Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Novation refurbished gear: a cautionary tale

I found out that Focusrite / Novation offers refurbished units. I’ve had good luck with Apple refurbs in the past, and don’t mind possible "cosmetic imperfections", so I ordered a Launchpad Mini Mk2. (I already own a Keystation 49 Mk2 and am generally happy with it.)

The unit arrived within two days, and I happily unboxed it to find they had not included the USB cable (micro to usbA). Ok, no biggie, I hunted around and found one. Then I noticed that the top row of buttons was sitting flush with the top of the case, and not projecting a bit like all the rest. I gave the case a gentle squeeze there and the top clicked into place. Great, after presumably working on it they hadn’t closed it properly! I then flipped it over and noticed none of the five screw holes had screws in them!

I decided to proceed and plugged into my iPad Pro, booted up the LaunchPad app, and nothing. No matter what I did, changing cables, etc. the unit was dead. Looks like someone at the refurb place just picked off their desk and tossed it in a box. So a major fail here. I'm amazed that someone was that careless. They didn’t notice that the case was not shut, or that the screws had not been put back, and they obviously never actually tested the unit. @#$%&;!

So I contact Novation and they issued apologies and please send it back to them in England. (Apparently their refurbs are done in the States.) I say sure but the shipping should not be at my expense. Oh yes sorry we’ll send you a UPS code. Fine. I pack it up, take it to the downtown UPS office and send it off. It arrives in England two days later. They then say they’ll send me a brand new unit for my troubles. Fine. I ask if they can send it via post instead of UPS, since couriers tend to just leave packages on steps/porches and then can get stolen. Sure they say, then tell me they are sending via FedEx. Grrr…

Of course it takes four days to ship and gets sent to the U.S. first (I’m in Canada) and then FedEx calls me saying I owe money for customs, etc. I email Novation yet again and they say oops sorry that should’ve been covered by us we’ll contact FedEx.

I finally got the darn thing, and thankfully it works. Happy happy. But after six emails and the trip downtown I can’t say I’m that thrilled with their service. They meant well, but kept dropping the ball on each email.

Would I buy another refurb from them, just to save a few dollars? No. But they did sort things out and I like their products and will simply buy new next time.

Comments

• I actually thought it would end much worse. A true tale of woe would involve a jerk and this sounded jerk free. Yah I always avoid refurbs/used unless it is a local store and local warranty service. Shipping alone is too many middle people for me.

• I’ve heard nothing but good things about Novation customer service at least. I think all my Novation stuff was open-box not refurbished. It’s built really well for the price. I have at least 5 products unless I’m forgetting something. Sounds like people that worked on yours were no good if they can’t put screws back.

• edited June 2018

Except for the initial balls-up with the refurbed unit, I think that’s pretty good service.

• You got a brand new unit and didn't have to pay shipping to send the faulty one back, and they apologized multiple times and covered your customs, and you're upset?

• @Tarekith said:
    You got a brand new unit and didn't have to pay shipping to send the faulty one back, and they apologized multiple times and covered your customs, and you're upset?

They "apologized multiple times" because I had to keep emailing them about some detail they forgot. I'm not outrageously upset, just kind of annoyed that the process involved more steps than needed. They made things right in the end, so that's why I said I'm happy to buy from them again. (Just not a refurb.)

Oh, and I did tell them I was fine with receiving another refurb as replacement if they could guarantee it would be functional. But I think the problem is that someone else does this work for them so they said they'd ship a new one. (And no, I don't think a customer should have to pay anything to return a defective product. Especially in this case, when it supposedly had been "refurbished", meaning gone over a second time from new.)

• I’m surprised they covered the expense of international postage and customs of a brand new unit as replacement for a refurb unit.

Sounds like amazing customer service.

• I’d call that a result; a bit of a bumpy ride, but a good end to the journey! :)

• It’s not that big of a thing. Novation did everything expected to fix the problem. Their service recovery was fairly spot on minus a few hiccups. It’s not ideal and I get your post to a degree but I’d just drop it. I’ve had far worse experiences with other companies and refurbished gear.

• I've always been pleased with my interactions with Novation. I consider them an ACE company.

• I have to say, I wish all after sales were as good as Novation. I had an out of warranty sound card, which they replaced and posted free of charge! Jobecky (edrums) are equally as good.