Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

StreamByter AUv3 (Out now!) - All the Midi-Control you could ask for!

Comments

• I’ve also tried this one that I dug up from audeonic forum but while I managed to get it to work it was affecting all channels. Then couldn’t reproduce it again. How do I add remapping info from ch 1 to 16 to this code? @SpookyZoo

BX 07 = XX 4A

• @supadom said:
    I’ve also tried this one that I dug up from audeonic forum but while I managed to get it to work it was affecting all channels. Then couldn’t reproduce it again. How do I add remapping info from ch 1 to 16 to this code? @SpookyZoo

BX 07 = XX 4A

should be

B0 07 = XF 4A

• @SpookyZoo said:

@supadom said:
    I’ve also tried this one that I dug up from audeonic forum but while I managed to get it to work it was affecting all channels. Then couldn’t reproduce it again. How do I add remapping info from ch 1 to 16 to this code? @SpookyZoo

BX 07 = XX 4A

should be

B0 07 = XF 4A

Success! Love you man!

One more challenge though. How do I limit the range between 0 and 64?

• @supadom said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@supadom said:

BX 07 = XX 4A

should be

B0 07 = XF 4A

Success! Love you man!

Cool. I'll need to check that later. Not used ranges for a while.

Please add more detail though. Is this the range coming in or going out?

• edited November 2018

@SpookyZoo said:

@supadom said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@supadom said:

BX 07 = XX 4A

should be

B0 07 = XF 4A

Success! Love you man!

Basically circuit has combined LP and HP filters on one encoder. 0 to 64 is LP and 64 to 127 HP. It is close to impossible to snap back to 64 when filter is not needed using an expression foot pedal so I decided to only use LP.

• @supadom said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@supadom said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@supadom said:

BX 07 = XX 4A

should be

B0 07 = XF 4A

Success! Love you man!

Basically circuit has combined LP and HP filters on one encoder. 0 to 64 is LP and 64 to 127 HP. It is close to impossible to snap back to 64 when filter is not needed using an expression foot pedal so I decided to only use LP.

Are you sure CC74 is for the physical dual filter knob?

I seemed to remember that the cc 74 related to just the selected filter type?

Could be wrong, I'll have a look for you this evening.

• @SpookyZoo said:

@supadom said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@supadom said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@supadom said:

BX 07 = XX 4A

should be

B0 07 = XF 4A

Success! Love you man!

Are you sure CC74 is for the physical dual filter knob?

I seemed to remember that the cc 74 related to just the selected filter type?

Could be wrong, I'll have a look for you this evening.

EDIT: You're right....

I'll test out the range code a bit later and get back to you.

• Could probably do a 'MATH' equation that would divide the incoming value by 2, so that way you'd get the full response range from your pedal rather than just using half of it.

Lemme have a think.

• @SpookyZoo is the SB Ninja! Nice going...

• @SpookyZoo said:
    Could probably do a 'MATH' equation that would divide the incoming value by 2, so that way you'd get the full response range from your pedal rather than just using half of it.

Lemme have a think.

I just found this on their forum

http://audeonic.boards.net/thread/548/limit-range-cc-values

• edited November 2018

@supadom said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@supadom said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@supadom said:

BX 07 = XX 4A

should be

B0 07 = XF 4A

Success! Love you man!

Ok, this seems to work for me...

IF M0 == B0 07

ASS K0 = M2

MAT K0 = K0 / 2

SND BF 4A K0 +B

XX = XX +B

END

• @SpookyZoo said:

@supadom said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@supadom said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@supadom said:

BX 07 = XX 4A

should be

B0 07 = XF 4A

Success! Love you man!

IF M0 == B0 07

ASS K0 = M2

MAT K0 = K0 / 2

SND BF 4A K0 +B

XX = XX +B

END

Works beautifully! Which values are the range in case I wanted to alter them? It is all Chinese to me...literally...apart from ASS!

• @supadom said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@supadom said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@supadom said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@supadom said:

BX 07 = XX 4A

should be

B0 07 = XF 4A

Success! Love you man!

IF M0 == B0 07

ASS K0 = M2

MAT K0 = K0 / 2

SND BF 4A K0 +B

XX = XX +B

END

Works beautifully! Which values are the range in case I wanted to alter them? It is all Chinese to me...literally...apart from ASS!

