. I almost made it: got sound from Patterning to Logic but no sync, no recording.

Maybe Patterning 2 has better sync options? But I don't want to purchase if I'm not sure I can do this.

@mschenkel.it said:
    Within this context the I connect path is more agile: set and forget

I'm sure it is. And it is in my mind but first I want to try as minimal as I can.

• edited August 2018

Sync is going to be on the midi side not audio so you might have to check Patterning’s midi settings to send sync out and then in Logic set clock sync in. It sounds like you only have the audio set up now. You may have to set midi up in the Audio midi app first.

• MacOS can send/receive MIDI and receive audio. It is built into High Sierra and iOS 11. Do a Google search and you will find lots of info.

• Thanks for the help

• Can I get a PC to communicate like that to an iPad though. I read that when people try it via “Studiomux “ there is an element of frustration inclvolved

• That looks like an ideal solution for an ios/pc daw user. But it’s a little alarming that every review talks about the device’s steep learning curve. For an audio interface?

• It looks like you’ve got this sorted but just in case anyone else is reading:

—Plug in your iPad to your Mac via Lightning cable.
    —On your Mac, open Audio MIDI Settings and go to the Audio devices panel. Click “Enable” on the iPad device. From here, you can also create a composite device; I don’t have one set up at the moment, but it’s super easy and there are step by steps all over Google.
    —In Patterning, go to Clock Settings and select “IDAM” for MIDI Clock Receive and/or Send (I usually just set it to Receive).
    —In Logic, go to Audio Settings and select ”iPad” as your input. Then, go to “File -> Project Settings -> Synchronization,” click the “MIDI” tab, and set it to transmit MIDI Clock to iPad.

At this point, everything should be working. Since Patterning is its own ultra-capable sequencer, I usually just set up an audio track. I’m pretty sure Patterning can send MIDI, though, so you can also use the External Instrument plugin to record and edit the sequence. I’m having trouble getting this up and running in Patterning 2 but I’m 80% certain I was able to do it in the first version...

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    That looks like an ideal solution for an ios/pc daw user. But it’s a little alarming that every review talks about the device’s steep learning curve. For an audio interface?

It is a bit(much) more than a audio interface(which actually is not in some way): the iconnect midi line, despite having their audio passthru which can open a bidirectional audio pipeline to a pc, is mostly about midi. Example given is me: when I will be willing to get my iCm2 out of the chaos box under my desk, I will most likely disable the audio part and just go for the midi because(here comes the learning curve):
    It has a highly configurable midi matrix inside with filters, routing and whatnot which that can definitely be overwhelming, but I heard they changed the software to access these settings so maybe it got better/easier.

• I love the ICM4+ to bits, their Audio pass through thing was the greatest idea ever, and it works effortlessly. It takes a little getting used to the midipatchbay, but that’‘s because there‘s so many possibilities here. Me I just love having possibilities, even though I might not take advantage of most of them.

The IDAM part with a Mac is also great, I like to use it for fast spontaneous sessions (and it‘s easy to aggregate IDAM with other devices, too.
    Great times...