Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Quantum questions

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• I’m not saying rtfm and hopefully @midiSequencer will swing buy to explain it in all it’s glory but here’s the manual http://www.amssoftware.org/manual/QuantumManual.pdf

Superb app.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • It has these song mode options which might answer part of your question. I haven’t really explored them too much so thanks for the nudge.

• edited April 2018

@Dawdles said:
    Thnx for link :) I'll take a look.

Basically I just need to know if it has global sequences (containing multiple tracks) that you can switch between. So you can switch from sequence 1 to sequence 6 for example.... And ideally save these sequences as a project.

Or whether it's only one sequence to work with and not possible to switch global sequence across multiple tracks simultaneously. I can't find a definite yes/no in any videos I've watched...

Not fully sure what you're asking, but from my noodling today it appears you can have 6 sequences, each of which can be split into 4 parts that overlap or not, up to 64 steps. These 4 parts can also be played simultaneously.

Each of the 6 sequences can also have up to 20 versions that can be saved and recalled very easily.

I believe it's more of a live play sequencer but Tony @midisequencer is likely to explain better. :)

2 x 20 minute app videos that may be helpful. Not sure if these are the ones you referred to....

• @Dawdles said:
    Thanks for the replies. It looks amazing, going to grab it either way.

@SpookyZoo That 'Each of the 6 sequences can also have up to 20 versions that can be saved and recalled very easily' sounds promising re the pattern switch functionality I'm hoping it has for saving/switching global patterns during live jams.

Please get confirmation on this from Tony. @midisequencer.

I only noodled with Quantum again today, so this may be incorrect.

• edited April 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited April 2018

patterns, in the sense of clips you can load into different sequences is available in a few ways(even during play - use cycle button to delay this until the current sequence loops):
    1) you can save a sequence to a file & reload it
    2) versions can be saved & loaded - this feature is due an expansion at some point to allow drag n drop/arrangement
    3) select steps to copy & paste them to another/same sequence - copies all step parameters.
    4) actions - each sequence can have actions (e.g. load another sequence version) play out on looping

My normal performance method is to create 'similar' melodies in a sequence - save them as versions, then load them back during play. With up to 6 sequences (24 if each of those 6 are split into parts) you can use versions to load in simultaneously.

So you could create complete songs using versions & songs but I prefer composing through variation on a sequence - as seen on most of my video sessions.

• @midiSequencer said:
    patterns, in the sense of clips you can load into different sequences is available in a few ways(even during play - use cycle button to delay this until the current sequence loops):
    1) you can save a sequence to a file & reload it
    2) versions can be saved & loaded - this feature is due an expansion at some point to allow drag n drop/arrangement
    3) select steps to copy & paste them to another/same sequence - copies all step parameters.
    4) actions - each sequence can have actions (e.g. load another sequence version) play out on looping

My normal performance method is to create 'similar' melodies in a sequence - save them as versions, then load them back during play. With up to 6 sequences (24 if each of those 6 are split into parts) you can use versions to load in simultaneously.

So you could create complete songs using versions & songs but I prefer composing through variation on a sequence - as seen on most of my video sessions.

Cheers Tony. Rewatched the vids and had great fun tweaking Quantum with Zeeon tonight.

Super app!

• edited April 2018

I passed on getting Quantum since I already have midiSequencer - is there a reason I need both?

• @Dawdles said:
    Thanks Tony, that all sounds great. Yeah I'm looking for similar improv functionality like you mention with your own compositions, but with scope for switching between a few defined song sections within those jams, being able to improv within each section. Sounds like it's all possible :)

Excited to go through the manual and make sense of it all. Very impressed from initial try-out. Feels like this will be really fun for external hardware as well as internal ios sequencing. Thanks!

I built midiSequencer & Quantum to replace my hardware sequencers - I wanted something to display enharmonic notes & provide instant music scales more than anythin. You basically can't go wrong with anything melodic in scale once you through echo/delay in there.

• @baldguru said:
    I passed on getting Quantum since I already have midiSequencer - is there a reason I need both?

Think of Quantum as 2 years of extra development on midiSequencer. MidiSequencer is only 1 sequence - Quantum up to 24 (basically 6 midiSequencers together but these can be split into sub parts). Lots of additional extras too.

• @baldguru said:

If you even remotely like midiSequencer, you will LOVE Quantum!

In short: Get it!!!

• @tja said:

@baldguru said:

Couldn’t agree more! I’m still kinda working out how to use it, but having a lot of fun in doing so.

On that front, I have a question:

Other than shelling out for AUM or something like that, is there any way for me to set up 6 different sequencers, and be able to specify a different Audio Unit to play each one through Audiobus? Navichords has separate voices you can choose, but Quantum doesn’t seem to have anything like that.

• Quantum is a Desert Isle app, absolutely brilliant music creation tool, but more, an instrument. If I were allowed only 3 apps on my iPad, they would be Quantum, Model D & Model 15.

• @Longskatedeath said:

@tja said:

@baldguru said:

Couldn’t agree more! I’m still kinda working out how to use it, but having a lot of fun in doing so.

Other than shelling out for AUM or something like that, is there any way for me to set up 6 different sequencers, and be able to specify a different Audio Unit to play each one through Audiobus? Navichords has separate voices you can choose, but Quantum doesn’t seem to have anything like that.