So most midi messages have 3 parts ...

• message type & channel number (B0) # B = Controller change / 0 = channel 1
    • cc number (07)
    • parameter value

In StreamByter, midi messages have their own array, these parts are located at midi array values M0, M1, M2.

I assigned the parameter value (M2) to the variable K0.

I then used a ‘Math’ tag to divide its value by 2 and store that divided value back into K0.

We then snd the new 3 midi message parts with their new channel, cc, and divided value.

The XX = xx +b code is basically blocking the original signal from being sent.

Hope that makes a little sense.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    @SpookyZoo is the SB Ninja! Nice going...

Yup indeed...I'd go for SB Alchemist but maybe that's too unscientific.

Next step: template for boppad! ;)

• StreamByter is awesome!

• TbH I'd pay a few more quid for the addition of a user interface and an engine that does all of the coding. As is it is massively cryptic. Imagine if you had to input a code to transpose a keyboard in a synth or in and out on a Sampler app. That would have been a total nightmare.

• @supadom said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    @SpookyZoo is the SB Ninja! Nice going...

Yup indeed...I'd go for SB Alchemist but maybe that's too unscientific.

Next step: template for boppad! ;)

I'll pull out the code I wrote previously and see if we can get it working more smoothly. Nick has some samples of how to smooth out x/y interactions on the audeonic forum. Worth a shot.

• wimwim
    edited November 2018

@supadom said:
    TbH I'd pay a few more quid for the addition of a user interface and an engine that does all of the coding. As is it is massively cryptic. Imagine if you had to input a code to transpose a keyboard in a synth or in and out on a Sampler app. That would have been a total nightmare.

I assume you’re going this route because you specifically want it to be AUv3? Because MidiFlow and others do this in a snap, with no coding, but are standalone.

• edited November 2018

@wim said:

@supadom said:
    TbH I'd pay a few more quid for the addition of a user interface and an engine that does all of the coding. As is it is massively cryptic. Imagine if you had to input a code to transpose a keyboard in a synth or in and out on a Sampler app. That would have been a total nightmare.

I assume you’re going this route because you specifically want it to be AUv3? Because MidiFlow and others do this in a snap, with no coding, but are standalone.

I don't mind the pain if it is for just one line of code but I have BopPad incoming and will need more than one instance of streambyter for that so either way AUV3 might be the only way? What are the 'others' you mention?

I haven't done a massive research before pulling the trigger to be completely honest.

• wimwim
    edited November 2018

@supadom said:

@wim said:

@supadom said:

I don't mind the pain if it is for just one line of code but I have BopPad incoming and will need more than one instance of streambyter for that so either way AUV3 might be the only way? What are the 'others' you mention?

I haven't done a massive research before pulling the trigger to be completely honest.

Well, MidiFlow is the standalone app I’ve worked with the most and like the best. It would have no problem with multiple apps and controllers as you can set up “lanes” with different inputs, translator/filters, and outputs, all in one instance.

The downside is it’s a standalone app that you have to run alongside the rest of your setup. It also only uses CoreMidi, so, if you’ve got routings set up in AUM it might require some creativity to fit into existing setups. The upside is it’s way easier to grasp since you don’t need to do coding. It has a built in midi monitor as well, which is very handy.

MidiFire is another, not quite as powerful as far as abilities without coding, but does also have a graphical routing layout and monitoring ability, and it includes StreamByter for the heavy lifting.

Those are the only ones I’ve used. I go with StreamByter now because I’m comfortable with programming, and appreciate the streamlined approach and the fact that the AUv3 state is always saved in the project. But, I can’t say I’d recommend it for anyone that is is intimidated by learning a programming language. Forget about it ever being user-friendly. That’s not its purpose.

• @wim so isn’t midiflow Audiobus compatible? I keep getting confused with midiflow apps that appeared alongside AB3 (or was it 2?). If the routings were saved with AB preset that would be perfect but I can’t see it in the app’s description.

If this isn’t possible then I guess SB is the one, despite the coding mallarchy.

• @supadom said:
    @wim so isn’t midiflow Audiobus compatible? I keep getting confused with midiflow apps that appeared alongside AB3 (or was it 2?). If the routings were saved with AB preset that would be perfect but I can’t see it in the app’s description.

