Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Is BeatHawk “Mello” the best AUv3 capable Mellotron for iOS?

Before this sale ends in a couple days, I’m trying to decide if it’s worth it for me to get the “Mello” IAP. I’ve been using the Korg Module “tape machine” stuff, but honestly I really can’t use Korg apps in my workflow. Seems like it’s all out Gadget or don’t use them to me. Having it in BeatHawk will really help as it’s AUv3 and my workflow is almost exclusively AUM based. I’ve never had problems squeezing Galileo as IAA in a setup, but Korg Module is frustrating me and I only use it for Mellotron kind of stuff.

Comments

• I just got it and really like it. I usually like M3000 but there’s no ADSR control; having those options AND using it as an AUV3 in GarageBand is extremely nice.

• It may be the only AU mellotron. I checked Super Manetron, but just IAA and Audiobus. I don’t know of any others that might be AU.

• edited June 2018

Bs-16i and a suitable mello sf2 file perhaps- there’s lots of them out there on the net.

For example. https://musical-artifacts.com/artifacts/500

• @BiancaNeve You always have the rare, unique app suggestions. So awesome. B)

• Nice find! Thanks @BiancaNeve :smile: that works a treat!

• Thanks for all the input everyone. I’m investigating this Soundfont 2 thing. From the sound of it, I’m worried it’s going to sound like my very first keyboard module. I jumped into playing keyboard from drums with a MIDI controller and a reasonable quality GM module designed for computer in 2001. I think I’ll just get the BeatHawk “Mello” and do some more research and testing on SF2 on Windows\Linux as it seems there is some free software available. At least the BeatHawk demo and the Doug Woods demo sound good to me. The BeatHawk demo I just wait for some Peter Gabriel to bust out some “wtf did he just say” kind of lyrics.

• the UVI sample set is just that... it's NOT a Mellotron (like the virtual instruments by Omenie and GForce etc) ;)

• @Telefunky said:
    the UVI sample set is just that... it's NOT a Mellotron (like the virtual instruments by Omenie and GForce etc) ;)

But the Mellotron IS just a sample set, set into a big tape playing machine

• I know this is a bit techical, but I've never laid eyes on a Mellotron, so I found this video fascinating:

And this is what's involved in changing the tapes.

It shows you how awesome our current tools are. Most Mellotron owners didn't own all the tapes as they cost many hundreds of dollars. Changing them was a big deal with such a delicate machine.

We can get all the Mellotron sounds available for a few bucks and change them instantly.

• @BiancaNeve said:

@Telefunky said:
    the UVI sample set is just that... it's NOT a Mellotron (like the virtual instruments by Omenie and GForce etc) ;)

But the Mellotron IS just a sample set, set into a big tape playing machine

the tape recordings are one-shot 'samples' and stop after the recording length
    (a minor concern in most cases for it's 11 seconds iirc)
    as the video shows tapes don't replay identical with each keypress
    (which applies to some degree to the M3000, at least my check with a 3 note midi sequence recorded 3 times didn't yield 3 identical takes)
    the tapes are likely copyrighted, so I wouldn't expect the same content in a sample set, unless it's licenced.

• @Telefunky said:

thats is correct and also for me personally mello is one of the worst IAP.

• @Reid said:

We can get all the Mellotron sounds available for a few bucks and change them instantly.

Even with crashing issues that can happen on iPad, etc. it’s still more reliable than a real Mellotron in my mind. I’ve never played a real one, though. I think I’m just going to get the BeatHawk stuff. I’m sure it’s good enough, and I want to take Module out permanently. Seemed like there was a decent list of samples on thsoundtestroom video.

• I’ve never used Beathawk, but bought this iap. Shouldn’t this be mellotron samples, not cellos, electric guitars and such?

• edited June 2018

@bounce said:
    I’ve never used Beathawk, but bought this iap. Shouldn’t this be mellotron samples, not cellos, electric guitars and such?!

I may be wrong, but I thought they were samples of Mellotron tapes. Or, are you saying they’re samples of cellos, etc, that are made to sound like a Mellotron?

• Aha I got it. I thought Mellotron tapes were limited to piano stuff. Learned something