Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Model D ARP driven totally by Quantum

So being a beta tester for Moog made me realise Model D is as good as Model 15, just in a different way - but three moog oscillators (4 if you count filter) are the source of much joy ......

And so to test that I've been expanding Quantum (now I've finished the custom scales) realtime controls (adding midi channel & 4 pages of 8 controls & ability to name the controls).

This video is a noodling session of me not really touching the Model D much (other than a bit of fade in/out of the in-app fx).

I did this video because sequencing & using the ARP at the same time gave interesting results I'd not tried on the model 15.

Comments

• edited March 2018

You are playing a kind of 3D chess. This is truly remarkable. But I must confess that your app intimidates me! I wish i could see examples of how to incorporate Quantum into various workflows.

And yes, Model D sounds excellent.

Looking forward to this update.

• edited March 2018

@ExAsperis99 said:
    You are playing a kind of 3D chess. This is truly remarkable. But I must confess that your app intimidates me! I wish i could see examples of how to incorporate Quantum into various workflows.

for this type of sequencing its about experimentation - which sometimes doesn't work, but can deliver sweet spots (so you bring down the filter to make the moog quieter & more controlled - to less control where you open up the filter & let it shout).

Quantum here is in its most basic mode - one sequence , although several versions were created, which I transpose or play in skip mode (e.g. play step, skip a step etc). The complexity comes about because there are multiple delays - model D - ARP acts as one, Fx delay as another, Kosmonaut yet another. Choose a sequence to conform to a music scale (e.g. G Maj here although Q now allows custom scales) and most of the melodic stuff is done for you - you just need to find what works.

• edited March 2018

Nice thank´s....and beeing a huge fan of modular i must say that Model D has a lot more meat and i like it much more than Model 15 (which is great too).
    I´m still overwhelmed a bit with quantum and should learn it better.
    I should try to play with it and Model D as well and then go mad with it and P900 (which i´ve done already but i had some trouble.....not app related....just user fat finger fault).
    Wasn´t there talk about a macOS version? Maybe my mind plays a game......just saying. I would buy that in a heartbeat as Logic MIDI FX.

• edited March 2018

@midiSequencer I can listen to this stuff all day. You have to have a proper album of stuff like this out there somewhere, don’t you? I’ve grown a bit tired of the same Manuel Gottsching over and over through the years and this scratches that itch.

• @oat_phipps said:
    @midiSequencer I can listen to this stuff all day.

Same here. Good stuff Tony. New CC UI looking good too. I don't really use the current one but that's inviting.

• @Cib said:
    Nice thank´s....and beeing a huge fan of modular i must say that Model D has a lot more meat and i like it much more than Model 15 (which is great too).

Be sure to start small. Think this video is a great example of how much music you can get out of an 8 step sequence + the rest of qauntum's goodies.

• Hello, happy to hear about the custom scales and bravo for your video (reminds me Klaus Schulz, I saw on stage years ago with Go). Your app is great! It even brought back my old Sonic Cell to a new life.

• Good stuff sir!

@oat_phipps said:
    @midiSequencer I can listen to this stuff all day. You have to have a proper album of stuff like this out there somewhere, don’t you? I’ve grown a bit tired of the same Manuel Gottsching over and over through the years and this scratches that itch.

Dunno if you’ve checked this out already but Tony usually throws his Quantum/ MidiSequencer experiments up on Soundcloud.

https://soundcloud.com/manowargoblin

• @midiSequencer Sounds fantastic, Tony!

• @Cib said:
    I should try to play with it and Model D as well and then go mad with it and P900 (which i´ve done already but i had some trouble.....not app related....just user fat finger fault).
    Wasn´t there talk about a macOS version? Maybe my mind plays a game......just saying. I would buy that in a heartbeat as Logic MIDI FX.

yes - the Mac version will be next after the UI update (which I've now started). It won't be the same as the IOS version (no Audiobus for example and not sure about Ableton Link), but will look the same.

• edited March 2018

@oat_phipps said:

my inspiration is UK band Redshift - I'm slowly starting to emulate some of those great Moog modular sequences Mark Shreeve does :)

• edited March 2018

@syrupcore said:

@oat_phipps said:
    @midiSequencer I can listen to this stuff all day.

Same here. Good stuff Tony. New CC UI looking good too. I don't really use the current one but that's inviting.

:) Its not the new UI - but all new screens are flatter in design now. The biggest change on the UI is the main page - so fonts & button styles - black & grey with minimal colouring - based on your design!

• @Kitusai said:
    Hello, happy to hear about the custom scales and bravo for your video (reminds me Klaus Schulz, I saw on stage years ago with Go). Your app is great! It even brought back my old Sonic Cell to a new life.

glad you liked. I love mostly the older Klaus works, mine points more to TD's Virgin years - sadly both Klaus & TD never returned to it.

