Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Solved...Dodgy Headphone input. :(

Hey peeps.

So I've tried this in several combos.....

I have some pre-recorded rhythm and instrumental loops, that I am trying to record into (M DAW or AUDIOSHARE etc..)
at the same time as I play my guitar lead from JAMUP that I have positioned in an INPUT location.

I have tried playing the loops alongside my live guitar from THUMBJAM, AUDIOSHARE, LOOPY, etc.. but in ALL combinations.....my choice of fx for the guitar is affecting everything else played from an INPUT location.

Surely that should only be happening if JAMUP were the FX choice?

I'm still in the middle of tests, but hoping to hear from others who are or may have experienced this, and if a solution was found.

I shall also post this to Positive Grid.

Thanks all

Comments

• ALSO...if I just paste the loops (PRE AB style) into say LOOPY or MDAW...have JAMUP in the INPUT and then press record....even if I don't play a note on the guitar, the previous loops are recorded onto a new track with JAMUP's fx included.

1. The previous Loops should not be heard by the new track
    2. JAMUP's fx should be isolated and not affecting others.

I'm on iOS6 with gen4 iPad

• Well, on an iPad 2, with iOS 5.1.1, I was able to load up Arctic Keys and Jamup into two Audiobus input slots and have the output going to speaker out ( headphones ) and the fx only affected the mic input, not the Arctic Keys output. Might help devs to narrow it down?

• Thanks...I'm gonna try a delete and re-install of both apps..because it looks like I also have no problems using these combos on the iPhone 4S.

Will update with result.

• Above didn't work....this problem still persists on the iPad for me.

The same setup appears to work fine on iPhone 4S

Baffling.

Anybody else with the same setup?

Thanks

• Could the output be leaking into your input via the iPad's headphone socket?

• I'm using the iRig for guitar input into the headphone socket...but this same setup has no problems on my iphone 4S.

Still trying to figure it out...thanks for suggestion. :)

• That's why I asked about the iPad socket, not the plug. If the socket is cross connecting between output and input, you'd get the problem you describe, but only on the iPad.

• Ok it's a little late here sorry...but I'm not quite getting my head around what you are describing.

How can I test if what you're suggesting is what is actually happening?
    Why would this happen on iPad but note iPhone?
    Is this something that has been written about previously?

This will probably all make sense to me in the morning....but not right now! :)

• If your iPad headphone socket is faulty and your iPhone headphone socket isn't, you will only see the problem on your iPad. Inside the hole you are plugging your iRig into are some sprung pieces of metal, moving parts, in effect. Those bits of metal are embedded in a plastic moulded housing and soldered onto a circuit board. The size of those connections is pretty small, which makes them flimsy and prone to problems, either in manufacture or from wear and tear.
    You might be able to test it by repeating your previously mentioned Loopy plus Jamup test, but turn down the iPad volume while you record using the volume button at the side of the iPad. If the resultant new track fades to silence, then that would indicate the problem lies in the iPad output hardware, as the iRig works fine on the iPhone and the volume button only affects the output hardware, not the apps you're running.

• Thanks for the thorough explanation.

This unfortunately appears to be the problem

Recording a new track in loopy while playing a previous loop, the new track volume decreased as I gradually lowered the device volume..

Bummer!

Now do I decide to go see Apple or John Lewis :(

• Sorry to hear that. The slightly positive side is that any interface that feeds the input in via the dock connector will bypass this problem entirely, so you may like to look at those, and keep your iRig for use with your iPhone. You could then use your iPhone as an FX unit and feed its output into the iPad via your new interface.

• Wow PaulB - thanks for figuring this out.

• Hey Paul, you know it's funny....I kinda came to the same conclusion today. It looks like there are a couple of new interfaces coming in Spring and by all accounts, a signal is cleaner, input in that way.

I was trying to think of other possible negative outcomes that the faulty headphone jack may present.

Also the idea of it being sent away and hacked in for repair and the 2 weeks without the device....well, thats just not very appealing.

Thanks for the follow up.

• I have also changed this post's title as not to cause unwarranted concern over Jamup's efficiency...which is AWESOME btw! :)

• No worries. I used to do telephone tech support for embedded system engineers using in-circuit emulators, so I'm used to homing in on a problem.

