Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

((Pro-Q 2)) by FabFilter = (EQualizer) - in the AppStore Now! - £28.99 - ((AU<3))

Comments

• This looks sexy as hell but I'm worried an amateur like me won't get his money's worth out of it. Know what I mean?

On the other hand maybe it's like Photoshop where even after using it for 17 years I still don't touch 90% of its features but the 10% I do use are totally essential to my work and I understand them deeply.

What do you reckon, sound nerds? Say I'm an amateur with good (but not trained) ears, high standards, and I usually use EQ on almost every track of a song... but I'm still an amateur. If I plug Pro-Q 2 into Cubasis and wiggle my finger around the screen, will I be able to hear the difference between it and zMors (for example)? Do its fabled 'secret sauce' qualities emerge naturally from use, or will I have to spend hours reading a manual and digging deep into menus to make the purchase worthwhile?

Bullet point feature lists are well and good, but I'd love to hear some specific use cases from those of you who swear by Pro-Q 2. When's a time you were EQ'ing a track and thought, "Thank Satan for Pro-Q 2 because no other EQ plugin can do what it just did for me"?

Only if you can spare the time and effort, of course. But I bet lots of forum users here (including lurkers) would appreciate it.

(Personally, I happen to be, today, at the very beginning of the mixing stage of an album project, and I want it to sound the best it can sound, so... I'm tempted by Pro-Q 2, but at the same time I'm eager to get the project finished and so don't want to waste hours mucking about with something too unwieldy for my level of ability.)

• @KING777 said:
    The start of many to come.

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/fabfilter-pro-q-2/id1401182622

Top eq on iPad!

King

Not iphone :(

• @zpxlng said:
    This looks sexy as hell but I'm worried an amateur like me won't get his money's worth out of it. Know what I mean?

On the other hand maybe it's like Photoshop where even after using it for 17 years I still don't touch 90% of its features but the 10% I do use are totally essential to my work and I understand them deeply.

What do you reckon, sound nerds? Say I'm an amateur with good (but not trained) ears, high standards, and I usually use EQ on almost every track of a song... but I'm still an amateur. If I plug Pro-Q 2 into Cubasis and wiggle my finger around the screen, will I be able to hear the difference between it and zMors (for example)? Do its fabled 'secret sauce' qualities emerge naturally from use, or will I have to spend hours reading a manual and digging deep into menus to make the purchase worthwhile?

Bullet point feature lists are well and good, but I'd love to hear some specific use cases from those of you who swear by Pro-Q 2. When's a time you were EQ'ing a track and thought, "Thank Satan for Pro-Q 2 because no other EQ plugin can do what it just did for me"?

Only if you can spare the time and effort, of course. But I bet lots of forum users here (including lurkers) would appreciate it.

(Personally, I happen to be, today, at the very beginning of the mixing stage of an album project, and I want it to sound the best it can sound, so... I'm tempted by Pro-Q 2, but at the same time I'm eager to get the project finished and so don't want to waste hours mucking about with something too unwieldy for my level of ability.)

What do you use for monitoring? Do you have an audio interface? Headphones? What kind? Speakers? Which? How good is your room etc?

Maybe a sexy next level eq is worth it, but maybe not...

• So how is it on CPU?

• edited July 2018

@AudioGus said:
    What do you use for monitoring? Do you have an audio interface? Headphones? What kind? Speakers? Which? How good is your room etc?

Maybe a sexy next level eq is worth it, but maybe not...

Monitoring?? Ha! No, let me describe my studio setup for you:

• ipad pro
    • blue yeti
    • pair of M50x's (white)

I live in a wooden apartment building in a cosy residential area of Tokyo. When I need to record loud vocals I put my studio in my bag and take it to a private karaoke room. My last project was completed before Brusfri came out, so filtering out the air conditioning was a bastard to do. (The current project is instrumental, though, so no vocals, just a lot of weird vocal samples.)

I should also add that I bought the Waves IAPs in Cubasis but haven't had a chance to use them in a serious project yet. So maybe they're professional-level enough for the time being...?

In any case, I'm still really interested to hear people's "Here's how I use Pro-Q 2" stories.

• edited July 2018

I also have zMors eq, (it 'was' a outside Auria substitute/placeholder for.. Pro-Q 2).

I LIKE ... zMors eq.
    I LOVE ... Pro-Q 2.

That’s the difference to me.

Yes you can instantly hear the differences between the two.
    But how you use it will also be a little different to others.

This is what I mean when I say I don’t usually use (eq) presets. I know what I want, (sound) and I go in an get/dial it. So knowing what to do with eq is the key.

It has so many awards, fans n recommendations from Grammy folks to 'not yet Grammy folks'

I won’t be the one who tells you to buy it, but I would buy it - and I did - - twice!..

King

Added: by the sound of things, you may be ok with zMors though....... for now!
    More Added: there is not much Pro-Q 2 can’t do, for eq.