• @midiSequencer said:

@Cib said:

yes - the Mac version will be next after the UI update (which I've now started). It won't be the same as the IOS version (no Audiobus for example and not sure about Ableton Link), but will look the same.

<3 IF it´s a Logic MIDI FX i don´t need link or Audiobus of course. I just want to load it in the midi FX channel. It´s so easy and fast to use on any instrument i can load in Logic. I also can easy record the midi notes then etc etc.
    It would be insta buy and i will go mad with my modular synths with it then.
    Please try to avoid it only via IAC bus. MIDI FX in Logic are super great and you can so easy combine that with other midi FX as well.
    If you ever need a beta tester for it on the latest OS and Logic version.....let me know :)
    Good luck. In the meantime i should dive deeper into the iOS version which is also hard to use since i struggle a bit with my fingers on the small screen.

• @Cib said:

@midiSequencer said:

@Cib said:

<3 IF it´s a Logic MIDI FX i don´t need link or Audiobus of course. I just want to load it in the midi FX channel. It´s so easy and fast to use on any instrument i can load in Logic. I also can easy record the midi notes then etc etc.
    Please try to avoid it only via IAC bus. MIDI FX in Logic are super great and you can so easy combine that with other midi FX as well.
    If you ever need a beta tester for it on the latest OS and Logic version.....let me know :)
    Good luck. In the meantime i should dive deeper into the iOS version which is also hard to use since i struggle a bit with my fingers on the small screen.

Will keep this in mind - I don't use Logic myself - preferring Live. Will include you in the beta testing for sure!

• Great video.
    Quantum is so promising, and the best sequencer I found on ios yet. It's similar to numerology on mac.
    And it's crazy deep, I really would appreciate more tutorial videos! Especially for all the functions you can do per step, the midi fx and sequencing of midi CC's.

• Nice video. Looking forward to the new UI - that’s when I plan on jumping back into the app.

• @JoHe said:
    Great video.
    Quantum is so promising, and the best sequencer I found on ios yet. It's similar to numerology on mac.
    And it's crazy deep, I really would appreciate more tutorial videos! Especially for all the functions you can do per step, the midi fx and sequencing of midi CC's.

yes - will be continuing the tutorials.

• @handed said:
    Nice video. Looking forward to the new UI - that’s when I plan on jumping back into the app.

working on it now :)

• Great news :)

• Really nice :)
    Any idea on the timeframe for the new Quantum UI?

• @Carnbot said:
    Really nice :)
    Any idea on the timeframe for the new Quantum UI?

couple of weeks should see it done & released

• Yes!
    Good stuff, brother.

• @midiSequencer said:

@oat_phipps said:

my inspiration is UK band Redshift - I'm slowly starting to emulate some of those great Moog modular sequences Mark Shreeve does :)

Thanks, I’ve just now enjoyed their first two albums for the first time, the second especially.

• So awesome! Just listening while on Stressmill :D

@midiSequencer said:

@ExAsperis99 said:

for this type of sequencing its about experimentation - which sometimes doesn't work, but can deliver sweet spots (so you bring down the filter to make the moog quieter & more controlled - to less control where you open up the filter & let it shout).

Quantum here is in its most basic mode - one sequence , although several versions were created, which I transpose or play in skip mode (e.g. play step, skip a step etc). The complexity comes about because there are multiple delays - model D - ARP acts as one, Fx delay as another, Kosmonaut yet another. Choose a sequence to conform to a music scale (e.g. G Maj here although Q now allows custom scales) and most of the melodic stuff is done for you - you just need to find what works.

• @oat_phipps said:

Thanks, I’ve just now enjoyed their first two albums for the first time, the second especially.

fautline & oblivion are my favourites - but be sure to check out ARC too (where Ian Boddy partners Mark Shreeve).

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    So awesome! Just listening while on Stressmill :D

glad you liked - its more music ideas - so it would ideally fit into a section with dark ambient strings/noises. One day I will actually add these to make a track - I have everything I need just not the time atm.

• edited March 2018

@Cib said:

@midiSequencer said:

@Cib said:

Isn't that Logic Midi FX the same as what was introduced in Cubasis 2.4 (iOS)?

Great video...

• @RajahP said:

@Cib said:

@midiSequencer said:

@Cib said:

Great video...

Could be! Every DAW should have a channel strip for MIDI FX :)
    I own Cubasis....but can‘t ckeck since i‘m iPhone only since a while.

• @Cib said:

@RajahP said:

@Cib said:

@midiSequencer said:

@Cib said:

Great video...

Could be! Every DAW should have a channel strip for MIDI FX :)
    I own Cubasis....but can‘t ckeck since i‘m iPhone only since a while.

I believe it is also.. pretty nice.. Can only imagine opening up ‘two’ Quantum instances in a Cubasis project... and capturing the midi as one noodle... madness..