Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Jumpy Controller Knobs

I have a MiniLabMk2 that has been effectively reduced to 8 reliable rotaries (instead of 16) due to the other 8 not moving smoothly in the software. Note that the actual buttons turn smoothly on the hardware but the software feedback is quite jerky (Analog Lab / Live 10 on mac... Any synth on iOS).
This was an issue which also occurred on an old M-AUDIO 02 I had from the mid-2000s. Thing got so bad I just stopped using it. But this Minilab is less than a year old. I have an APC and a LaunchControl with rotaries that work flawlessly.
Has anyone else experienced these things? Should I just open this mofo up to clean some contacts or something?
Lemme know if you have experienced this and what's your solution.

Comments

• I have one also. So when you first fire up your system, computer, iPad, iPhone, whatever set to Relative mode or off of.
    ![](https://forum.audiob.us/uploads/editor/fy/
    https://www.arturia.com/support/faq/
    This will solve your problem as I was in the same boat when I first purchased mine. I finally figured it out by simply searching the issue on YouTube where I found the right solution. Hope this helps.

• I’m thinking of getting one of these mk2s, weighed up against the others in the same range it seems to best cover what I need.

@ph8aerror @Morgman73 Are you two happy with the Minilabs (presuming you get the 16 working)?

• Thanks @Morgman73 , but all my rotaries except 1 and 9 (which I only use in MLab are already absolute.
    @EDB Yeah, if I get this 16 working it would be perfect for me. A lil Swiss Army knife.

• Does anyone actually get smooth operation of software using hardware controllers? I’ve never come across it and had bugun to think it must just be a myth.

• I’ve never had any issues with it at all and I dig it. Smooth parameter changes always.

• @ZenLizard said:
    Does anyone actually get smooth operation of software using hardware controllers? I’ve never come across it and had bugun to think it must just be a myth.

Lol. I thought so too, but my APC (Akai) and Launch Control Mini (Novation) is butter smooth.

• Not exactly true @ph8aerror. Thor has a perfect knob controlling solution. One that other devs should replicate and this forum praise IMO. There was a thread about this issue. Thor's elegant solution is to swipe away from the knob creating a vertical line from which you control the rotary with unerring accuracy, and when you lift your finger there is no change I💙Thor!

• Oops... Sorry, I reread the post. Didn't realize you were talking hardware! Anyway, glad to bring up Thor's great solution to a UI problem on any occasion.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Oops... Sorry, I reread the post. Didn't realize you were talking hardware! Anyway, glad to bring up Thor's great solution to a UI problem on any occasion.

I agree about Thor’s controls.

• edited June 2018

Be careful with endless knobs and relative CC modes. They are ideal for controlling parameters but most iOS software does not support them yet.
    Yes, jumpy dials can be a contact issue, but make sure to use a MIDI message monitor first and check what causes these parameter jumps. It might be the wrong controller mode.

• @ph8aerror said:
    I have a MiniLabMk2 that has been effectively reduced to 8 reliable rotaries (instead of 16) due to the other 8 not moving smoothly in the software. Note that the actual buttons turn smoothly on the hardware but the software feedback is quite jerky (Analog Lab / Live 10 on mac... Any synth on iOS).
    This was an issue which also occurred on an old M-AUDIO 02 I had from the mid-2000s. Thing got so bad I just stopped using it. But this Minilab is less than a year old. I have an APC and a LaunchControl with rotaries that work flawlessly.
    Has anyone else experienced these things? Should I just open this mofo up to clean some contacts or something?

My old Arturia BeatStep had the same issue. Exactly the same issue with some rotaries not working accurate. I tried cleaning it with alcohol without succes and got rid of it.

• edited June 2018

@Proto said:

@ph8aerror said:

My old Arturia BeatStep had the same issue. Exactly the same issue with some rotaries not working accurate. I tried cleaning it with alcohol without succes and got rid of it.

