Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

My wife wants me to make some meditative music for her yoga classes

So what should I use? I have Auria Pro and Cubasis. I was thinking some kind of pad with piano or guitar over top. Maybe some light drums. Should I buy more synths? I have Nanologue, SynthKit, Synthmaster P., TF7, Model 15 and Animoog.

Also some of that kind of music seems to be without tempo, just kind of flowy. How does one do that in a DAW?

Comments

• my App list.
    Audiobus 2
    Audioshare
    Auria Pro with Q2, C, L, R, Timeless Saturn Volcano
    Cubasis 2 with no extras
    Garageband
    SampleTank with American Acoustic
    Patterning
    Now soul keys
    iGrand
    Galileo 2
    Synthkit
    Synthmaster player
    Syntronic free
    Animoog
    Model 15
    Nanologue
    TF7 with one IAP
    EOS2
    Haaze
    Notion

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • You have more than enough synths to do that. I would set a fairly slow tempo and use the metronome in your DAW - no drums, long dreamy pad chords, no unexpected changes, long intermittant notes on piano, acoustic guitar, harp or smooth synth sounds. Maybe a slowish arp provided it isn’t too intrusive, and maybe it could fade in and out. I hope this gives you a few ideas. But have a listen to something similar just to get ideas - I am sure there are meditative videos on YouTube for example.

• edited July 2018

@Jmcmillan said:
    So what should I use? I have Auria Pro and Cubasis. I was thinking some kind of pad with piano or guitar over top. Maybe some light drums. Should I buy more synths? I have Nanologue, SynthKit, Synthmaster P., TF7, Model 15 and Animoog.

Also some of that kind of music seems to be without tempo, just kind of flowy. How does one do that in a DAW?

That genre as you say only seems to be without tempo. It’s all made on a DAW, after all, with tempo/meter etc. There’s a beat but you won’t want a 4 on the kick, but might want the occasional chime/bell or world percussion type hits.

Definitely pads, and there’s some nice fx, IAA ones from holderness media for example (Echo Pad, Crystaline...Echo pad is multifx and has among other treats some shimmer https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/echo-pad-multi-effects-processor/id573511415?mt=8, Crystaline is a reverb unit thats almost a pad synth unto itself, super shimmer https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/crystalline-shimmer-reverb-effects-processor/id859121707?mt=8. There’s YouTube stuff at least for Crystaline. You don’t necessarily need any new apps, you got great stuff already. Pads, and tasteful world percussion reverb and delay will get you a long ways.

Last time I made something like this piano was the foundation, including pad-ized piano (reversed, shimmered piano with long tails, reversed, with simple diatonic phrases on top)

• Try Oval Synth, it’s free, or at least it was when i downloaded it

Nice relaxing sounds, and much more

• That should suffice :)

• Start with Animoog

• The Moodscaper line of apps is really all you need. Pianoscaper is cheap and beautiful.
    Wotja is a little more pricey, but super powerful. Also can generate a whole playlist of amazing ambient soundscapes in a couple of seconds with Wotja.

• @CracklePot said:
    The Moodscaper line of apps is really all you need. Pianoscaper is cheap and beautiful.
    Wotja is a little more pricey, but super powerful. Also can generate a whole playlist of amazing ambient soundscapes in a couple of seconds with Wotja.

Yep I forgot the scapers, and Wotja! Easy show, and beautiful sounding

• Oh yeah, Moodscaper is great.

• Ah, I thought about "making" music :)

• As @Littlewoodg says, hit random on wotja a few times. Can even do an albums worth at a time now.

• Generate the music? That’s such a paradigm shift for me. So used to playing everything in🙂

• @PhilW said:
    Oh yeah, Moodscaper is great.

@CracklePot said:
    The Moodscaper line of apps is really all you need. Pianoscaper is cheap and beautiful.

On that recommendation, I just got moodscaper and pianoscaper.

Both sound nice, but I stand in front of that interface quite clueless :#
    Need to seek a manual

• Technique-wise... Set for slow tempo, as mentioned before.
    Not sure how a Yoga class goes, but you could make tracks (or variations) for each of the asanas

Had a thought here. Try to sync the attacks/releases (or fade-in and outs) for the elements to sync with the ideal breathing. So inhale = attack, exhale = release or something :wink:

• Not sure regarding chords and scales. I suck at that :lol: But make sure it's relaxing
    Clean sine waves with slight modulation work great for pleasing tones, IMHO :smiley:

You inspired me to give a got at something like this tonight

• @tja said:

@PhilW said:
    Oh yeah, Moodscaper is great.

@CracklePot said:

On that recommendation, I just got moodscaper and pianoscaper.

Both sound nice, but I stand in front of that interface quite clueless :#
    Need to seek a manual

There are Quick Guides on the website. And a longer guide for moodscaper, too.

