Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

GDPR emails

I just had an email from Audiobus about GDPR at 8.09am GMT. Too late! Illegal approach! The rules are already in force!

(I subscribed anyway...) :wink:

Everyone else had tens of increasingly panicked-sounding GDPR emails in the last few days? At least Michael’s sounded chill!

Comments

• @Michael_R_Grant said:
    I just had an email from Audiobus about GDPR at 8.09am GMT. Too late! Illegal approach! The rules are already in force!

Everyone else had tens of increasingly panicked-sounding GDPR emails in the last few days? At least Michael’s sounded chill!

Oh yes, lol. I’m not even sure what it’s about (in a nutshell).

• @jwmmakerofmusic said:

@Michael_R_Grant said:

Oh yes, lol. I’m not even sure what it’s about (in a nutshell).

It’s basically to stop companies using your data in ways you didn’t explicitly consent to, so tens of thousands of companies have been emailing the people they used to spam every week to try to persuade them to opt into their newsletters etc.

As one website put it:

‘Current data protection laws are soft on consent. When signing up for something, organisations will often include an option that says ‘contact me about future offers’, which might be pre-ticked, buried in the small print or written in confusing double or triple negatives. It’s therefore easy to give your consent without meaning to or even knowing that you’ve done so.

The GDPR addresses this, mandating that consent must be given using “clear, affirmative action”. Requests must also:

Be separate from other terms and conditions;
    Allow individuals to consent to some, all or no options;
    State which third parties will be relying on consent;
    Be documented, so that the organisation has a record of who consented to what;
    Give individuals the option to withdraw their consent at any time; and
    Not take advantage of an imbalance in the relationship between the individual and the organisation (such as an employee and employer or a tenant and a housing association).
    These requirements mean that unwanted emails from legitimate organisations should disappear altogether. Individuals need to take deliberate steps to agree to receive emails, and if they change their mind, they can unsubscribe. The GDPR states that it should be as easy to withdraw consent as it is to give it, which will usually mean little more than checking/unchecking a box and clicking a button.

Organisations might criticise the toughness of these requirements, but it’s really a win-win situation. Unwanted emails almost always go into users’ trash folders unopened, only serving to waste the organisation’s time and make potential customers resent them for sending apparently unsolicited messages. Under the GDPR, organisations will have a leaner, more concentrated pool of email recipients who are genuinely interested in their products and services.’

• The intent of the new rules are good (as so often is the case, e.g. also with the cookie consent nonsense), but the result is a mindnumbing barrage of privacy spam. I commend Michael for diving into this matter and following the rules - but as far as suspicious organizations go, his would be at the deepest bottom of the list anyway ;)

• edited May 2018

With the amount of crap I receive in my inbox on the daily due to those sneaky methods of subscribing me, this is excellent news! I mean, some of these companies don’t have simple unsubscribe methods, a couple of them even going so far as to have you call a phone number. Hopefully this means a far cleaner inbox.

• I'm even leery to hit unsubscribe on some of them.

• I'm getting at least ten per day from websites I didn't subscribe to in the first place, cheeky buggers.

@funjunkie27 said:
    I'm even leery to hit unsubscribe on some of them.

Don't if it looks dodgy, that's how a lot of them confirm it's a valid address to spam.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Don't if it looks dodgy, that's how a lot of them confirm it's a valid address to spam.

Trouble is, its the dodgy ones that I usually want to unsubscribe, but yeah, I figured that was happening.

• edited May 2018

Deleted (we don’t do politics here ;))

• Most of them are membership contract, so you can't negotiate them (let's say Google, Facebook...), then you barely can't do anything but say "yes".

To be fair, there are some (or a lot) options you can manage (spending a considerable amount of time and browsing through their sites).

• edited May 2018

:lol: Bwahahahahaha! Welp, there it is...the GDPR in a nutshell. You just can’t get any more direct than that. :blush:

• "Happy GDPR Day" was my favorite so far of the bunch i got in the last days.
    I mean it´s not a bad thing maybe....but for some it is and makes things more complicated.
    I personally don´t care much :)

• I've been getting a lot of them, and I'm not even European. :smile:

• Hey this GDPR, it's emptied my inbox, best spam filter I ever seen :D

• Yeah, I have been ignoring all of them in the hopes that it is an automatic way of being removed from all the mailing lists I didn't want to be on in the first place.