• @zpxlng said:
    This looks sexy as hell but I'm worried an amateur like me won't get his money's worth out of it. Know what I mean?

The spectral analyser is worth the entry price alone, takes so much of the guesswork out of the equation, you can see the peaks in the signal.

• I know this is an endless broken record for me but I'd love more universal apps for my plus phone. I've heard so many good things about pro q 2

• We spoke (when we bombed their forum with requests several months ago) and they listened (well I'd like to think so anyway!) Expensive but you've got to put your money where your mouth is (or was). Thanks FabFilter. I want the reverb next ! ;)

• edited July 2018

@CracklePot said:
    Perfect for my LoFi 8-bit productions!
    And so affordable!

Oh wait...

To be fair, while I'm a completionist in the worst ways for the most part, I also don't feel like repurchasing the FF plugins all over again just to have them as AU if I already have a decent substitute from all the other fine choices in the appstore. For instance, I like Pro-R, but I have EOS 2 and ADverb2. I like Pro-C, but I have Korvpressor, RoughRider, NYCompressor, Transient (which works better as a mastering compressor when dialed in gently), and of course Envolver's MIDI-based automation for sidechaining purposes (which actually comes off just as clean as Pro-C's sidechaining). Pro-MB is replaceable with PressIt. Saturn is replaceable with K-Shaper, Fuzzplus, Grind, SquashIt, DAW LP, DAW Cassette, etc. Twin2 is covered by most synths I have in Gadget (and easily replaceable with Obsidian once NS2 is released). You get the picture.

However, Pro-Q2 would probably be the ONLY FF plugin I'd need outside of Auria. It has the spectrum analyser I've sorely needed. It has up to 24-bands with a whole plethora of filter shapes. The interface is dead simple to use. It's also perfect for mastering tracks with spectral matching (at least I hope the AU version has a form of that). Best of all, no stupid subscriptions required.

Hopefully Maxima will soon have LuFS metering installed so I won't have to bother with Pro-L2. Don't much care to pay $40 again for Pro-L2.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@CracklePot said:
    And so affordable!

Oh wait...

To be fair, while I'm a completionist in the worst ways for the most part, I also don't feel like repurchasing the FF plugins all over again just to have them as AU if I already have a decent substitute from all the other fine choices in the appstore. For instance, I like Pro-R, but I have EOS 2 and ADverb2. I like Pro-C, but I have Korvpressor, RoughRider, NYCompressor, Transient (which works better as a mastering compressor when dialed in gently), and of course Envolver's MIDI-based automation for sidechaining purposes (which actually comes off just as clean as Pro-C's sidechaining). Pro-MB is replaceable with PressIt. Saturn is replaceable with K-Shaper, Fuzzplus, Grind, SquashIt, DAW LP, DAW Cassette, etc. Twin2 is covered by most synths I have in Gadget (and easily replaceable with Obsidian once NS2 is released). You get the picture.

However, Pro-Q2 would probably be the ONLY FF plugin I'd need outside of Auria. It has the spectrum analyser I've sorely needed. It has up to 24-bands with a whole plethora of filter shapes. The interface is dead simple to use. It's also perfect for mastering tracks with spectral matching (at least I hope the AU version has a form of that). Best of all, no stupid subscriptions required.

Hopefully Maxima will soon have LuFS metering installed so I won't have to bother with Pro-L2. Don't much care to pay $40 again for Pro-L2.

I agree with everything you said, @jwmmakerofmusic

I only own Pro-Q 2 at the moment, and it is absolutely spectacular. So yeah, I would consider re-buying this, but with my recent acquisition of Parametric EQ, I can wait for a sale. It's not like I can't use Pro-Q 2 in Auria still....

As far as the others go - as stunning as they may be, I don't need Pro-R as I've got Adverb, Eos, Amazing Noises Reverb, Gliderverb, Freezeverb, etc.... and I'm sure I can accomplish what I need with those (I use Adverb and Eos 90% of the time anyway). And the rest - I've lived without them this long.

I'm rarely one to squabble about a price tag, and I'm not doubting the justification here as these are all top quality. My wallet just hurts a bit after these last couple months and I need to lay off...

• @Daveypoo said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@CracklePot said:
    And so affordable!

Oh wait...

I agree with everything you said, @jwmmakerofmusic

I only own Pro-Q 2 at the moment, and it is absolutely spectacular. So yeah, I would consider re-buying this, but with my recent acquisition of Parametric EQ, I can wait for a sale. It's not like I can't use Pro-Q 2 in Auria still....

As far as the others go - as stunning as they may be, I don't need Pro-R as I've got Adverb, Eos, Amazing Noises Reverb, Gliderverb, Freezeverb, etc.... and I'm sure I can accomplish what I need with those (I use Adverb and Eos 90% of the time anyway). And the rest - I've lived without them this long.

