Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ribn New iOS controller app.

Worth a punt at 99p.

See video for link.

Comments

• I like the motion recording aspect, nice

• Was like, ehhh....then he showed how it records your movement....now I go to the App Store.

• i would like it if we could get pages, or some option for even more ribbons, and maybe labels on ribbons.

• Anyone who’s downloaded get this to work with CC within any iOS synth Apps? It’s showing up the name of the synth midi ports but not it’s own inside the synth so maybe not virtual midi? Cant see it listed in Midiflow tried that as a local bridge using the “Local in/out trick but no joy?

• not got it yet but sounds like it's more aimed at hardware than software synths. Have you tried sending to AUM port from the Ribn app? @Jumpercollins

• @Carnbot said:
    not got it yet but sounds like it's more aimed at hardware than software synths. Have you tried sending to AUM port from the Ribn app? @Jumpercollins

Tried but Ribn not showing in AUM. Ribn shows midi ports coming in but no itself inside other apps.

• @Jumpercollins said:

@Carnbot said:
    not got it yet but sounds like it's more aimed at hardware than software synths. Have you tried sending to AUM port from the Ribn app? @Jumpercollins

Tried but Ribn not showing in AUM. Ribn shows midi ports coming in but no itself inside other apps.

Thats why I stopped short of dropping my big 99¢, app description didn’t mention Virtual or Core midi. Would be a really fun AUv3 midi toy....

• edited August 2018

@Jumpercollins said:
    Anyone who’s downloaded get this to work with CC within any iOS synth Apps? It’s showing up the name of the synth midi ports but not it’s own inside the synth so maybe not virtual midi? Cant see it listed in Midiflow tried that as a local bridge using the “Local in/out trick but no joy?

I’ve just had it controlling LayR (IAA): CCs 1-8 controlling a variety of LayR parameters. The unfortunate thing is that Ribn does not run in the background. So unless you’re looking at it you wont get anything happening. Hopefully the developer is open to pushing it further as it’s a really cool modulation maker.

• @brice said:

@Jumpercollins said:
    Anyone who’s downloaded get this to work with CC within any iOS synth Apps? It’s showing up the name of the synth midi ports but not it’s own inside the synth so maybe not virtual midi? Cant see it listed in Midiflow tried that as a local bridge using the “Local in/out trick but no joy?

I’ve just had it controlling LayR (IAA): CCs 1-8 controlling a variety of LayR parameters. The unfortunate thing is that Ribn does not run in the background. So unless you’re looking at it you wont get anything happening. Hopefully the developer is open to pushing it further as it’s a really cool modulation maker.

Have to give it another go then. Cheers for proving it.

• Got it... Dig it!

Super simple and fun. :)

• I contacted the developer on facebook. He said he couldn't figure out how to keep it running in the background since it doesn't generate audio. I told him I have apps that control midi and don't generate audio.. that also have a "run in background switch". I referenced the free Arpist app.

Didn't know it's also not IAA so hosting it isn't even a workaround.

So freakin' cool though. The dev sounded like he was going to investigate getting it to work in the background. I told him I don't have a clue about programming apps, but maybe he could have it generate a simple sine wave so that it would be read as an audio generator, then he could just have the audio always switched off and hidden from the user... so that he could get the "run in background" switch.

He said that might work, but was doubtful that Apple would approve it like that.

It did sound like he's looking into other options though. Maybe others should chime in on one of his contact links so that he knows it's just not a few fringe users who would like it to continue running in the background?

He responded to me quickly via facebook, but if others don't use it.. here are his other social contacts from the video:

■■■■■ SOCIAL ■■■■■
    http://bit.ly/onceuponasynth_FACEBOOK
    http://bit.ly/onceuponasynth_INSTAGRAM
    http://bit.ly/onceuponasynth_TWITTER
    http://bit.ly/onceuponasynth_PERISCOPE

@brice said:

@Jumpercollins said:

• I realize its only a dollar , but i hate apps that are released that freeze and dont work as advertized.
    Ipad air 2 used only with ribn on trying to control moog slim phatty through iconnect midi4,thru logic .
    Its the wasted time i put into trying to make this thing work.
    Freeze, quit app, open app, freeze, uninstall app, reinstall app, try to set up cc,s no response, looper freezes..

• @yoyo said:
    I realize its only a dollar , but i hate apps that are released that freeze and dont work as advertized.
    Ipad air 2 used only with ribn on trying to control moog slim phatty through iconnect midi4,thru logic .
    Its the wasted time i put into trying to make this thing work.
    Freeze, quit app, open app, freeze, uninstall app, reinstall app, try to set up cc,s no response, looper freezes..

Hey yoyo,

I'm the developer of Ribn. Sorry that it freezes for you. I got a crash report earlier so I will see if I can fix it quickly. To help me fix it faster could you please provide a bit more info about your setup and what you had connected? Did you have both MIDI In and Out connected or just Out? Did the app freeze as soon as you opened it? Or only after touching some ribbons?

Sorry again for the inconvenience, I hate crashes as much as you trust me. I believe apple now allows refunds too. If not, I can paypal you the dollar back if you want.

• Haven't hooked it up to hardware yet, but some big potential for my Octatrack!

