Tardigrain a very Special Granular Synthesizer for iOS │ haQ attaQ 273

Erik Sigth's Tardigrain for iPad and iPhone is not just another Granular synthesizer. Nope, In my opinion Tardigrain is a very special granular synthesizer and I love the way that it transforms something so tiny as grains into big and drone-like soundscapes. Now there's a smoothness to the sound of Tardigrain that I haven't heard in other Granular synth apps. I needed to find out why and so I dialed up the developer (Erik) and asked him about it. And so I can happily announce that This video includes segments from that interview. Hear what Erik aka @humbletune had to say about his inspiration behind Tardigrain and how he managed to make it sound so good. Check it out!

haQattaQ

Comments

  • 15 Comments sorted by Date Votes
  • Can this instrument be tuned, or is it stuck in 12et?

  • Or perhaps it can be used to process alternatively-tuned inputs in effects mode?

  • As always, nicely done good sir!

  • @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr I don’t think it does. I tried putting it in Audiobus midi out slot and put ThumbJam into midi effects slot. I loaded up a Wilsonic scale and it seemed to just duplicate regular notes instead of playing the scale. I used the midiflow keyboard for this test.
    I tried thumbjam in the midi input slot, and the same thing happened with Tardigrain duplicating notes instead of playing the finely parsed scale from Wilsonic.
    My guess is that it has no pitchbend.

  • @CracklePot said:
    @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr I don’t think it does. I tried putting it in Audiobus midi out slot and put ThumbJam into midi effects slot. I loaded up a Wilsonic scale and it seemed to just duplicate regular notes instead of playing the scale. I used the midiflow keyboard for this test.
    I tried thumbjam in the midi input slot, and the same thing happened with Tardigrain duplicating notes instead of playing the finely parsed scale from Wilsonic.
    My guess is that it has no pitchbend.

    That's too bad. It would have been a good contender for a drone synth if it were tunable. I'm going to stick with Borderlands for now.

  • edited March 3 Vote Up0

    kudos, your video sold it, @jakoB_haQ. your style is becoming almost too good. ;)

  • edited March 3 Vote Up0

    That was very nicely done @jakoB_haQ ! The bit of interview worked in is a great touch.

    One function that I haven’t figured out is the loop point set button next to the trash can. I can’t get it to really change or set anything. How is that supposed to work?

    Also, it’s curious how when you hit a key the start place and grain spread is different, ie. If you just keep hitting the same key in the same spot with no x/y effects/control added, you get a different response every time. That’s cool, it it’s also a bit baffling as to what’s actually going on. Any clarity to offer on that?

    Thank you for this :)

  • @skiphunt said:
    That was very nicely done @jakoB_haQ ! The bit of interview worked in is a great touch.

    One function that I haven’t figured out is the loop point set button next to the trash can. I can’t get it to really change or set anything. How is that supposed to work?

    Also, it’s curious how when you hit a key the start place and grain spread is different, ie. If you just keep hitting the same key in the same spot with no x/y effects/control added, you get a different response every time. That’s cool, it it’s also a bit baffling as to what’s actually going on. Any clarity to offer on that?

    Thank you for this :)

    My understanding so far is:
    When you hit a key, it selects 2 random grains. The grain size is determined by the min/max multipliers and if you set them the same the grains will be all be that size. The direction control determines which direction the grain selecter will move when the current grain is finished playing. How far it can move is determined by the shift length. You can make grains repeat up to 16 times before moving on by using the play count setting.
    Still trying to fully grok root window size and relative mode. Any thoughts on those?

  • Great intro video!! Is it possible to play this with an MPE controller. Seems ideally suited for it!

  • @CracklePot said:

    @skiphunt said:
    That was very nicely done @jakoB_haQ ! The bit of interview worked in is a great touch.

    One function that I haven’t figured out is the loop point set button next to the trash can. I can’t get it to really change or set anything. How is that supposed to work?

    Also, it’s curious how when you hit a key the start place and grain spread is different, ie. If you just keep hitting the same key in the same spot with no x/y effects/control added, you get a different response every time. That’s cool, it it’s also a bit baffling as to what’s actually going on. Any clarity to offer on that?

    Thank you for this :)

    My understanding so far is:
    When you hit a key, it selects 2 random grains. The grain size is determined by the min/max multipliers and if you set them the same the grains will be all be that size. The direction control determines which direction the grain selecter will move when the current grain is finished playing. How far it can move is determined by the shift length. You can make grains repeat up to 16 times before moving on by using the play count setting.
    Still trying to fully grok root window size and relative mode. Any thoughts on those?

    No, I’ve about the same understanding... not sure why hitting the same key each time produces somewhat random results, even if you wait for the loop to play through and hit the same note in the same point of the loop, the results will vary almost every time. It’s cool, but just trying to understand what’s going on.

    Still baffled as to how the loop point button next to the trash can is used. I get the start/stop handle controls, but not the loop set button.

  • Thanks @jakoB_haQ
    Lovely video, and thanks especially for your focus on modulation and expressiveness of this synthesizer. @humbletune apps functionality tend to be quite deep, while their GUIs can be deceptively simple (elegant), so thanks for opening up some doors!

  • Great video, didn’t know about the negative modulation bars, that’s very helpful.

  • @gkillmaster said:
    Great intro video!! Is it possible to play this with an MPE controller. Seems ideally suited for it!

    Yes, you should check Doug’s video - thesoundtestroom

  • Excellent video, picked up a few tips. If I hadn’t bought it already this would have knocked me well and truly off the fence.

  • @kingvidorfan said:
    kudos, your video sold it, @jakoB_haQ. your style is becoming almost too good. ;)

    +1

Sign In or Register to comment.