Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New iOS MIDI Sequencer App: ArpBud

Hi everyone,

I'm the developer of this new app, ArpBud, a new and easy to use MIDI Sequencer app focused on creating arpeggios and sequences. Feedbacks and feature requests are highly appreciated :)

http://keybudapp.com/arpbud
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/arpbud-midi-sequencer-more/id1349342326?ls=1&mt=8

• Create sequences with interval and pitch sequencers.
  • Drive interval sequencer by applying a pitch on the pitch sequencer.
  • Every pitch sequencer step has its own interval sequencer, so you are free to work on either single sequence or multiple ones.
  • You can add as many steps as you want to both sequencers.
  • Send MIDI CC commands for each interval sequencer step, like pitch bend, modulation and portamento (more would come if you want).
  • Set rate and loop count for each pitch sequencer step.
  • For iPad and iPhone, supports both orientations as well as split-view.
  • Configurable layout.
  • MIDI Export.
  • Audiobus MIDI, Ableton Link, IAA, IDAM, CoreMIDI.

Also, there are some open-source goodies as well, like in the ChordBud

MusicTheory: https://github.com/cemolcay/MusicTheory
MIDIEventKit: https://github.com/cemolcay/MIDIEventKit
LiveKnob: https://github.com/cemolcay/LiveKnob
AUSequencer: https://github.com/cemolcay/AUSequencer

Hope you like it,
Thanks!

Comments

• Congrats on the release, @cem_olcay :smile:

• Good luck with your app! Also, thanks for open sourcing some components, the knob looks yummy! :)

• Must refrain from immature thoughts and postings....Must refrain from immature thoughts and postings....Must refrain from immature thoughts and postings....
    Damn Can't do it....

@rrc2soft said:
    the knob looks yummy! :)

Did you really say that out loud :lol: :lol:

• Looks interesting.....with lots screaming for AU based sequencers, any particular reason you didn't make it an AU ?
    Seems to me like the Pitch and Interval sequencers would make great AU components.

• Intriguing and very cheap. Looking forward to playing with it.

• AU is a big turn on for this forum. That's the format I like..

• Thanks guys!

@AndyPlankton said:
    Looks interesting.....with lots screaming for AU based sequencers, any particular reason you didn't make it an AU ?
    Seems to me like the Pitch and Interval sequencers would make great AU components.

AUv3 is hard to learn and develop at this point for me. Needs a serious time investment for learning. Obviously, it's the direction where iOS Audio community headed now and I want to give it a try as well. I'm more into MIDI stuff rather than DSP stuff, 'cuz you know, there are lots of great synth apps out there! But I think there is always room for interesting MIDI controller apps to make it easier or more fun to use these synth apps. At this point, I can guarantee you, if I have enough responses for an ArpBud AUv3 MIDI, I'll start to make it. It's up to you guys, I'll continue to do what I do, as long as you guys like them and want more :smiley:

• @cem_olcay said:
    Thanks guys!

@AndyPlankton said:
    Looks interesting.....with lots screaming for AU based sequencers, any particular reason you didn't make it an AU ?

AUv3 is hard to learn and develop at this point for me. Needs a serious time investment for learning. Obviously, it's the direction where iOS Audio community headed now and I want to give it a try as well. I'm more into MIDI stuff rather than DSP stuff, 'cuz you know, there are lots of great synth apps out there! But I think there is always room for interesting MIDI controller apps to make it easier or more fun to use these synth apps. At this point, I can guarantee you, if I have enough responses for an ArpBud AUv3 MIDI, I'll start to make it. It's up to you guys, I'll continue to do what I do, as long as you guys like them and want more :smiley:

Good stuff...this is very encouraging to hear. I think there is lots of room currently for great MIDI AUv3's whether that be sequencers, controllers or MIDI FX.....
    I'm sure that other devs on here would give you pointers and guidance on AUv3 should you need it.

Nice to have you on board :) and good luck with the app. Have bought and will play later !

