Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AB Update with Link start stop

2»

Comments

• @supadom said:
    Out of curiosity, as far as you know is Link sync derivate from IAA sync or is it a beast of its own therefore tighter then the former?

They're very different beasts, actually

• @supadom said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@supadom said:
    Now, somebody tell me how to map audiobus' transport to a midi controller.

Workarounds welcome.

Here's a workaround:

https://www.amazon.com/WIFO-CORPORATION-WRG-400-RemoFinger-Controller/dp/B01EA4OK7K

Haha, yes, thanks. I’ll put it on my not to do list!

Dude, that thing is weird! :#

• @supadom said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@supadom said:

Workarounds welcome.

Here's a workaround:

https://www.amazon.com/WIFO-CORPORATION-WRG-400-RemoFinger-Controller/dp/B01EA4OK7K

Actually the RemoFinger works pretty well :)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @BiancaNeve said:

@supadom said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@supadom said:

Workarounds welcome.

Here's a workaround:

Actually the RemoFinger works pretty well :)

If you happen to be an owner of a time machine and accidentally end up trying to control your IPad synth remotely somewhere around 800AD.> @lukesleepwalker said:

@supadom said:

Workarounds welcome.

Here's a workaround:

My question was prompted by what you’ve said about another app being able to start AB3’s transport. I’ve tried that on the same device (just with Loopy admittedly) and was unsuccessful. Does this only work on two separate devices?

If I can get an app with midi learneable transport to start and stop AB3 then I won’t need the sucker toy. ;)

• @Max23 said:
    @Michael your newsletter is the only newsletter that is worth for subscription, all the others just send junk and ads. :)

Thanks for saying! :)

• @supadom said:
    My question was prompted by what you’ve said about another app being able to start AB3’s transport. I’ve tried that on the same device (just with Loopy admittedly) and was unsuccessful. Does this only work on two separate devices?

If I can get an app with midi learneable transport to start and stop AB3 then I won’t need the sucker toy. ;)

That won't work, unfortunately, for boring technical reasons. At least, not without Link Start Stop Sync; apps with it will of course be able to start and stop AB's transport. Samplebot is one of those apps, as will Loopy be shortly, though; both have MIDI mappable transport controls.

• @Michael said:

@supadom said:

That won't work, unfortunately, for boring technical reasons. At least, not without Link Start Stop Sync; apps with it will of course be able to start and stop AB's transport. Samplebot is one of those apps, as will Loopy be shortly, though; both have MIDI mappable transport controls.

Sweet. At this moment I feel this is the last piece of the puzzle i need in my looping life. Thanks. Will look out for that Loopy beta.

• Really awesome. This was the missing link

• is there a way to use this with external midi transport?

• edited February 2018

@supadom said:
    Sweet. At this moment I feel this is the last piece of the puzzle i need in my looping life. Thanks. Will look out for that Loopy beta.

I've been noodling on how this might actually tide me over to Loopy Pro arrives. Samplebot includes a MIDI binding for "Load Next Project in Folder". If I set up a bunch of tunes in SB at right tempo, etc, I can use SB as my setlist maker. By using SB's transport, I can also control when Loopy starts/stops. After I reset Loopy after each tune, I have my live loops ready to go and sync'd perfectly to SB's transport. I can literally go through a whole set using just my foot controller--without looking at my iOS device!

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@supadom said:

I've been noodling on how this might actually tide me over to Loopy Pro arrives. Samplebot includes a MIDI binding for "Load Next Project in Folder". If I set up a bunch of tunes in SB at right tempo, etc, I can use SB as my setlist maker. By using SB's transport, I can also control when Loopy starts/stops. After I reset Loopy after each tune, I have my live loops ready to go and sync'd perfectly to SB's transport. I can literally go through a whole set using just my foot controller--without looking at my iOS device!

Wow. I hope all those goodies eventually make it to Audiobus and Loopy. I don't think we will altogether get rid of the screen but this is definitely a move in the right direction. Nice one @Michael.

• I sort of get the idea. It’s Audiobus3 that’s doing the transport controls, right? I’m puzzled about something, though.

AUM, Fugue Machine and StepPolyArp all in AB input slots
    Two synths in AUM input slots.
    Press record in AUM and recording only begins
    Press play in the AB transport and Fugue Machine and StepPolyArp start playing.
    When I press AUM record again to stop recording, FM and SPA stop playing.

What I don’t understand is why pressing AUM record to START recording doesn’t also start FM and SPA playing, but pressing AUM record to stop DOES stop FM and SPA.

It doesn’t affect the workflow much, but it seems inconsistent.