Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Compressors: Which? How? Why? Ideas? Experiences?

2»

Comments

• @richardyot said:
    Attack times really depend on what is being compressed. Rhythmic elements that have important transients (drums, percussion etc) usually need slow attack times to preserve the punchy transients, but there are times where you will need to reduce sharp transients, with vocals especially, in which case a fast attack is perfectly appropriate.

For vocals I usually use a very fast attack to tame any plosives, and a slow release to avoid obvious pumping, and a ratio of around 4:1 to 5:1.

Which apps would you use for each scenario?

• @hisdudeness said:

@LinearLineman said:
    @RUST( i )K , @Janosax , @Multicellular What iOS compressors have a good set of presets, please?

Depends what you are looking to compress

For me I primarily compress vocals
    iphone Bark Filter (Tripleband is a great starting point)
    IPAD - Pro C2 .. presets available
    Positive Grid - Final Touch lots and lots of presets ( though I prefer Pro C) ... Modeled on Ozone .. but this is ipad only
    Drums - Maxima (no brainer)

Very similar here.

I don't think many people realize the high quality of the BARK app from Virsyn.

Maxima is a dream app fo sure.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@OscarSouth said:
    I’d be interested to hear about people’s experience in which conpressors are most processor usage friendly.

For what type of use?

Drums?

Master?

Just in general. For most compression I need live I use I either use AUM nodes, built in BM3 effects or Amazing Noises Limiter. If I need a more fully featured compressor I use AUFX Push. Interesting to know what other performative choices are on the table for whatever purpose might arise.

• @OscarSouth said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@OscarSouth said:
    I’d be interested to hear about people’s experience in which conpressors are most processor usage friendly.

For what type of use?

Drums?

Master?

Just in general. For most compression I need live I use I either use AUM nodes, built in BM3 effects or Amazing Noises Limiter. If I need a more fully featured compressor I use AUFX Push. Interesting to know what other performative choices are on the table for whatever purpose might arise.

For me it is dance.

I often use one layer of compression to "sync" in an audible way the incoming audio of:

Circuit
    External Synth/Sound Source
    Other iOS devices

I use compression first and foremost to tidy up levels, dynamics, and depth for the sounds to work together with the native sound of the main iOS device in the mix.

The second layer of compression and EQ has to do with the mix of these sounds once put in a song.

• @OscarSouth said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@OscarSouth said:

For what type of use?

Drums?

Master?

Technically I am using concepts derived from parallel processing in a slightly off kilter methodology. I could say advanced, but that would be stupid....LOL

I am a big user of EQ in lieu of compression when. possible for problematic frequencies.

I also find that I like to maintain certain apps and companies because I feel their baseline sound quality and pre processing works best.

• @OscarSouth said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@OscarSouth said:

For what type of use?

Drums?

Master?

First and foremost Fab Filter new app is now a major MAJOR part of all I do.

Nevermind, did you see how small it's footprint is......wow. For what it is is insane.

Almost as insane as my use of the word is in the last sentence.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@richardyot said:
    Attack times really depend on what is being compressed. Rhythmic elements that have important transients (drums, percussion etc) usually need slow attack times to preserve the punchy transients, but there are times where you will need to reduce sharp transients, with vocals especially, in which case a fast attack is perfectly appropriate.

For vocals I usually use a very fast attack to tame any plosives, and a slow release to avoid obvious pumping, and a ratio of around 4:1 to 5:1.

Which apps would you use for each scenario?

Mostly Pro C2, inside Auria.

• I use Audio Damage’s RoughRider 2. It’s free. I’m also bad at sound engineering kind of stuff. I put it on things, turn the knobs, it does stuff. I go with the I don’t really know what I’m doing but I’m having fun approach. Learning how to better do all the mixing, EQ, compression kind of stuff, etc is just no fun for me, and I always put it off. I’ve mostly put it on individual tracks, not so much on the master output.

• @DMan said:
    I use Audio Damage’s RoughRider 2. It’s free. I’m also bad at sound engineering kind of stuff. I put it on things, turn the knobs, it does stuff. I go with the I don’t really know what I’m doing but I’m having fun approach. Learning how to better do all the mixing, EQ, compression kind of stuff, etc is just no fun for me, and I always put it off. I’ve mostly put it on individual tracks, not so much on the master output.

That is real gem for a quick plug for sure.

Greatly under represented!

• I really, really, really, wish there was an 1176 app. I love those things. When I used a desktop, I used to use the UA 1176 on a lot of stuff, but particularly on bass, guitar, drums and vocals. And since you mentioned EQ, I also can’t believe there’s no Pultec clones. And i mean both the regular and the mid-range. Used to have a Tube Tech mid range Pultec copy and it was unbelievably great. The sound of Pultecs is something special.

For vocals, I tend to use the PSP Old Timer a lot. In fact, I use that on many sources. Noise stuff gets a short attack and long release so it just levels the sounds out nicely. That being said, I think there’s no hard and fast rule and i tend to cycle through, starting usually with the Old Timer, until I find the one that suits the source best. The NYC Compressor sounds really good. The Woodpressor is starting to get some love, and the Korvpressor is my fave when I really want to get a nice ballsy sound. It’s not transparent in the least, but that’s ok. If I really want subtle and transparent, the C2 on Auria, or AUFX on AUM or Audiobus are the ones I go to.

And, yeah, Maxima on drums has become almost reflexive lately.

• ProC or magic death eye for vocals?

• Great vid related

• @RUST( i )K said:
    Great vid related

This one from our very own @richardyot explains how to use LUFS when mastering with FabFilter Pro-L2

• David George has a new two hour compression course at Udemy for like $10usd

• @Rawtunez said:
    ProC or magic death eye for vocals?

Vocals? Definitely C

• edited July 2019