Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ten Minute Challenge..

Just for a laugh, let's have a competition...

Only one rule...

You have ten minutes to make a song..

Here's my entry...

Comments

• Nice idea, though I fear with my attention span even 10 minutes could be pushing it !!
    I'll see what I can come up with.

• Ok , cool! look forward to it..

• edited November 2013

This is very challenging! Go to 6:45 to hear where I got started with the song :-)

My approach might be different than you wanted, but this is the only way I know how to make a song.

here is what I did ( with approx total clock time):

• 0:00 open loopy HD and press record, get some snaps and claps (iPad mic) going then open up Audiobus, Animoog and DM1 and set up the routing. The rest is noodling with adding tracks (DM1 drum pads looped into loopy. Animoog patches played live, then looped for the rest of the sounds).

• 11:00 minutes. stop record, upload to soundcloud (takes about twelve minues to render the mp3 in loopy on a iPad 2)

• 24:00 minutes. Song is uploaded on soundcloud. Check on it, get the link, back here

• 33:00 minutes. Posting on forum here :-)

So, no it's not a compete song, but it's a 10 minute effort since you asked, enjoy.

• edited November 2013

And this exercise affirms my admiration of people like @peanut_gallery and @galaxyexplorer who can put together such amazing tracks in an hour or two. You guys amaze me!

• Interesting idea but very easy to cheat,no?

• What did you use to make you song @JangoMango? I'll give it a go, if I get some time this week.

• Oh...and how do we vote? I've seen the "poll" option for some time but never saw it used.

• edited November 2013

What are you suggesting @crabman? :-) I just added more details to my post above.

To really be a contest, we would need to have some more rules. Can we load up our apps and Audiobus routing first? That would have saved me a bunch of time. And what about MIDI tracks? I could have built some better sounding drum sequences beforehand rather than just audio loops on the fly from the drum pads. I'll do another track if you make some more specific rules @jangomango

• I think have an idea in your head then start layering but would keep it "live". For instance, record a few different drum loops played via pads/sequenced to rotate through in the song. Then pick a few synths or specific sounds and play over top. Ten minutes is a tight timeframe but makes it challenging.

@Crabman - sure people could cheat but were going on trust here...plus what benefit would it be for someone to cheat, there are no prizes or anything

• edited November 2013

@jmsexton, thanks for that "have an idea in your head" advice, lol. I actually deliberately went with:

blank slate on iPad + blank slate on brain + a group of Animoog presets I knew sound OK together = see what happens.

Anyway yeah, your plan would make for a much better final product if you have it sorted all out ahead of time with some well-timed drum sequences.

And I have no idea how the OP got his track into a tidy little 2 minute thing with just ten minutes.

Lets hear yours JM ;-)

• Haha I will try as soon as I have time kids are keeping me busy right now

• Yeh, that was actually under ten minutes lol... The drums are just an old sample, chopped up occasionally, the three instruments are used separately with different rhythms, but at the start all layered together, so only four or five sounds used lol.

To be honest, didn't really think through the logistics of this challenge, so would be grateful if someone would do one properly lol

• Here's the... er, song I came up with while waiting on some laundry. I set a timer on my phone for ten minutes and started with a blank iPad. After loading Audiobus, Audioshare, Echo Pad, and DM-1, I had 9:20. I started a new project in DM-1 and just kind of had at it. I set a few patterns and laid them out in song mode and realized I had enough time to get a lead going so I loaded Animoog. Practiced for a hot second and then recorded with my final couple minutes.

That was fun! I was surprised at what I got done in ten minutes, if I had had presets setup for this, I bet I could have gotten something a lot better. But this challenge in of itself was a good time. Great idea @JangoMango!

• Given that I am more than somewhat in awe of everyone here, I am not expecting much, but ...

Got bored flying home Sunday evening, just had time for this before getting shut down by descent into Seatac. Live looped in nanoStudio, AudiBussed straight into AudioShare. Crap drums, iffy mute operation. But recording rather than engineering is new to me, and I have to get my feet wet sometime. And I kinda like it, may work bits into something more ambitious. Hope the link works.

• Guess no frame embed allowed. Try this link instead: