Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Trying Aum as a Cubasis buss - Toad Style

EDBEDB
edited August 2018 in Support and Feedback

Hi everyone,
here’s a new practice track for feedback and critique if you fancy.

Toad Style
https://choon.co/tracks/0sapst8r495/toad-style

Some details:
I’ve been going through compression and eq vids and a lot of them show group bussing. With Cubasis not doing groups and it also dying a lot when I’ve too many ProQs running I thought I’d try the following;

• Structure the track in Cubasis with basic eq
  • Mixdown with ‘as individual tracks’ turned on
  • Set up an Aum template for each group: drums, bass, pads, vox and fx
  • Each channel within a group has Maxima and ProQ and outputs to a single channel with its own Maxima/ProQ.** This is where things were better in Aum, I can run way more plugins per channel in aum than in Cubasis plus ProQ won’t go full screen in Cubasis.**
  • Record each bus (the files all match the structure made in Cubasis so just press Rec in Aum)
  • Setup a template for All with a channel for each of the finished groups. Added Maxima and ProQ to each channel and the final master channel.
  • Recorded the final group in Aum (again all sync cause of the Cubasis structure)

Outcome
The tune itself is shockingly over compressed but I did enjoy the iPad processor freedom of running individual things through Aum. I also learnt a lot more about compressors (though the results are a bit wonky) and having ProQ run hapilly instead of being on the edge of crashing was a dream.

Overall I’ve learnt it’s still way better to be able to do everything in one place so I’m still going to try making a workflow that works similar in Cubasis.

Would really love some feedback on better workflow suggestions for this type of thing. I also left in a lot of the mistakes in the track (e.g. over compressed vocals) as eventually I’d gone too far in aum and it was difficult to go backwards.

As always apologies for destroying ears and thanks for a listen, any feedback on the methods much appreciated (song structure etc not so much cause it’s a ‘make and move on’ track for practice).

Cheers, superstars!

Comments

• hey there,

I really like this one, always liked the dark side. I start off with the kick drum. You need to have more transient in there. One way would be to add a new layer from the first part of a clicky drum sample over the existing kick drum sample and adjust to higher frequencies for different transient effects. You can even just duplicate the original kick, layer and adjust pitch to taste. Many other ways to add more transient of course.

Again I like this one.

• EDBEDB
    edited August 2018

Cause is pic a better than a wall of text:

Was a rough version, doesn’t match the description. In this one I tried to run all the files (around 10) and groups in one aum template but eventually the cpu would fritz and crash the ProQs who’d then forget what their settings were. Hence the move to an aum template for each group (around 3 or 4 files/channels per template group).

• @[Deleted User] said:
    hey there,

I really like this one, always liked the dark side. I start off with the kick drum. You need to have more transient in there. One way would be to add a new layer from the first part of a clicky drum sample over the existing kick drum sample and adjust to higher frequencies for different transient effects. You can even just duplicate the original kick, layer and adjust pitch to taste. Many other ways to add more transient of course.

Again I like this one.

Cheers man! Your comments are spot on to what I’m trying to practice with a different ‘thing’ each track so I can see what I like and get as much varied practice in as possible on different tracks.
    Need that practice, practice, practice to catch you guys up :p
    Thanks again, and glad you liked it whoop

• edited August 2018

@EDB said:

@[Deleted User] said:
    hey there,

Again I like this one.

Cheers man! Your comments are spot on to what I’m trying to practice with a different ‘thing’ each track so I can see what I like and get as much varied practice in as possible on different tracks.

If you keep producing tracks at this rate you will be teaching us all something in no time! In fact you already are!

• @[Deleted User] stupid question, should I start with the kick becuase I never go back and fix it/duplicate?
    ...I think I’m answering my own question lol

• @[Deleted User] said:

@EDB said:

@[Deleted User] said:
    hey there,

Again I like this one.

If you keep producing tracks at this rate you will be teaching us all something in no time! In fact you already are!

Ha! I can’t imagine what I’m teaching other than ‘shoehorn it’.
    And also to add ‘kinda’ to that old “does it sound right yes/no”.
    Thx for the props man, means a lot :thumbsup:

• @EDB said:
    @[Deleted User] stupid question, should I start with the kick becuase I never go back and fix it/duplicate?
    ...I think I’m answering my own question lol

oh, i mentioned the Kick because i noticed that first. I mean to create more transient you can actually just layer the same kick over itself. You leave the original sampled kick as it is and the other you can mess with the pitch/length to create more transient. Nowadays most people will have maybe up to three or more samples layered to create a kick drum. Same goes for the Snare.

• It’s funny you mention it cause it’s something I’ve been meaning to do a practice on. Kick, snare and hats, when to compress, when to sidechain etc etc. Need to get off the theory and into the practice ;)