Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

How do I translate this workflow to IOS ? (Techno)

I’ve been producing for some time, know most of the gear he is using. However it looks to me as if he’s performing magic.
Could I do something similar with AUM and Rozeta ?
I have two iPads and a lot of apps.

Comments

• Hui huihui this dude knows his gear :smiley: thanks for sharing!

• edited June 2018

1st lets break it down, so a Cirklon, I guess Rozetta could be comparable (not really but better in some ways), I see a tape delay so maybe tap delay (virsyn) on a return channel in AUM. An Sh101 for the bass, looks like a vintage digital reverb there so maybe Adverb. Use a couple of instances of x0x (rozetta) and a drum sampler or MV808 and ripplemaker.. ok you've got the start there. Synths: Poison (kind of simplish could replicate some 101 tones), troublemaker, and ruismaker...I've still yet to find a nice iOS AU Sampler, perhaps run Simplr as IAA. create some feedback loops with your return fx (the delay and reverb from earlier), put a limiter on those channels, ok you're kinda getting some new tones. Now spend several years using this setup and releasing albums then you can kinda do the same magic.

• Thank you for your answers :smiley: , I looked at the video till the end, where he explains that his patterns are prerecorded.

So using the gear from the comment above I will create patterns in scene mode in bm3, then do the knob twiddling with the auv3 parameters assigned to macros.
    Create an audio channel recording the master output. (Unless there’s a simpler way to record live in bm3 ?)

• edited June 2018

I was going to say BM3 as your sequencer/sampler hosting x0x and bassline then using the busses in ApeMatrix might be fun. I haven't played with that yet. One of the problems I have with BM3 is you can't do weird fx routing like I enjoy but bussing out to AUM or ApeMatrix would get you there.

oh and speaking from experience:
    https://soundcloud.com/metaphreaq

my workflow now is hardware and iPad mainly, a lot material made public is old, I just finished this this last weekend and its BM3 with recorded synth: private link here

• Mate, know your gear and you can produce good music. Stretch your instruments thin...

• Damn, this thread scares me! :#
    Bye-bye.
    B)

• @c_crs said:
    I was going to say BM3 as your sequencer/sampler hosting x0x and bassline then using the busses in ApeMatrix might be fun. I haven't played with that yet. One of the problems I have with BM3 is you can't do weird fx routing like I enjoy but bussing out to AUM or ApeMatrix would get you there.

oh and speaking from experience:
    https://soundcloud.com/metaphreaq

my workflow now is hardware and iPad mainly, a lot material made public is old, I just finished this this last weekend and its BM3 with recorded synth: private link here

Nice sounding track! I don’t hear much no nonsense techno being made with iOS for some reason. Gives me hope. I’ve tried with BM3 before but I always get nasty crackling noises from its macros that I’ve assigned to stuff like cutoff in AU synths. Do you sample your synths or use midi?

• @CracklePot said:
    Damn, this thread scares me! :#
    Bye-bye.
    B)

Must know why!

• Nice sounding track! I don’t hear much no nonsense techno being made with iOS for some reason. Gives me hope. I’ve tried with BM3 before but I always get nasty crackling noises from its macros that I’ve assigned to stuff like cutoff in AU synths. Do you sample your synths or use midi?

Thanks!

That could be your buffer settings, I haven't had any issues, I tend to use rozetta stuff like bassline a lot to send to AU synths and then the x0x sequencer towards BM3 banks for drums. No problems so far but I'm running a pro from last year. I have an ipad 1 and only use it one synth at a time.

the synth in that private track was a direct recording of an elektron digitone, did layer some effects over it (I used filterstation to control tone a little and then the bm3 compressor to control dynamics)

• Wow. What great sounds. And what a dream studio.

Honestly, I think it would be pretty hard to recreate this workflow on the iPad. As suggested above, it's possible to recreate lots of the sounds. But, like he said in the video, a huge part of the workflow is having access to all of the knobs at once. Yeah, most of the patterns were preset but what we heard was him playing the sounds. Maybe using a MIDI control surface app or AudioBus Remote on your second iPad would help. That way you can sort of cram lots of controls on the screen.

• Ive seen a few of these ATMs and they're really inspiring. Snoman's Dance Music Manual says techno is all about layerin.
    What my ears tell me is there are a couple of delays of different timebase and pitch shifting and filtering going on while keeping the feedback under control. Sounds great. I recon with AUM, Rozetta and the AudioDamage fxes this is possible, I havent got there yet though.

• edited June 2018

You can approach the workflow with 2 iPads, but it will never sound remotely comparable.
    Never, ever ;)
    The dude as a very well choosen collection of gear, multifx with Ensoniq DP4 and an Eventide unit, additional reverb by a small Lexicon LXP-1 (the identical shaped 5 is multifx, which wouldn't make sense).

None if these units has a counterpart in IOS, as there's no IOS Space Echo either (on which he heavily relies).
    It's a very 'musical' delay unit, Roland did a great job on just setting the head distance/pattern right. Or in other words: you don't want endless possibilities by tweaking, but the right ones by a quick dial.

The analog drummachines are beyond any question and individual instruments are transformed/processed via single outs. Imagine that routing live switched on a tablet...
    He uses the Akai S612 not only for simplicity, but also for it's special sound color.
    His audio palette is much wider than a single digital system can provide.

• @c_crs said:

Nice 👍

• but you did notice that the first minutes he does not very much more but turning up the volume on prepared track elements...
    No doubt the outcome is okay and nice sounding... but it is mostly a playback session with a lot of cool equipment..
    The drums are nice but hey stacking up all these cool machines that is the minimum I would expect..
    So basicly if you would want to make a sound that would be like that this would be possible on one or two ipads.. It takes preparation and you will stack piles of different elements into AUM for example or BM3 and AUM and a littel Audiobus and then you would slowly add the things up....
    The greatest problem would be crackles if you switch apps... But you would get somewhere there.. It is not the equipment, it is your creativity and maybe some routine.
    have fun! that is what counts.