I'm rarely one to squabble about a price tag, and I'm not doubting the justification here as these are all top quality. My wallet just hurts a bit after these last couple months and I need to lay off...

These two posts are what I needed to pull the trigger. Convinced me that I won‘t have to purchase all the other „must-haves“ that might be coming. Just this one. Hopefully. Seriously. I guess. Well...

Thank you guys... :#

• It’s going to be interesting to see how the fabs sell on iOS. There is different competition than desktop and lots of us have had great results from existing apps. Different market a little bit. I really really hope they are all #1 on the App Store for 6 week’s straight. Would be great for all of us.

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@CracklePot said:
    And so affordable!

Oh wait...

Agree!
    Don’t forget Grand Finale can yield amazing results too

• @Arpseechord said:

@jwmmakerofmusic said:

@CracklePot said:
    And so affordable!

Oh wait...

Agree!
    Don’t forget Grand Finale can yield amazing results too

Ah right! Speaking about AUs, I forgot about GF for a split sec. I'd probably have to do spectral matching in AUM with Pro-Q2, being super careful to leave plenty of headroom, and then pop it into Grand Finale for the compression. Cheers mate. :mrgreen:

• @richardyot said:
    The spectral analyser is worth the entry price alone, takes so much of the guesswork out of the equation, you can see the peaks in the signal.

Yeah, this in itself is certainly very attractive. I trust my ears but my eyes are faster. Why it's not a standard feature for EQs is baffling.

• Ohh god my wallet :o

• @NoiseHorse said:
    It’s going to be interesting to see how the fabs sell on iOS. There is different competition than desktop and lots of us have had great results from existing apps. Different market a little bit. I really really hope they are all #1 on the App Store for 6 week’s straight. Would be great for all of us.

This will only happen if people stump-up the money and buy it. I believe we’re at a turning point here. If Pro-Q2 sells well, more desktop plugin devs will follow and the platform will become a true alternative to desktop. If it doesn’t sell well, FF may not think the platform is viable and the other devs will avoid it like the plague; the platform could stagnate. Or it could into something else, something different and beautiful.

• $30?! No thanks.

• Finally. Price point is ok in my opinion for top of the line EQ

• edited July 2018

@Beathoven said:

@NoiseHorse said:
    It’s going to be interesting to see how the fabs sell on iOS. There is different competition than desktop and lots of us have had great results from existing apps. Different market a little bit. I really really hope they are all #1 on the App Store for 6 week’s straight. Would be great for all of us.

This will only happen if people stump-up the money and buy it. I believe we’re at a turning point here. If Pro-Q2 sells well, more desktop plugin devs will follow and the platform will become a true alternative to desktop. If it doesn’t sell well, FF may not think the platform is viable and the other devs will avoid it like the plague; the platform could stagnate. Or it could into something else, something different and beautiful.

I think the bar gets raised a bit at a time along the length of the bar. Hopefuly BM3 will help nudge it up further by automating this properly and somehow allowing the hopefully forthcoming limiter to side chain. If I can get an EQ, Reverb AND Limiter all working 100% in BM3 then hellzyah, I am in for three figures+ which will be either at XMas or my BDay (yes I am manchild who has to wait for his new toys) when gift cards are burning a hole in my psyche.

For now though, until the new holy trinity, I will be sketching with cheap AUs, exporting dry and mixing on desktop.

• I couldn’t see the answer in this post, the feature list or the ss: does the au do sidechain eq the same as desktop?
    Sorry if I missed the answer

• How is it in bm3

• @EDB, since Auria has it, and since it’s essential for matching EQ, my guess would be yes. But I have only the Auria version, so I’m not really sure. Anyway, it doesn’t make sense for FabFilter to make this release such a huge event while selling a cripled version of the Auria plug-in. They have a Facebook page, very responsible, you should ask them directly.

• I agree, those who already bought it in Auria should get a discount.

• @Norbert said:
    I agree, those who already bought it in Auria should get a discount.

But probably won’t because of the way app store handles this.

• @Beathoven said:

@NoiseHorse said:

This has become a common refrain on these boards — if we want nice things, we need to pony up for them. Support the devs! Yes, definitely.

But this seems categorically different. This single plug-in costs nearly as much as Cubasis 2. It cost more than Beatmaker 3. That's nuts. Maybe these plug-ins are worth it, and maybe everything should be more expensive, but it really messes with the iOS ecosystem as it is right now.

• I think it’s a bit of a shame that folks who’ve spent hundreds on the Auria versions, don’t get some kind of discount the new batch.

• To be fair, while I'm a completionist in the worst ways for the most part

This. I’m content with my FF plugs in Auria Pro but Q2 is the one that I committed to buy a second time. It’s that good.

• @MonzoPro said:
    I think it’s a bit of a shame that folks who’ve spent hundreds on the Auria versions, don’t get some kind of discount the new batch.

That‘s Apple‘s fault then. And then all owners of the plug-ins should get it for free?