• Congrats 11
    Best luck

• @AndyPlankton said:

@rrc2soft said:

Damn English being my second language :D . Now I will go and hide in shame :p

• @rrc2soft said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@rrc2soft said:

Damn English being my second language :D . Now I will go and hide in shame :p

hehehe Sorry, I couldn't resist :D

• ALBALB
    edited June 2018

@cem_olcay - Yes, I would definitely spring for a separate AU version of this, especially given the fact that this version is currently $1.99 USD (almost nothing).

• @AndyPlankton said:

@cem_olcay said:
    Thanks guys!

@AndyPlankton said:

Good stuff...this is very encouraging to hear. I think there is lots of room currently for great MIDI AUv3's whether that be sequencers, controllers or MIDI FX.....
    I'm sure that other devs on here would give you pointers and guidance on AUv3 should you need it.

Nice to have you on board :) and good luck with the app. Have bought and will play later !

Thanks for the support! Luckily, I'm a member of the AudioKit community, where we have lots of rockstar audio engineers, some of them even have more than 20 years of experience :) I hope AudioKit will help us to make AUv3 development easier. Apple let our expectations down last week in WWDC, they didn't introduce anything useful about iOS audio/auv3 programming.

• @cem_olcay congratulations and loving the graphic nod to the 808!

• Congrats on the release! I don't really understand it from the description but I'm going to buy it anyway.

• edited June 2018

@AndyPlankton said:
    Must refrain from immature thoughts and postings....Must refrain from immature thoughts and postings....Must refrain from immature thoughts and postings....
    Damn Can't do it....

@rrc2soft said:

;)

• @cem_olcay said:
    Hi everyone,

I'm the developer of this new app, ArpBud, a new and easy to use MIDI Sequencer app focused on creating arpeggios and sequences. Feedbacks and feature requests are highly appreciated :)

Welcome to the fray! As I mentioned to you in my email last night, I find it very straightforward, and I look forward to you finding/fixing whatever “midi export” does. 😁. Btw, I checked to see if the exported midi went to the iTunes file sharing for ArpBud, and there doesn’t seem to be one. Best of luck on all you do!

I add the AUV3 preference to others who have already commented.

• @cem_olcay
    Midi export seems like it is working. But then the app goes to the background, and you can’t find the exported file. My guess is there is a share screen that is supposed to open so you can send the Export somewhere, but there is a bug preventing that share screen from showing up.
    The app doesn’t crash when exporting, but it does go to the background and the home screen appears. You can still bring the app back to foreground and the project is still intact.

• @cem_olcay said:
    Hi everyone,

http://keybudapp.com/arpbud
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/arpbud-midi-sequencer-more/id1349342326?ls=1&mt=8

• Create sequences with interval and pitch sequencers.
    • Drive interval sequencer by applying a pitch on the pitch sequencer.
    • Every pitch sequencer step has its own interval sequencer, so you are free to work on either single sequence or multiple ones.
    • You can add as many steps as you want to both sequencers.
    • Send MIDI CC commands for each interval sequencer step, like pitch bend, modulation and portamento (more would come if you want).
    • Set rate and loop count for each pitch sequencer step.
    • For iPad and iPhone, supports both orientations as well as split-view.
    • Configurable layout.
    • MIDI Export.
    • Audiobus MIDI, Ableton Link, IAA, IDAM, CoreMIDI.

Also, there are some open-source goodies as well, like in the ChordBud

MusicTheory: https://github.com/cemolcay/MusicTheory
    MIDIEventKit: https://github.com/cemolcay/MIDIEventKit
    LiveKnob: https://github.com/cemolcay/LiveKnob
    AUSequencer: https://github.com/cemolcay/AUSequencer

Hope you like it,
    Thanks!

Congrats and bought it~

First try on phone while on lunch ..

GREAT JOB!

Intuitive and simple

This with Reactable's STEPS is a great pair of IAA and AU SEQUENCERS for all apps on the fly.

Great job.