• Thanks SpookyZoo. The JamUp guys will appreciate it!

• Sure thing!

And thanks again Paul for the spot-on problem homing! :)

• Seriously...I can't be unlucky twice??

John Lewis' staff were excellent. They handed me a new iPad, even though it was day 46, against a 28 day warranty.

Buuut....

Same deal. Any audio recorded on previous tracks, bleeds into new recordings quite significantly.
    This occurred when using irig and guitar with headphones plugged in recording into any app. (loopy, mdaw, Auria, GBand)

Thinking it was now the irig causing this, I repeated this experiment with just vocals and apple headphones.

Same result again. Previous tracks bleed into new recording.

Have I really just been unlucky twice....or is his a fundamental fault with the iPad 4?

Still no problems with these methods on iPhones 4s

Both using iOS 6

May post this to guitar interface sticky too.

• edited January 2013

If the headphone out has a design flaw which means it is still presenting an input signal to the line in contact on the headphone socket, not using the iRig will not make any difference to the problem. It seems that you are not only using the mic, the line in is active as well.

If you are not going to be recording via the dock/lightning connector, the only thing I can suggest is crank up your input signal as much as possible, lower your output level on the tracks you're monitoring to reduce bleed into the input, and if necessary, use powered headphones to bring the output level up to a comfortable volume once it's clear of the iPad.

• Hey Paul. Thanks for the tips. I do intend to get myself a dock connecting interface.

It's just that I had believed I was in possession of a faulty device, and getting a brand new one would once again give me the option to record with the irig.

Pretty frustrating to find out the effort and the excitement were all a little bit in vain.

I'm looking at the apogee jam, and possibly the iRig hd for my guitar input in future.

Thanks for the follow up help. :)

• I saw this thread when searching for a solution to this same problem, so you are not the only one. I just recently purchased an iRig (amplitube) and also JamUp Pro XT. Furthermore, I have a very new iPad 4 retina and an iPhone 4S. Like you it works fine on the iPhone, but bleeds into the amp/effects emulation chain when using the JamUp player (or vice versa). But only on the iPad.

This is also evident in amplitube as well using the iRig plug. I had some email conversation with Calvin at JamUp and explained what was happening. I also sent him a pic of my setup in JamUp and a pic of the iRig male jack inserted into the iPad. At this point I am still not sure what is causing this, but I ordered a JamUp plug (which has not arrived yet) to see if it makes any difference. My concern is that it has nothing to do with the iRig plug or software, but the female jack or design flaw with the iPad.

I am going to make Calvin aware of this thread to see if he has any ideas - at this point I'm at a loss, but I really like the JamUp software and would love to be able to use my iPad for practice. Right now it's not acceptable.

• Something I forgot. I was able to duplicate this issue on a different iPad.

• Hi @Lerxst you are spot on...that is exactly the problem.

Go up about a dozen messages from the end of the thread link below, where I kinda continued this theme and you'll see some interesting info.

I also reverted to the Apogee Jam...it's great....you'll love it.

Thread is here... http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/84/guitar-interfaces#Item_76

• Thanks @SpookyZoo! I haven't read it yet, but does the Apogee work with JamUp? One why I don't want to use the lightning port is that I would like to hook up a StompBox so that I can change presets/effects.... but I would sacrifice it for a usable practice player that doesn't bleed!

• Yep it works sweet. I see you realise you'll need the 30pin to lightning adapter. But yeah they work great together.

• Thanks again. I'm still going to send Calvin an email so he can read through both of these threads. What get's me is it works fine on the iPhone?! Something doesn't smell right....

• I mention on the other thread, that setup also works fine on the mini. It's just the ipad with bleedthrough.

• Yep! Also to note that it isn't just JamUp that is victim to this...AmpliTube as well, and probably any other similar software.

• edited March 2013

oh yeah...it's completely a hardware issue with the iPad's headphone jack being used as an input, whether that is with iRig, Apple headphones or any other interface using the jack. It will effect the recording into any app that you try to record with that setup...none of which is the apps fault.

• Spooky, please note that so called victims of that issue have their own multitrack recorders that are free from this hardware issue. I think there is a way to correct it easily by subtracting background from the signal. May be iPhone does just this and the jacks are identical