Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Vangelis Live At Studio

Comments

• Wow.
    Him And JMJ are my electronic music idols.
    Thank you very much for sharing.

• Yow...a lot going on with that! Great stuff!

• That is truly stunning. Can you imagine how it incredible it must feel to be able to express yourself musically like that? Of course his rig is a work of art in its own right as well.

• Incredible playing and an equally incredible keyboard setup. Its like nothing I've ever seen, I wonder if it is custom made for him?

• @PhilW - It is custom made for him, not sure by who definitely custom.

• One-man Philharmonic!

• edited December 2013

From Wikipedia

"Vangelis uses a technique of recording all tracks simultaneously on tape, using a Zyklus MIDI Performance System. The album Direct is named after the successor to the Zyklus which was being specially manufactured for him by the Zyklus MPS designers, Bill Marshall, Pete Kellock, and Mike Crisp.
    He explains his customary method of approach. As soon as the musical idea is there, as many keyboards as possible are connected to the control-desk, which in turn are directly connected to the applicable tracks of the multi-trackmachine. The idea now is to play as many keyboards as possible at the same time. That way as broad a basis as possible develops which only needs fine-tuning. After that it's a question of adding things or leaving out things."

However, the stuff in the video looks like it's this, which is custom gear by YES Audio used back in 2011 or so.
    http://forum.vangelis.fr/printview.php?t=1041&start=30&sid=d026661a494b64816a60f54244967fc2

• Stunning! I had forgotten what a talented musician he is! I wonder is his keyboard setup is AB compatible! Lol

• Incredible!

• I think he would light up the AB circuits just a bit! LOL!!!

I can see him at the Apple Store: "Excuse me, I'd like to order 10 iPad Airs..."

• Genius..stunning, brilliant.....I knew he would make use of my old gear...that crafty wizard..on a more serious note does anyone know if all those pedal controllers are custom built...never seen those before....and here's me thinking he still used a CS80 :-)

• I must be the only one here who doesn't like this. It looks to me like he's improvising the whole performance, using the sounds previously set up. It's quite clever I suppose, but I find the music to be quite limited in the sense that there is little scope for repetition. If he could learn to loop I'd be more interested! (For the record, I detest most classical and romantic era music, which this reminds me of.) But what do I know? He's Vangelis, right?

• Uhmm, @periuban, this is definitely not for the avid loop lover :-) The genius lies, I think it's accurate to say, in Vangelis's ability to play multiple orchestral parts, for different orchestra sections like strings, horns, percussion, AT THE SAME TIME, at the level of a written professional composer and full live orchestra. It's mind-blowing, IMO. The ultimate live midi performance…

Yes, it's confined to classical/romantic, but, imagine if someone learned to do this in a pop style. They'd be able to play the drum parts, keys/guitar, bass at the same time, and maybe throw in some percussion LOL, LIVE w/out using loops!!! I'm exaggerating somewhat, but, I think it's a reasonable comparison.

• The way us classical musicians achieve repetition is to play the same thing more than once...

• I just reread the post..and it seems the gear is custom made for him...I think it could be made by Korg...I think there is an M3 there somewhere to the right of him and it looks similar...

• edited December 2013

I bet he's got an iPod playing that stuff really...

• Did you catch the computer with the floppy drive. Lol

• Was that near the CRT monitor? ;-)

• Under it I think..

• So proud to have the same name with him and being greek as well. Self taught, a master..he also has done great music in the bands he was before becoming known.

• He did the soundtrack to Bladerunner. Nuff said. The man could fart into MIDI Morphosis triggering Sunrizer and he would still be a genius.

• It truly just blows my mind every time I watch this, I had no idea know he records this way.

• @periurban I didn't care for the music or the sounds much either but I'm still amazed at how proficient he is with all of that as a single performance instrument. I suppose it's like some of the older theater organists but just way 'better' sounding. Plus, sheer nerd wow at the tech involved. (Thanks for that link @paulb)

• edited March 2014

• edited March 2014

• Here's some older footage circa "China" where he's using a more typical keyboard rig. I think his more recent setup is a result of embracing MIDI and sample players and condensing everything down to less keyboards but greater configurability.

• Simon said:

periurban wrote: " I must be the only one here who doesn't like this. "

+1.

Sounds like an action scene from a Hollywood action film (which it might be). Don't like this at all.

But Bladrunner music and atmosphere sounds - amazing!

I'm not sure I understand this video - is he really playing it all at the same time? Or just triggering bits he has set up before and playing leads over the top of it?

What he said.