If this isn’t possible then I guess SB is the one, despite the coding mallarchy.

There is a standalone app called MidiFlow, that doesn’t run in AudioBus but can be used alongside it. This is the one I was talking about.

There are a number of AB3 midi filter apps by the same developer that also have MidiFlow in the name ... MidiFlow Channels, MidiFlow Adapter, MidiFlow Monitor, etc ... that run inside AB3 and save their state. However, each one is single purpose and not all the functionality of the standalone MidiFlow app is covered by them. Probably not adequate for your situation.

StreamByter is probably the best fit. You may be able to wrap your head around the programming language in time if you’re willing to try. If not, then if you describe cleanly and completely what you need to do, there are a bunch of us nerds here and on the StreamByter forum that will probably be happy to set up.

One caveat: StreamByter doesn’t have preset saving. It has state saving, meaning that whatever is in the code window will be saved with a project and be just as it was when you return. But, you can’t just save that as a preset, load up StreamByter in another project, and recall that preset. So, you have to resort to keeping track of the code snippets somewhere else, such as in notes, or cut/paste between projects. This is a big shortcoming IMO, but not difficult to work around. Just setting expectations.

• @wim said:

@supadom said:
    @wim so isn’t midiflow Audiobus compatible? I keep getting confused with midiflow apps that appeared alongside AB3 (or was it 2?). If the routings were saved with AB preset that would be perfect but I can’t see it in the app’s description.

There is a standalone app called MidiFlow, that doesn’t run in AudioBus but can be used alongside it. This is the one I was talking about.

There are a number of AB3 midi filter apps by the same developer that also have MidiFlow in the name ... MidiFlow Channels, MidiFlow Adapter, MidiFlow Monitor, etc ... that run inside AB3 and save their state. However, each one is single purpose and not all the functionality of the standalone MidiFlow app is covered by them. Probably not adequate for your situation.

StreamByter is probably the best fit. You may be able to wrap your head around the programming language in time if you’re willing to try. If not, then if you describe cleanly and completely what you need to do, there are a bunch of us nerds here and on the StreamByter forum that will probably be happy to set up.

One caveat: StreamByter doesn’t have preset saving. It has state saving, meaning that whatever is in the code window will be saved with a project and be just as it was when you return. But, you can’t just save that as a preset, load up StreamByter in another project, and recall that preset. So, you have to resort to keeping track of the code snippets somewhere else, such as in notes, or cut/paste between projects. This is a big shortcoming IMO, but not difficult to work around. Just setting expectations.

In AUM you can save streambyter presets and recall in any new project you make. At least I have made two that works like this. Maybe different for AB?

• @wim said:

@supadom said:

Nice one, thanks for the detailed info. I generally only work with one set up live so preset saving is not an issue.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@wim said:

@supadom said:

In AUM you can save streambyter presets and recall in any new project you make. At least I have made two that works like this. Maybe different for AB?

Yes, Audiobus doesn’t seem to have AUV3 preset saving yet unless the app itself has that functionality.

• @[Deleted User] said:

@wim said:

@supadom said:

Eh. You’re right. That wasn’t the case when it first came out, but is now. Glad to be wrong on this one! B)

• @supadom said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@wim said:

@supadom said:

Yes, Audiobus doesn’t seem to have AUV3 preset saving yet unless the app itself has that functionality.

Ah, maybe for a future AB update that one then.

• @wim said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@wim said:

@supadom said:

Eh. You’re right. That wasn’t the case when it first came out, but is now. Glad to be wrong on this one! B)

👍

• _ki_ki
    edited November 2018

@wim In AUM, ApeMatrix, Garageband, Cubasis, AuriaPro and Modstep you can save the streambyter scripts into host-specific presets that can be recalled in other sessions of the host.

Audiobus currently only supports loading of AU factory presets. But i suspect there is something in the works.

Ahhh i see, already answered. I took to long to investigates the host, so my answer was late :)

• _ki_ki
    edited November 2018

@supadom Why do you think you will need several instances of streambyter for the BopPad ?
    A longer script can read from several midi channels at once and distribute the computed output via new channels /notes/messages to different synth/drums whatever.