Think you'll need something like the MIDIFlow Channel Remapper because AB3 doesn't have a MIDI channel filter on each MIDI lane (like AUM does) and Quantum's AB3 MIDI implementation doesn't allow for separate port-per-sequencer.

Set each sequence in Quantum to a different MIDI channel. Insert Quantum as the AB MIDI input on however many labes you want. Insert the "MIDIFlow Channels" on each of the AB MIDI lanes you created as an effect after Quantum. Set/filter it to the correct channel and point it at any AUs on the AB Audio page.

• @Dawdles said:
    Really stoked on this purchase. I've been increasingly interested in Teenage Engineering's looming OP-Z but I think Quantum has possibly got me covered for the kind of portable sequencer functionality I was looking for. So much depth in Quantum, going to take me a while to figure it all out but having fun already.
    Thanks @midiSequencer

It is entirely possible that you'll never figure it all out. But that's oddly part of the joy.

• @syrupcore said:

@Longskatedeath said:

@tja said:

@baldguru said:

Think you'll need something like the MIDIFlow Channel Remapper because AB3 doesn't have a MIDI channel filter on each MIDI lane (like AUM does) and Quantum's AB3 MIDI implementation doesn't allow for separate port-per-sequencer.

Set each sequence in Quantum to a different MIDI channel. Insert Quantum as the AB MIDI input on however many labes you want. Insert the "MIDIFlow Channels" on each of the AB MIDI lanes you created as an effect after Quantum. Set/filter it to the correct channel and point it at any AUs on the AB Audio page.

@syrupcore, my friend, you have officially made my weekend!!

• @midiSequencer said:

@baldguru said:

Think of Quantum as 2 years of extra development on midiSequencer. MidiSequencer is only 1 sequence - Quantum up to 24 (basically 6 midiSequencers together but these can be split into sub parts). Lots of additional extras too.

Ah, big difference! Wish I’d purchased it back before retiring on social security when $10 was a no-brainer, sigh...

• @syrupcore said:
    It is entirely possible that you'll never figure it all out. But that's oddly part of the joy.

Even I haven't used it all - just keep adding stuff. Want to explore triggers & time warp navigator some more.....

• when is the update coming?

• I’m also looking forward to the update! I’ve been through multiple stages of learning about Quantum, and every time I discover something, it impresses me further. I’ve been on a kick recently of trying to understand sending and receiving midi CC messages between apps like Quantum and many different synths. I saw that Quantum had CC capabilities but I wasn’t sure how complicated it would be to get them working. It wasn’t hard at all. The setup was fairly intuitive, and you can set up multiple CCs to work simultaneously in the same sequence. It LOOKS like it sends one CC message per Step for each CC “lane”, so there’s no CC “glide” capability from one step to the next, as far as I can tell (it IS a step sequencer after all). I haven’t tried using them yet, but it also looks like you might be able to send bank/program change messages in a step, if you’re a Frankenstein-lab kinda person like I occasionally am. I’m starting to include Quantum in more of my creations as I learn more about it.

• Looking forward to the update too :)
    Any closer to releasing the new skin @midiSequencer ?

• @motmeister said:
    I’m also looking forward to the update! I’ve been through multiple stages of learning about Quantum, and every time I discover something, it impresses me further. I’ve been on a kick recently of trying to understand sending and receiving midi CC messages between apps like Quantum and many different synths. I saw that Quantum had CC capabilities but I wasn’t sure how complicated it would be to get them working. It wasn’t hard at all. The setup was fairly intuitive, and you can set up multiple CCs to work simultaneously in the same sequence. It LOOKS like it sends one CC message per Step for each CC “lane”, so there’s no CC “glide” capability from one step to the next, as far as I can tell (it IS a step sequencer after all). I haven’t tried using them yet, but it also looks like you might be able to send bank/program change messages in a step, if you’re a Frankenstein-lab kinda person like I occasionally am. I’m starting to include Quantum in more of my creations as I learn more about it.

Yes on the bank/program changes. Besides the practical uses you can get really cool effects with this. Actually, I never really use it send program changes for 'normal' patch recall.

I don't think there's step interpolation for 'smooth' CC changes yet but since you can run the sequence at crazy fast speeds you should be able to get pretty much any resolution you need.

• @midiSequencer said:
    Even I haven't used it all - just keep adding stuff. Want to explore triggers & time warp navigator some more.....

WTF are these? Are they mentioned in the manual? I looked but didn't see anything....

• edited May 2018

@Carnbot said:
    Looking forward to the update too :)
    Any closer to releasing the new skin @midiSequencer ?

yes - finishing it off now, just some final tweaks to make & some bug fixes. Also want to add in ties.

Here is an example

• edited May 2018

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@midiSequencer said:

WTF are these? Are they mentioned in the manual? I looked but didn't see anything....

triggers are Elektron conditional triggers - e.g. allowing you to play/mute steps or chords on numbered loops.

time warp navigator is the clock icon on the sequence. It enables dynamic (i.e. instant) recalculation of sequence length with the purpose of altering the tempo to match other sequences. This is for polyrhythms as the steps are adjusted to play faster on sequences with longer lengths & slower on sequences with short lengths - with the purpose they all loop at the same time.
    The term comes from David Vorhaus & his MANIAC sequencer where he could switch sequence lengths but keep overall tempo. Not tried it for awhile - I think it still works...