• @RUST( i )K thanks! It looks a bit better on iPhone rather than iPad, because of the 808ish vibe :smile:
    @CracklePot it's strange.. I actually present a regular share UI that you can send the exported MIDI file to other apps ,or email, or even airdrop etc. And it's working perfectly well on my iPad and iPhone. Both development version and production (AppStore) versions. I honestly couldn't reproduced this issue for debugging and there are no useful information in crashlytics as well. It's quite possible, like you said, it's not crashes the app but puts it to the background. I'll investigate this more with other people's devices around me..

• I should have mentioned I am on an Air2 and 11.3.

I tried a few different things, but still getting the same behavior as described before.
    I tried reinstalling. I tried in AUM originally, so I tried in Audiobus3 (non beta), as well as stand alone (not hosted).

Let me know if you would like me to test any other scenarios.

• edited June 2018

@cem_olcay said:
    @RUST( i )K thanks! It looks a bit better on iPhone rather than iPad, because of the 808ish vibe :smile:
    @CracklePot it's strange.. I actually present a regular share UI that you can send the exported MIDI file to other apps ,or email, or even airdrop etc. And it's working perfectly well on my iPad and iPhone. Both development version and production (AppStore) versions. I honestly couldn't reproduced this issue for debugging and there are no useful information in crashlytics as well. It's quite possible, like you said, it's not crashes the app but puts it to the background. I'll investigate this more with other people's devices around me..

Same thing happens on my Air 1 iOS 11.4. I get an exporting and a success pop up then the app drops to bkg.

• I find this app interesting indeed. But for now I am just looking for an au midi sequencer I can use inside AUM. Hope you do well with this app :)

• It's more interesting than I thought. Just played with it for 5 minutes in Audiobus3 w/ Midiflow Adapter into DRC. Each step can be subdivided.

• @ALB said:
    It's more interesting than I thought. Just played with it for 5 minutes in Audiobus3 w/ Midiflow Adapter into DRC. Each step can be subdivided.

It is deceptively deep. I am pleasantly surprised.

• @cem_olcay FWIW, I'm on a 2016 9.7 iPad Pro and my midi export experience is exactly the same as what @CracklePot described earlier.

You've created a fast fun app. I'd like to export what I create in it for use elsewhere. Hope you can solve this issue. Happy to help in any way. Thank you for creating ArpBud.

• @cem_olcay said:
    @RUST( i )K thanks! It looks a bit better on iPhone rather than iPad, because of the 808ish vibe :smile:

This is what I see on the 12.9 iPad Pro at iOS 11.3.1:

1. Set up a sequence and make sure it’s saved. Reopen it and check.
    2. Open settings (gear) and click on midi export.
    3. I see the success box with a check mark.
    4. About a second later ArpBud “goes to the background”.
    5. When I click it to bring it forward, the current sequence disappears and the app shows the opening splash screen.
    6. I never see any kind of file management or “open in” etc.

I’ll take these steps and report back:
    1. Delete ArpBud.
    2. Completely reboot the iPad.
    3. Re-install ArpBud and try again.

• @motmeister said:

@cem_olcay said:

This is what I see on the 12.9 iPad Pro at iOS 11.3.1:

1. Set up a sequence and make sure it’s saved. Reopen it and check.
    2. Open settings (gear) and click on midi export.
    3. I see the success box with a check mark.
    4. About a second later ArpBud “goes to the background”.
    5. When I click it to bring it forward, the current sequence disappears and the app shows the opening splash screen.
    6. I never see any kind of file management or “open in” etc.

I’ll take these steps and report back:
    1. Delete ArpBud.
    2. Completely reboot the iPad.
    3. Re-install ArpBud and try again.

The same results after reinstall...

• Forgot to mention I'm running iOS 11.2.2 Also tried the uninstall-reboot-reinstall method but no dice. App not exporting & still going to BG.

• @LSV said:
    Forgot to mention I'm running iOS 11.2.2 Also tried the uninstall-reboot-reinstall method but no dice. App not exporting & still going to BG.

I even did something I’m usually reluctant to do. I installed 11.4 and still get the same results.

I’m curious about something... is there supposed to be some kind of save as dialog when you make changes to a project? The first time I chose new project and made changes I simply went back to the main screen. When I selected the projects button there were no projects saved.