Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

chordion 2 isn’t that being worked on?

Has anyone heard anymore on chordion 2? I quite like the original, and thought i had remembered that chordion 2 was being developed a long time ago. just curious when that bad boy comes to market

Comments

• Get Chorpolypad instead

• @eross said:
    Has anyone heard anymore on chordion 2? I quite like the original, and thought i had remembered that chordion 2 was being developed a long time ago. just curious when that bad boy comes to market

What would you like to see in a Chordion 2 out of curiosity?

• I do remember that as well. The talk was of making it universal but I’m assuming this is probabaly over given how long it’s been without a word.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@eross said:

Clock sync, for one. I love the arpeggiator but it can be a bit tricky

I think there was also mention of an expanded synth engine with access to parameters from the pad screen as well? This was from way back when, so I suspect that ONC realized Patterning would be a more profitable v2 and put Chordion Pro on the back burner.

But if benkamen is reading this, list me as a day-one buyer for the new Chordion!

• @jrjulius said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@eross said:

Clock sync, for one. I love the arpeggiator but it can be a bit tricky

I think there was also mention of an expanded synth engine with access to parameters from the pad screen as well? This was from way back when, so I suspect that ONC realized Patterning would be a more profitable v2 and put Chordion Pro on the back burner.

But if benkamen is reading this, list me as a day-one buyer for the new Chordion!

I love Chordion and funny you mention the synth engine as it was not a priority feature to me at all but in-fact it sounds quite nice and usable.

• clock sync yes, quick clear setup. two melody keyboards on r/h side.
    maybe some cc assignable sliders on the left.

• I was working on Chordion 2 for over a year when I got sort of frustrated/overwhelmed and needed a break.... decided to put together Patterning 2 instead first. I still plan on getting back to it. It’s got some really cool features, but it had to be completely rewritten from scratch so it’s been a major major endeavor.

• I may do a phone version first and then later the iPad version. Not sure!

• @benkamen said:
    I may do a phone version first and then later the iPad version. Not sure!

well, you are doing an amazing job! Thanks for making these creations.

• @benkamen said:

agh yes iphone version would be nice.

• @benkamen said:

That actually makes perfect sense. I don’t have an iPhone, but always felt certain “playable surface” apps would be better on an iPhone.

• still love it on my ipad though , would love to see a new version for ipad

• @[Deleted User] said:
    still love it on my ipad though , would love to see a new version for ipad

Add me on!

• Just chiming in on this one. Spent quite a bit of time in Chordion one tonight, it’s a really thoughtfully designed app.

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    Just chiming in on this one. Spent quite a bit of time in Chordion one tonight, it’s a really thoughtfully designed app.

I’ve been messing with Chordion a lot lately as well. It really is a great app and sounds pretty nice. Check out C.Arp as well. Another very cool Omnichord-like app.

• @HotStrange said:

@johnfromberkeley said:
    Just chiming in on this one. Spent quite a bit of time in Chordion one tonight, it’s a really thoughtfully designed app.

sounds pretty nice

Agreed, but I wish you could save sound presets.

That said… I was using it to drive MIDI in AUM last night, and having a grand old time mapping up iSymphonic and a bunch of other stuff.

• It still works great as an IAA in AUM.

• @Poppadocrock said:
    It still works great as an IAA in AUM.

Unless I'm missing something, the key features lacking in chordion are, in order of priority:

1. The note bars for playing melody have no right-left velocity sensitivity. Yes there is a velocity slider but it is in the midi section, not the chord section - such a pity. Very inconvenient to jump about like that to get a bit of basic expressiveness. Polyharp has this feature but has multiple bugs at the moment at least on my device / OS so is not currently an option. Tonality is not quite giving what I'm looking for. Chord poly pad seems not to allow this kind of very free plucking and strumming. Same with scaler 2, chord jam etc. I want to feel like I'm playing a guitar or a harp or whatever in real time.

2. No way to adjust the octave range of the melody playing section.

Apart from this it is great. What is the best alternative? Absolutely must have some way of playing with touch location altering velocity sensitivity. Must have easy ways to switch between chords with a melody section capable of strumming and or tapping. Must allow the chord to be played on a range of octaves. Ideally auv3 but iaa would do.

• edited March 2023

Tonality, not to be confused with TONALY, would be my recommendation. the Au chord pads inside, there are 4-5 AU’s inside, you can set each pad by scales, then do chords or single notes, or even the strum feature which slices a pad into individual notes to play or swipe across. Has Velocity sensitivity. You can set up whatever notes or chords you want, any octave. It doesn’t have the chords and notes at the same time unless you make a preset, but it’s not difficult to do.

