Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Any1 still use Flux fx?

2»

Comments

• Took it for a spin the other night. Flux's still got it :)
    Seemed to work pretty well still.

I really wish (amongst other things) it at least had midi program change for presets so then you could do a kind of lo-fi state save etc.

• edited June 2019

@Carnbot said:
    Took it for a spin the other night. Flux's still got it :)

I really wish (amongst other things) it at least had midi program change for presets so then you could do a kind of lo-fi state save etc.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but you can change presets via MIDI.

This is really the app that made iOS exciting for me. It still works great, will crash if you upset it too much but overall stable enough. I don't know what I'm going to do when it's totally gone. I'd pay again just for an update.

• edited June 2019

@BroCoast said:

@Carnbot said:

This is really the app that made iOS exciting for me. It still works great, will crash if you upset it too much but overall stable enough. I don't know what I'm going to do when it's totally gone. I'd pay again just for an update.

Can you recall different presets with different midi PC messages?
    I don't think i ever tried it, or maybe I just forgot. Back when Flux came out Streambyter and mozaic didn't exist. But if it can accept midi PC then you could "send on load" a PC message to Flux to load the preset in a session.

although it has AB statesave as well which is something else I forgot :)

• @Carnbot said:

@BroCoast said:

@Carnbot said:

I don't think i ever tried it, or maybe I just forgot. Back when Flux came out Streambyter and mozaic didn't exist. But if it can accept midi PC then you could "send on load" a PC message to Flux to load the preset in a session.

It's all note values. No PC or CC#

It currently doesn't work in AB3, but maybe AB2. I can't remember.

• @BroCoast said:

@Carnbot said:

@BroCoast said:

@Carnbot said:

It's all note values. No PC or CC#

It currently doesn't work in AB3, but maybe AB2. I can't remember.

ok thanks, I'll have a play with it. :)

• After a few days and several attempts, gmail (US) was unable to send email to [email protected]. Oh, well.

• @mojozart said:
    After a few days and several attempts, gmail (US) was unable to send email to [email protected]. Oh, well.

Send an email to Adrian Belew, I think he is behind Flux: FX

• @Carnbot said:

What device an OS? I can’t get past the launch screen on my iPad Pro 10.5 running 12.3.1

• @johnfromberkeley said:

@Carnbot said:

What device an OS? I can’t get past the launch screen on my iPad Pro 10.5 running 12.3.1

Update: it took well over a minute to launch, but finally got to the actual control screen! I had given up for some time. Going to dive in.

• Thanks for reminding me. Gonna give it a play tonight. Love it.

• https://adrianbelew.net/contact-belew/ cover photo shows Flux in action.

• Yes,i still use it and love it!

• edited June 2019

MIDI ports don’t seem to work and the visualization screen 100% of the time freezes the app.

• @Carnbot said:

What was your setup? I can get “Flux:Play” to work, but not “flux:fx”

@Carnbot said:

I have 12.9 pro 2017 with ipad 12.3.1

• @Verchrona said:
    Hey,

I can't get it to open in audiobus, I'm on 11.3. It won't save it's state, even if it's technically open in the background. Has anyone had success with this app? It has cool capabilities.

Thanks

Works fine

iPhone Xs

• @Vaultnaemsae said:
    MIDI ports don’t seem to work and the visualization screen 100% of the time freezes the app.

I don't know what you're doing wrong but I've been using it with MIDI on a daily basis.

• @BroCoast said:

@Vaultnaemsae said:

I don't know what you're doing wrong but I've been using it with MIDI on a daily basis.

I don’t think I’m doing anything wrong but would be happy for somebody to point out the problem if I am.

• In hosted or standalone modes the app won’t let me choose a MIDI input...it just grabs and displays whatever. But then receives MIDI from all devices — intermittently;
    • MIDI Monitor seems to only work intermittently;
    • It’s not properly assignable as a source/effect/destination in AB3 (and the IAA switch fails in AB3 as it won’t load properly). Maybe it works in AB2?

It works as expected as an effect in AUM and receives tempo info which is good. MIDI...see above.

Seems like another abandoned app that showed great potential.

• edited June 2019

@Vaultnaemsae said:

@BroCoast said:

@Vaultnaemsae said:

I don’t think I’m doing anything wrong but would be happy for somebody to point out the problem if I am.

• In hosted or standalone modes the app won’t let me choose a MIDI input...it just grabs and displays whatever. But then receives MIDI from all devices — intermittently;
    • MIDI Monitor seems to only work intermittently;
    • It’s not properly assignable as a source/effect/destination in AB3 (and the IAA switch fails in AB3 as it won’t load properly). Maybe it works in AB2?