Thing that excites me the most: The loops loop independently of each other: you can have long loops, short ones, etc. Great for people like me who like variety and happy little accidents. A BIG thing missing from EFX looping effect parameters.... Now I can do little subtle changes and big swoops and never have it sound the same twice. Neat!

Happy I can change the colors of the sliders. Needs more colors.

I need Landscape mode.

And I see the points made here, so to the Developer: good job, but iOS people want to control iOS instruments (mostly), so they need that usefulness. And music apps CAN'T crash, because live performances will be destroyed. I am impressed by the concept and simplicity: keep at it!

• Hey everyone, I'm the developer of Ribn. Thank you so much for those of you who checked it out! Sorry if there are bugs, I definitely want to squash them asap.

As for the background mode, if anyone has any tips for getting it to work let me know. I will investigate further on my end too. My understanding when I first looked into it is that in order to request the background permission your app needs to be playing audio. But maybe there's a workaround. I know that some other MIDI apps I've tried also stopped in background mode.

But like skiphunt said, maybe there's a way to trick it by playing audio and just muting it or something.

• @SpookyZoo said:
    Got it... Dig it!

I saw that vid...does it sync to clock ?

• Im on ios 12 and high sierra mac, and there was something really funky about the midi connection between them making the app freeze up, I tried the idam connection, then the iconnectmidi4 connex, but didn’t do the wifi network connection.

Ios music apps delight me , then frustrate me when im doing all this stuff to get thimgs to interconnect and every app is different in methods of midi communication.

I love the idea of using touch to modulate my moog, and hoping it will.

• @onceuponasynth This is a really easy to use and very fun app! Get that background thing worked out, and a couple bugs squashed... and this seems like one of those must-have apps for anyone using iOS audio apps. Loving it!

There are several great developers on this forum who I bet could give you some suggestions. Maybe @brambos or @rrc2soft are both friendly, knowledgeable, and experienced with iOS and midi stuff.

• @SpookyZoo said:
    Got it... Dig it!

I have the Zoom U44 and Circuit. If I connect my Circuit to iPad by U44 with the USB cable, is it possible to use Ribn to control the CC of Circuit?

Or I need to use the midi cable (midi interface) to connect the Circuit and iPad?

Thanks for advice.

• @skiphunt said:
    @onceuponasynth This is a really easy to use and very fun app! Get that background thing worked out, and a couple bugs squashed... and this seems like one of those must-have apps for anyone using iOS audio apps. Loving it!

There are several great developers on this forum who I bet could give you some suggestions. Maybe @brambos or @rrc2soft are both friendly, knowledgeable, and experienced with iOS and midi stuff.

Thanks! I'm reading up on the Audiobus documentation (https://developer.audiob.us/doc/_integration-_guide.html) so hopefully I'll be able to get it working with that and in the background soon.

There's a line in the documentation that states "If you haven't already done so, you must enable background audio and Inter-App Audio in your app – even if you plan to create a MIDI-only app." which seems promising!

• @onceuponasynth You are on the right track :) . At the Capabilities page in your project target, activate the "audio, airplay and picture in picture" in the Background Modes, and then activate the "inter-app audio".

Also, Audiobus instructions are pretty clear, but if you have any doubt, just ask.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@SpookyZoo said:
    Got it... Dig it!

I saw that vid...does it sync to clock ?

No, it literally loops whatever gesture and timing you swipe on the screen. Which, actually, is the beauty of it. :)

• @whyme said:

@SpookyZoo said:
    Got it... Dig it!

I have the Zoom U44 and Circuit. If I connect my Circuit to iPad by U44 with the USB cable, is it possible to use Ribn to control the CC of Circuit?

Or I need to use the midi cable (midi interface) to connect the Circuit and iPad?

Thanks for advice.

I'm not sure of your particular setup. But in another test, I used a 4 way usb adapter with CCK and plugged in both a USB to Circuit and USB from Audio interface and had them both working together.

@onceuponasynth should be able to tell you more though. :)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @onceuponasynth
    Could you make it IOS 10 compatible?
    Thks

• @onceuponasynth said:
    Hey everyone, I'm the developer of Ribn. Thank you so much for those of you who checked it out! Sorry if there are bugs, I definitely want to squash them asap.

As for the background mode, if anyone has any tips for getting it to work let me know. I will investigate further on my end too. My understanding when I first looked into it is that in order to request the background permission your app needs to be playing audio. But maybe there's a workaround. I know that some other MIDI apps I've tried also stopped in background mode.

But like skiphunt said, maybe there's a way to trick it by playing audio and just muting it or something.

Any chance of some kind of syncing link for this app?

• @onceuponasynth I'm the developer of Xequence (a pure MIDI sequencer), and I do just what you suspected, I start a looping AVAudioPlayer with a silent WAV file when the app goes into the background, and stop it when it returns to the foreground.

BTW, your app is very similar to the various control modes in Xequence. Two fools, same idea :D

• Fantastic App :)
    A winner.

• @SevenSystems said:
    @onceuponasynth
    BTW, your app is very similar to the various control modes in Xequence. Two fools, same idea :D

Love Xequence but I can’t picture the similarities. Is there hidden gesture recording in Xequence?