Keynality is decent but IAA only

Navichord is great but IAA only

• @Poppadocrock said:
    Tonality, not to be confused with TONALY, would be my recommendation. the Au chord pads inside, there are 4-5 AU’s inside, you can set each pad by scales, then do chords or single notes, or even the strum feature which slices a pad into individual notes to play or swipe across. Has Velocity sensitivity. You can set up whatever notes or chords you want, any octave. It doesn’t have the chords and notes at the same time unless you make a preset, but it’s not difficult to do.

Keynality is decent but IAA only

Navichord is great but IAA only

Yep Chris, I already settled on tonality yesterday as the best current option. It has many advantages over other tools. Polyharp though has its own different advantages, including a bunch of pretty amazing built in 'instruments' ready to strum. Love the chordion interface but the UI not easily allowing you to shift between chords / strum patterns while changing velocity was an extremely poor design decision.

In Tonality, I'd prefer an optional different way of managing velocity (finger position on the strum pad when it is widened for direct control of velocity rather than needing to press on the chord pad to do velocity). I submitted that and a few other feature requests yesterday and as usual, Tonality dev is an absolute gent and has added some of the suggestions to the todo list.

That said, I reckon this is currently the only auv3 solution that gets anywhere close to what I'm looking for. Expect to be using a lot more Tonality in my vids henceforth!

• @Gavinski Right on. Yea I love Tonality. It does allow you to change master velocity, at bottom, but it also lets you change settings of velocity. You can set whether you want the velocity level of each pad to be from bottom (low) to top of pad (high) or center of pad (high) and the further away from center of the pad the lower the velocity.

I believe velocity is open to automation. @TonalityApp has made so many updates I couldn’t always keep track of the enormous amount of features, & abilities this app has added. I use it all the time.

True, not only is Tonality one of the best apps out there, but the developer is one heck of a dude. I’ve had many interactions with him, and I shout Tonality anytime it applies. Not only because the app is amazing, but it has so many things inside, the developer is great, and it’s a steal at the price point.

• edited March 2023

@Poppadocrock said:
    @Gavinski Right on. Yea I love Tonality. It does allow you to change master velocity, at bottom, but it also lets you change settings of velocity. You can set whether you want the velocity level of each pad to be from bottom (low) to top of pad (high) or center of pad (high) and the further away from center of the pad the lower the velocity.

I believe velocity is open to automation. @TonalityApp has made so many updates I couldn’t always keep track of the enormous amount of features, & abilities this app has added. I use it all the time.

True, not only is Tonality one of the best apps out there, but the developer is one heck of a dude. I’ve had many interactions with him, and I shout Tonality anytime it applies. Not only because the app is amazing, but it has so many things inside, the developer is great, and it’s a steal at the price point.

+1 for Tonality as an app, and also +1 for an developer who really models the kind of interaction and customer care that puts many others in the shade.

For example, I asked whether there could be a Pad mode where, when shifting from one chord to another in Mono pad mode, that only the new notes would be triggered, and any notes shared by the old and new chord would simply be held, and he took time to understand the need and added it in.

So apart from its many other strengths, Tonality is a dream for creating ambient soundscapes which slowly shift and evolve, rather than restarting a note which is already playing and introducing a discontinuity.

• @Poppadocrock said:
    @Gavinski Right on. Yea I love Tonality. It does allow you to change master velocity, at bottom, but it also lets you change settings of velocity. You can set whether you want the velocity level of each pad to be from bottom (low) to top of pad (high) or center of pad (high) and the further away from center of the pad the lower the velocity.

Yep... Agree with all of this. Dev is a brilliant and absolutely lovely guy. A lot of thought put into this very intelligent app.

• @craftycurate said:

@Poppadocrock said:

+1 for Tonality as an app, and also +1 for an developer who really models the kind of interaction and customer care that puts many others in the shade.

For example, I asked whether there could be a Pad mode where, when shifting from one chord to another in Mono pad mode, that only the new notes would be triggered, and any notes shared by the old and new chord would simply be held, and he took time to understand the need and added it in.

So apart from its many other strengths, Tonality is a dream for creating ambient soundscapes which slowly shift and evolve, rather than restarting a note which is already playing and introducing a discontinuity.

Great points... I am also, like poppa, just getting up to speed with the many updates that have arrived. Until a few days ago I hadn't used it for quite a while. Haven't tried the mono pads setting, sounds super useful. Great suggestion and I'm glad it was implemented. Top dev!

• Thanks @Gavinski, @Poppadocrock, and @craftycurate! Always nice to hear the app is proving itself useful.