Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

StepPolyArp - Midi Arpeggiator by Laurent Colson

This app is just FANTASTIC. I just recently discovered it.

I am really amazed to what depth and functionality this app goes.

Perfect sync to external/internal gear, all is well laid out, each line can have it’s midi channel, it’s polyphonic, everything tweak able, etc...etc...

Nothing missing. A masterpiece.

Comments

• SPA definititely qualifies as a Mac classic, and a gem.

You might like reading some of these other posts.

• Agreed. So easy and so musical.

• It better be awesome at that price. ;)

• I have heard amazing reviews for all of this Devs apps so I bought them based on those reviews. I still have no idea how to start to use it. This is My big iOS music challenge for this year as I bought all the high end step sequencers for iOS. Any other noobs out there learning how to use these to make a pretty melodic pattern to use to make into a song? Am I alone in having no clue how to begin with these apps?

• Certified classic indeed.

• @ElektrikDiva said:
    I have heard amazing reviews for all of this Devs apps so I bought them based on those reviews. I still have no idea how to start to use it. This is My big iOS music challenge for this year as I bought all the high end step sequencers for iOS. Any other noobs out there learning how to use these to make a pretty melodic pattern to use to make into a song? Am I alone in having no clue how to begin with these apps?

Are you using it in Audiobus, AUM or something else? Setup is not hard - should be a tutorial video somewhere and the manual is pretty good. StepPolyArp excels at pretty melodic patterns!

• @ElektrikDiva said:
    I have heard amazing reviews for all of this Devs apps so I bought them based on those reviews. I still have no idea how to start to use it. This is My big iOS music challenge for this year as I bought all the high end step sequencers for iOS. Any other noobs out there learning how to use these to make a pretty melodic pattern to use to make into a song? Am I alone in having no clue how to begin with these apps?

I’ll bet there are youtube tutorial or demo videos for most of them that might help you, but really there is no substitute for time and experimentation when it comes to any kind of creative software. Try using StepPolyArp with the internal sounds and no other apps to begin with, since it has a built-in synth. It will be easier to get a handle on things if you keep it as simple as possible.

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    SPA definititely qualifies as a Mac classic, and a gem.

You might like reading some of these other posts.

Thanks for all the links @johnfromberkeley, didn’t realise there were so many.

@ElektrikDiva, there is a manual that you can download as PDF (and save in iBooks) that explains everything.

Follow the links that Johnfromberkley gave me, some good vids too.

• Thanks guys, all great help and super tips, I will do just that! Much appreciated and very helpful advice here. Cheers!

• @CracklePot said:
    It better be awesome at that price. ;)

The Arturia Keystep has a decent arpeggiator. Has about a 20th of the arpeggiation features of StepPolyArp at 8X the asking price. It does come with a keyboard and a mini seqeuncer.

Arpie looks pretty sweet too. https://www.tindie.com/products/hotchk155/arpie-midi-arpeggiator-kit/ Also not as feature rich as SPA but it's only about 6X the price and looks incredibly fun to play. You do have to build it yourself.

I reckon all three a pretty good deals, considering what you actually get for your dough.

• @ElektrikDiva said:

Think the best general advice I could give with all of the crazy powerful step sequencers and arpeggiators on iOS is to start with short patterns. SPA offers 32 steps but you can make a 'regular' arpeggio out of a single step. Set the pattern length to 2 or 4, send it something simple and experiment with the controls. You'll know when to expand it. Same thing for Quantum or midiSteps or... There's just so much you can do with a single 'step' in these beasts that I reckon it's all overwhelming when you have 16 or 32 to contend with at first.

Come to think of it, if i have 16 steps going in either Quantum or SPA, I'm generally intentionally doing something 'weird' with lots of probability stuff.

• OK Syrup, thanks that sound like very sensible advice so I shall give that a whirl first, ta!

• @syrupcore said:

@ElektrikDiva said:

Think the best general advice I could give with all of the crazy powerful step sequencers and arpeggiators on iOS is to start with short patterns. SPA offers 32 steps but you can make a 'regular' arpeggio out of a single step. Set the pattern length to 2 or 4, send it something simple and experiment with the controls. You'll know when to expand it. Same thing for Quantum or midiSteps or... There's just so much you can do with a single 'step' in these beasts that I reckon it's all overwhelming when you have 16 or 32 to contend with at first.

Come to think of it, if i have 16 steps going in either Quantum or SPA, I'm generally intentionally doing something 'weird' with lots of probability stuff.

I wish you'd sent me this note a long time ago Professor :)

• Ok.. seems to have latency issues with Bluetooth Midi (transmitting)... Did some tests and I am pretty sure the problem is with SPA.. as other apps do transmit perfectly on the same setup..