• edited July 2018

@Jmcmillan said:

Thumbjam sitar, twang that MF!

• Thumbjam sitar, twang that MF!

LMAO!!

• I want to hear it when you're done!

• edited July 2018

You need Soundprism link edition it would be perfect,
    Jacob Haq also uses Patterning drum machine app in this piece.

• edited July 2018

There's a free MIDI AU module called Physicles that generates random notes that can be very sparse or really thick depending on the number of "balls" you place in a square or rectangle.

Placing that before a gentle Pad synth will create yoga music that can work for hours. They don't want to dance they want to focus inward on their body and this calms the mind.

Using AUM, Cubasis or Auria you could set up 2-3 synths with Physicles AU generators and maybe slowly shift the focus from a distant horn like Pad, to a Bell-tone pad ending with a dreamy sonic shifting synth pad using manual or Cubasis automation of the piece. With Physicals the piece will sound similar everytime
    but never identical and you'll step away from the keyboard and your internal critic. The critic in you will select the perfect sets of Pads for the piece.

I think they'd love that but if not you can consider adding repeated rhythms with loops or a drum machine to make it more "new age" ambient. I personally think that's counter to the intention of Yoga but yoga has many versions and some are closer to aerobics with a lot of talking and active coaching. They may want something that doesn't put the class to sleep. You might ask before you start if they run a quiet class or get instructed constantly on their form and encouraged to stretch deeper and with more effort.

I'm glad you explained the sudden interest in electronic music because I was hoping you had that symphonic work in you. Better you than me that slaves over Notion and produces a richly detailed symphonic composition.

PS Get into effects chains: Elastic FX will give you 40 effects for $5. NOTE: It's not AUv3. That route will take all your budget to get all the FX it contains. Use it with AB3, AUM or as a Cubase IAA Effect. The magic is creating an order of FX that makes the music otherworldly with stereo shifting, filters, etc.

• Damn, @McDtracy you made me buy Elastic FX :s :p ;)

• You can also combine Physicles with Rozeta Collider or Rozeta Particles. Rozeta can play notes from a scale, and Physicles can play notes from chords :) .

• @rrc2soft said:
    You can also combine Physicles with Rozeta Collider or Rozeta Particles. Rozeta can play notes from a scale, and Physicles can play notes from chords :) .

Is the beta still relevant?

The App Store shows no version number...

• edited July 2018

My friend just did a yoga class album(not released yet). He simply used his guitar as the foundation and sprinkled in some synth pads and synth bass drones and also some light percussion. Hand drums and such. He also sang a little, just some vowels and sparse lyrics on a couple songs. Sounds great

• edited July 2018

@tja said:
    Damn, @McDtracy you made me buy Elastic FX :s :p ;)

Do they sound good?

Yesterday I started making "chains of FX" in the ToneStack App and they can make a really boring synth sound pretty damn good. I started by trying to make my cheapest most boring Synth App sound better... and it did.

But I have spent close to $100 buying all the ToneStack "Guitar Gadgets" (usually on Sale but still). All the tools in ToneStack appear in Elastic FX and not having to flip between "Effects Modules" to tweak an FX chain sounds like heaven... and for $5 it's worth a look.

I also learned the benefits of AudioBus3 by creating an FX Chain that gets saved in ToneStack AND in AB3. Load AB3 and pick my Preset from a list and I get the same sound today. I think AB3 is the only App that can do that. AUM does other nice things but not save IAA App settings. If it does that good to know.

I'm in "App Abuser Jail" and can't test Elastic FX until next month. What do you think? Is it worth it?

• @McDtracy said:

@tja said:
    Damn, @McDtracy you made me buy Elastic FX :s :p ;)

Do they sound good? Yesterday I started making "chains of FX" in the ToneStack App and they can make a really boring synth sound pretty damn good. I started by trying to make my cheapest most boring Synth App sound better... and it did.
    But I spent close to $100 buying all the ToneStack "Guitar Gadgets". All the tools in ToneStack appear in Elastic FX and not having to flip between "Effects Modules" to tweak a chain sound like heaven... and for $5 it's worth a look.

I'm in "App Abuser Jail" and can't test it. What do you think?

I cannot really comment on the quality, but the modulation between 4 effects is something I like!

So, for that price you cannot go wrong, I think.

I should also be in that same jail!!!

• @tja said:
    I should also be in that same jail!!!

It's really crowded in here. I can't believe how many languages are being spoken. Only 6 days more to get out. Then back in again for 29 days.

• @McDtracy I agree that FX can make boring stuff sound very epic.
    I have EpicSynth, which is not very epic sounding on its own. All it needed was FAC Chorus to bring it to life, and make it a true ‘EpicSynth’.

Also, those guitar amps in Tonestack pair well with synths. Gives them a nice, dirty edge.