Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Alternative to iConnectAudio4+ ?

2»

Comments

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    is it just that with IDAM, all you need is a USB hub?

IDAM provides 1 X stereo in + bi-directional MIDI to your Mac. I'm not sure how we could compare that limited functionality to what the iCA4+ offers. Also, when IDAM is active you may or may not be able to charge your iOS device if you're using a USB hub.

• I love my Ica4+, although I had some issues with it at the beginning (firmware upgrade and driver related)... now it’s working perfectly fine with a flexibility no other audio interface can provide (2 iPads, 1 iPad with pc, 1 Pc one Mac, everything goes) it’s pretty stable now, although the software could be better. I hope they will develop a new version, but if you are into a hybrid workflow, there’s nothing else on the market. I didn’t try to connect a usb-c gen IPad yet but it should work with a standard powered hub( although I’d prefer a simple custom cable solution).
    Conclusion : it does its job and there’s no real competitor for what it does, so if you want to work with more than one device and different OS’s at the same time...

• @Vaultnaemsae said:

@ExAsperis99 said:
    is it just that with IDAM, all you need is a USB hub?

IDAM provides 1 X stereo in + bi-directional MIDI to your Mac. I'm not sure how we could compare that limited functionality to what the iCA4+ offers. Also, when IDAM is active you may or may not be able to charge your iOS device if you're using a USB hub.

I'm sure you're right, but the iCA4+ seems to be the only interface with two USB connections (apart from the mythical Novation hub); that's what makes it unique, right?

• A shame they’re discontinuing it. I love mine. I use it as a straight audio interface for mac and iPad simultaneously, and sometimes to route audio between the two. And for MIDI.

It’s also amazing to be able to rewire my setup using the Mac app. The other day I used it to hook up a guitar pedal as a send effect in Ableton, and to use ThumbJam as an instrument for Ableton.

Oh, and yesterday I sampled Logic’s p-bass into Ableton.

I wonder what the replacement will bring?

• @mistercharlie I agree, there's very little else I would want from a replacement. Maybe another pair of inputs, or the ability to fully disable MIDI inputs so my AUM MIDI matrix is less cluttered.

• The main thing I'd like is for both the usb ports to be around the front like in the PlayAudio12, much easier to swap around devices then. I'd also wish for another usb port too, so more than 2 simultaneous devices would be great.

• I'd pay top dollar for an iconnectaudio8+

I love this thing. anyone trying to use hardware in tandem with ableton and aum, this thing does it. Aside from the headache of trying to traverse the insane software, it does work very well.

I'd love an eight channel version.

• 8 audio in + ADAT + 2 USB = $599 = SOLD

• Owners here: anyone interested in a Mozaic preset for manipulating the iCA4+? I have a very barebones one for muting/unmuting an input that I could extend

• @NoiseFloored said:
    Owners here: anyone interested in a Mozaic preset for manipulating the iCA4+? I have a very barebones one for muting/unmuting an input that I could extend

Yes please.

• @auxmux said:

@NoiseFloored said:
    Owners here: anyone interested in a Mozaic preset for manipulating the iCA4+? I have a very barebones one for muting/unmuting an input that I could extend

Yes please.

👍 I'll give it shot this Friday

• I love my iconnectaudio4+! I’m not sure what I’ll do when/if it ever kicks the bucket.

• @ExAsperis99 said:
    I'm sure you're right, but the iCA4+ seems to be the only interface with two USB connections (apart from the mythical Novation hub); that's what makes it unique, right?

Yeah, that plus the ability to route multichannel audio between the two USB hosts.
    And the USB host function, plus its MIDI-routing matrix. It's an audio swiss army knife of sorts.

I've often wanted to throw it off a building but my gripes with it now have transformed to a simple acceptance of its limitations. I know how to get it to recover quickly when it goes balls up...which happens more often than with any other interface I've ever used.

If it were updated with more analog I/O channels, more virtual channels and a proper desktop editor I'd buy one in a heartbeart -- despite iConnectivity's shitty customer service.

• I’d definitely like one with more audio Jacks, and more midi ports. Currently I have an iConnectMidi goofed up to it, plugged into its USB host port. Yes, you can daisy Jaime these things together!

A question for other owners: does yours get warm even when switched off?

• Another great prospect of my ICM4+ is to be able to change configurations on the fly, even with PC-only settings-Apps (KMix, Quneo, nanokontrol. No need to unplug from ios and replug to PC for change of setup. Saves a lot of hassle. I sincerely hope, ICA/ICM will reappear in the future, with the whole Audio-pass-through glory...

• edited May 2020

@auxmux and anyone who's interested: here's a first version for controlling the volume of the analog inputs with Mozaic:
    https://patchstorage.com/iconnectaudio4-analog-inputs-volume-control/

Let me know if this is useful at all and what else you like to see. My current plan is to create a set of functions for manipulating all volume controls and mutes.

Edit: I'm adding a link to the source code repository

• @NoiseFloored : yes please! It seems like I may have just snagged one of the last of these available in store in the UK, and I’m keen to make it the hub of my set up. Having hands on control from the iPad would be totally ace! :)

• @NoiseFloored said:
    @auxmux and anyone who's interested: here's a first version for controlling the volume of the analog inputs with Mozaic:

Let me know if this is useful at all and what else you like to see. My current plan is to create a set of functions for manipulating all volume controls and mutes.

Thanks!! I’ll try it to this weekend! 😍

• @Svetlovska @Synthi I added mute control for the analog inputs now. I'm also updating the source code in tandem if you find that's easier. My plan is to figure out how to control volume and mutes for the submixes and outputs next. I'm not planning on adding support for phantom power, hi-z, stereo links or the MIDI and audio routing/filtering.

• @NoiseFloored said:

Thank you for this! I have a question: how/where did you find out what sysex messages to use ? I can't find anything about that in the iCA4+ manual (nor on the iCA website)...

• edited May 2020
  • edited December 2023

@echoopera said:

@Satie said:
    My new iCA4+ arrived. Out of the box I only got one USB port working on an iPad (+Midi and Audio in/out). The second USB port works neither on IOS nor with Win7.
    Try to update the firmware but the iCA4+ is not recognized on the computer - on both USB
    I also tested iConfig and Auracle (software from iconnectity). The software installations seem to be fine.
    Any suggestions before I send the device back?

Sounds like the same sort of issues i had. However mine kept dropping the audio and Midi signals...so i shipped it back for a refund.

I about pulled out my hair with the darn thing. I think their QA process is not the best when testing these units.

I've been considering getting an iConnectivity Audio4c to replace my Arturia Minifuse 4, and Focusrite Vocaster 2, is it realistic to expect that to work as a replacement for both? Or do I need to be considering it as an addition to my setup? I use the Vocaster for live-streaming specifically, for a very specific task within that — guided meditations and spoken word poetry events, with background ambience coming in from my iPhone or iPad in the background.

My overall setup includes: MacBook Pro (Intel 2021), iPad Air 4, iPhone SE2020, Roland SP-404 MkII, Electron Digitone (on loan from a friend, so a temporary resident in my setup), sE Dynacaster mic for voice, and shortly to be added, an Antelope Audio Edge Note instrument mic (for picking up audio from singing bowl, tingsha, rainstick etc. for recording and live-streaming). When making and recording music, I have my gear connected to studio monitors, or headphones, so those are in the mix too, connection-wise.

I'd love to know what you're rolling with these days @echoopera dear friend?

Also, if anyone else has input on this question?

I might post a new thread on this, as it isn't a general question about the iConnectivity Audio4c, but let's see who and what shows up on this thread for now.

Thanks for any light anyone can shed on this for me.