Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Synchronizing GarageBand with Audiobus

I have successfully used GarageBand's "Send Midi Clock" function to drive Korg Gadget and Caustic playback in perfect sync. Somehow I can't sync playback of GarageBand with Audiobus playback. I've tried using MidiBus and MIDI Link Sync apps but no luck. Has anyone been able to successfully do this?

Comments

• I can get the clock to sync, but no transport control functions work. I have to start stuff manually.

Make sure you are in Midi>Link mode. Select Midi Link Sync In as the midi source. Be careful about adding apps after you have GB selected as Midi Clock source (by selecting MidiLinkSync In). When I do that the link gets broken and I have to select the clock source again in MidiLinkSync.

• Thanks. I really need to link up the transport or at least Play function. It seems strange to me that Audiobus hasn't implemented this as it is clearly possible and done in Korg Gadget and Caustic...

• I think that GarageBand may not respond to transport commands. AB can control transport of hosted apps, but you can’t host GB in AB. GB is kinda hard to use with external apps, but does well if it is hosting them.

There are some GB experts on this forum. Hope they chip in at some point.

• I just tried this on my iPhone 6s ios10.2 : open Audiobus, open GarageBand in output a lot of AB. (Send midi out is on in gb). Hit play on the Audiobus transport sidebar - GarageBand starts ...

• @Halftone said:
    I just tried this on my iPhone 6s ios10.2 : open Audiobus, open GarageBand in output a lot of AB. (Send midi out is on in gb). Hit play on the Audiobus transport sidebar - GarageBand starts ...

Hey, that’s cool. I thought AB only controlled things in the input slot. Good to know. B)

• edited June 2018

@CracklePot said:

@Halftone said:
    I just tried this on my iPhone 6s ios10.2 : open Audiobus, open GarageBand in output a lot of AB. (Send midi out is on in gb). Hit play on the Audiobus transport sidebar - GarageBand starts ...

Hey, that’s cool. I thought AB only controlled things in the input slot. Good to know. B)

That way start will be synced but you still need Midi Link for proper and accurate tempo/beat Sync. When GB start though AB, it will send again clock to Link, all Linked apps will be synced with GB. Note that Midi Link can need latency adjustment though its slider for perfect timing.

• @Halftone said:

It's strange: when I hit play on the Audiobus transport sidebar, GarageBand playback starts, but the Audiobus playback does not start. So they are still not synced for me. What am I missing?

• @Anchoy said:

@Halftone said:

It's strange: when I hit play on the Audiobus transport sidebar, GarageBand playback starts, but the Audiobus playback does not start. So they are still not synced for me. What am I missing?

Not sure... sorry.

• @Anchoy said:

@Halftone said:

You may need to update your OS. I have it working on iPad Air2 11.3. Midi link sync working too. Maybe @Michael can advise?

• @Anchoy, are you using the beta? If so, there's a bug in the current version which I've since fixed that prevents it from sending transport to GB. Fix with the next update will be available in a couple days, once I've done some other stuff.

If you're using the public version, let me know, as this should work (and does for me).

• @Michael said:
    @Anchoy, are you using the beta? If so, there's a bug in the current version which I've since fixed that prevents it from sending transport to GB. Fix with the next update will be available in a couple days, once I've done some other stuff.

If you're using the public version, let me know, as this should work (and does for me).

Michael, yes I'm using the beta version. I guess if I delete it and reinstall the non-beta, public version, transport to GB should work. Is that correct?

• @Anchoy said:

@Michael said:
    @Anchoy, are you using the beta? If so, there's a bug in the current version which I've since fixed that prevents it from sending transport to GB. Fix with the next update will be available in a couple days, once I've done some other stuff.

Michael, yes I'm using the beta version. I guess if I delete it and reinstall the non-beta, public version, transport to GB should work. Is that correct?

Yep! That'll work