Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OMG: Egoist FTW!!!

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• I agree with your self analysis about neglecting to invest sufficient time in Egoist due to a wide selection of apps available to you which resulted in wasted time and opportunities with Egoist.

• Interesting. I just found myself enamoured with Egoist after it sitting idle for a while as well. It’s pretty inspiring!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ha. Have just been chopping a break in Egoist for the last half hour. The transient detection is excellent. The name is also inspired.

• I better buy this today, so I can be using it by the end of the year. ;)

• Oh he has it.

• I love the simplicity of it, and it's easy to get things going. But I find it similar to Sector: Everything that goes in comes out kind of sounding the same. In the case of Egoist, I fall too easily into making showy, glitchy, skittery stuff that I find dated. How can I break out of this trap? Suggestions?

• Egoist is great, I remixed my mate’s acoustic track and he absolutely loved it. One’s got to go easy on those ‘random’ buttons as it’s too easy to end up with a song programmed by Sugar Bytes.

Good stuff can be achieved easily enough without the randomisation though.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    I love the simplicity of it, and it's easy to get things going. But I find it similar to Sector: Everything that goes in comes out kind of sounding the same. In the case of Egoist, I fall too easily into making showy, glitchy, skittery stuff that I find dated. How can I break out of this trap? Suggestions?

Slow the tempo (can always speed it up again but gives better control while slicing), ignore the onboard effects, undo the reverse chops (it drops too many in IMO), delete some of the slice points, etc. That’s a few tricks I use to get more control.

• @mAxjUlien said:

@gusgranite said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    I love the simplicity of it, and it's easy to get things going. But I find it similar to Sector: Everything that goes in comes out kind of sounding the same. In the case of Egoist, I fall too easily into making showy, glitchy, skittery stuff that I find dated. How can I break out of this trap? Suggestions?

Slow the tempo (can always speed it up again but gives better control while slicing), ignore the onboard effects, undo the reverse chops (it drops too many in IMO), delete some of the slice points, etc. That’s a few tricks I use to get more control.

You don’t like the effects?!

I love them but I turn them off until I’m happy with The chops. Then I start applying some FX if necessary. I don’t always want five Tape Stops in every break lol. :smile:

• @mAxjUlien said:
    Big fan of how @AudioGus gets busy in B3...curious to see what you could do with this. If you have it...we need to see one of your patented wacky videos asap!

Aww thanks, and yes I do love Egoist. The recording rig is currently dismantled but I will see what I can do. :)

• @supadom said:
    Egoist is great, I remixed my mate’s acoustic track and he absolutely loved it. One’s got to go easy on those ‘random’ buttons as it’s too easy to end up with a song programmed by Sugar Bytes.

Good stuff can be achieved easily enough without the randomisation though.

Sage advice right here....

• @mAxjUlien said:
    Just started chopping up Lorde, only 4 patterns and a simple drum track so far. Literally 5 minutes in....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g6tv8yn6tyc3sfm/Egoist - Biting Up-converted.aif?dl=0

Sounds good! What is the name of he original lorde track so we can compare the results

• One of the finest apps, seriously powerful (especially with midi keys) but you will need to watch the 5 part tutorial from sugar bytes to fully grasp the possibilities. I often use it just for the bass synth, simple but great sounding and the sequencer is much fun :)

• just can't fathom why there is only one sample track

• @kobamoto said:
    just can't fathom why there is only one sample track

Sometimes a constraint spurs creativity? I grumble about this constraint myself.

• @ExAsperis99 said:

Start with everything set to default, import your sample, and build the track from there. Doug’s vids are good for explaining this.

I used to start by banging away on the randomisers, and every track I did sounded Egoist. Once I started building things up from scratch, and avoiding presets or randomisers, it sounded less generic.

• @Maxjulien ... trying to avoid going there but thanks..

@Luke, I hear ya..

• @mAxjUlien said:
    I actually feel we’ll get there @kobamoto SugarBytes have been very active in updating their classics to AU lately. Also very vocal about AU being the future so guys can hope.

I love it on desktop. I find I tend to spread things out there a lot more and make it all more mix friendly on the fly. AU in BM3 will be huge!

One of the biggest things for me is to take sample libraries and just stack all the samples end to end in big wav files of several minutes long and just feed that into Egoist.