It works as expected as an effect in AUM and receives tempo info which is good. MIDI...see above.

Seems like another abandoned app that showed great potential.

It's very crude MIDI. Basically just listens for clock and then MIDI messages on the channel you specify. It doesn't send clock like they mention in the manual but I know it was meant to.

Even though abandoned and a few bugs it's still a very solid app overall. I've been using it for years now because it was way ahead of it's time and even now is still way ahead of most apps on iOS.

I'm happy to share some of my presets and any info you need to make it work for you.

Here is all the MIDI control info:

Effect1 = C2
    Effect2 = C#2
    Effect3 = D2
    Effect4 = D#2
    Effect5 = E2

Main X/Y pad – The X and Y axis can be mapped to separate MIDI continuous controllers. This also lets you play it with something like the XY from a Korg NanoPad or Keith McMillen SoftStep.
    TouchDown = C#-1 [This is for the main XY controller to indicate a ‘touch’ as a note]
    TouchUp = D-1 [This is for the main XY controller to indicate the end of a ‘touch’ as a note]
    MainXControlNumber = CC1 [This is for the main XY controller to indicate the ‘X’ location]
    MainYControlNumber = CC2 [This is for the main XY controller to indicate the ‘Y’ location]
    TouchUpDownControlNumber = CC16 [This is for the main XY controller to indicate a ‘touch’ as a control number]

Input/Output/Mix level – The master levels can be controlled. Ideal for mapping to a volume pedal or slider.
    InputLevelControlNumber = CC3 [This is for the ‘master input’ level]
    OutputControlNumber = CC7 [This is for the ‘master output’ level]
    FXBlendControlNumber = CC4 [This is for the ‘master FX’ blend]

Tempo – FLUX:FX can receive and send MIDI clock messages, allowing you to sync the tempo to another MIDI source such as an external tap tempo, a drum machine or beat app, or a laptop running Ableton, Logic or your favourite DAW.
    TempoTap = A2 [This sets the tempo after 5 taps]

Sequencer Play/Stop/Record – mappable to allow control and triggering of the sequencer.
    SequencerTransport [Start/stop] = G2 [This toggles between ‘play’ & ‘pause’ on the sequencer]
    SequencerRecNoteNumber = G#2 [This switches on or off the ‘record’ function of the sequencer]
    SmoothingControlNumber = CC5 [This adjusts the ‘step smoothing’ control for the sequencer]

Performances – you can switch performances 1-6 inside the currently selected bank.
    Performance1 = C1 [This selects performance 1 from the current bank etc]
    Performance2 = C#1
    Performance3 = D1
    Performance4 = D#1
    Performance5 = E1
    Performance6 = F1

It's a good idea to designate MIDI channel 1 to flux as it occasionally defaults to that even though most of the time it will keep your setting.

• @BroCoast , thanks for the good info :smile:

• @Carnbot said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

@Carnbot said:

Can you post a screenshot of your AUM or Audiobus setup?

@Carnbot said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

@Carnbot said:

I just have Flux in an AUM fx slot, any setup should allow it.
    How is it not working for you?
    I usually have a high buffer of 1024, have you tried that?

• edited June 2019

@johnfromberkeley said:

@Carnbot said:

@johnfromberkeley said:

@Carnbot said:

It only works standalone or in AUM.

Even before it got updated for 64 bit it didn't work properly in AB.

• I shot off an email outlining some of the problems to the developer on Monday last but didn't receive any response. Can anybody confirm if it works in AB2?

Is it a Flux:Fx issue or an AB3 issue?

• @Vaultnaemsae said:
    I shot off an email outlining some of the problems to the developer on Monday last but didn't receive any response. Can anybody confirm if it works in AB2?

Is it a Flux:Fx issue or an AB3 issue?

Does not work in either. Not sure where the issue lies but ever since 64 bit it hasn't worked in AB.

• The old LiveFX coming from the same developing team under Elephant Candy still works fine in standalone but proper misbehaving in Audiobus. It has been confirmed abandoned for a long while and is one of the reasons why I didn’t bite on Flux. Based on this I don’t think it will get anymore updates but who knows.

• @supadom said:
    The old LiveFX coming from the same developing team under Elephant Candy still works fine in standalone but proper misbehaving in Audiobus. It has been confirmed abandoned for a long while and is one of the reasons why I didn’t bite on Flux. Based on this I don’t think it will get anymore updates but who knows.

Shame since the old one was a winner for that era... worth the save it inside old device status (like Ns1) just for the korg kaoss quad with hold and motion fx...

Sad...