Alcohol kills encoders , faders and knobs . There are dedicated cleaning sprays that have some oil , in worst case scenario use anti-rust sprays (they have much more oil but it’s better than the general cleaning sprays or alcohol which removes all the needed grease )

@ph8aerror can you try using a powered usb hub ?

• @Korakios said:

Yup. This happens when connected to ALive directly, via a powered hub, and on iOS directly and via a powered hub.

• @Korakios said:

@Proto said:

@ph8aerror said:

Alcohol kills encoders , faders and knobs . There are dedicated cleaning sprays that have some oil , in worst case scenario use anti-rust sprays (they have much more oil but it’s better than the general cleaning sprays or alcohol which removes all the needed grease )

Can you tell me the name of specific spray product? I need to clean knobs of my Arturia BeatStep
    Thanks

• @apanebia said:

@Korakios said:

@Proto said:

@ph8aerror said:

Can you tell me the name of specific spray product? I need to clean knobs of my Arturia BeatStep
    Thanks

Glad to see this old thread revived. I have a Minilab MK2 as well, about a year and a half old. One of the encoders started failing a few months ago and is now completely unusable. The one next to it is going the same route. Arturia offered a repair if I could send the device to their shop in France but I'm in Canada (I'd have to cover shipping costs back and forth). They also offered to send a new logic board (again I'd have to cover shipping costs, which is about half the cost of a new one) which I would have to replace myself. I'll try cleaning them and report back if anyone can suggest a product!

• arturia suggested that I clean the knobs with a special circuit cleaning spray or isopropyl alcohol.
    but there are so many on the market that I get confused.
    for this I hope that someone who has the same problem can suggest the solution

• @dvi said:

@apanebia said:

@Korakios said:

@Proto said:

@ph8aerror said:

Thanks

Glad to see this old thread revived. I have a Minilab MK2 as well, about a year and a half old. One of the encoders started failing a few months ago and is now completely unusable. The one next to it is going the same route. Arturia offered a repair if I could send the device to their shop in France but I'm in Canada (I'd have to cover shipping costs back and forth). They also offered to send a new logic board (again I'd have to cover shipping costs, which is about half the cost of a new one) which I would have to replace myself. I'll try cleaning them and report back if anyone can suggest a product!

i found the servinol super 10.
    as soon as it arrives I try it on the beatstep knob and update you

• the precision of the knobs is improved with isopropyl alcohol, only on two knobs unfortunately.
    tomorrow comes the specific spray for circuits and contacts, servisol super 10.
    tomorrow i try it on potentiometers.

• I’d agree that Servisol Super 10 is a good product to sort out jumpy pots. I have four Behringer BCR2000’s permenantly mapped to both virtual and hardware synths (I swap out overlays for the different configurations). Anyway these things are built like tanks but their 32 endless encoders get a bit glitchy over time and Servisol sorts them out in a jiffy.

Funnily enough I have a Beatstep which I use mainly to sequence a Moog Minitaur and the encoders give me no grief at all. I presumed that Arturia used a different supplier to the one that makes the MiniLab Mk2. But reading this thread, it looks like I’ll heading for the Servisol before too long.

If you’re mainly interested in the 16 endless encoders, the Beatstep seems a far better buy to me (it’s in the same price bracket as the MiniLab Mk2). The fact that it can be both USB MIDI controller and analog CV sequencer is killer for the price. I keep on thinking of upgrading to a Beatstep Pro, but even if I do, I think I’ll keep it’s little brother as it’s so versatile.

• i finally solved.
    with servisol super 10 encoders that weren't working well now respond accurately.
    thank you very much again for the support.

• @apanebia said:
    i finally solved.
    with servisol super 10 encoders that weren't working well now respond accurately.
    thank you very much again for the support.

Awesome, thanks for reporting! I can't get seem to find Servisol here but I can order a bottle of Deoxit F5. I figure it will be a good investment. Hopefully I'll have the same luck!