Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BlueTooth Headphones and lag (delay) with touchscreen input

I got myself a pair of JBL T450BT Bluetooth headphones and I experience an annoying lag/ delay while playing with knob, slider and onscreen keyboard. Do I something wrong. Is there a solution for this input/ lag? Or has this to do with iOS 11 or should I buy a more expensive Bluetooth headphone that has better bluetooth build in. Any suggestions are welcome.

Comments

• I think it just comes with the territory. Bluetooth has some latency.

• Yes, you need to buy a bluetooth wire in order to get rid of that delay.

• @mrufino1 said:
    Yes, you need to buy a bluetooth wire in order to get rid of that delay.

Which kinda defies the point ;)

• Yeah, to me, Bluetooth audio is fine for listening to music, but it can't be a one-size-fits-all audio solution until the latency is further reduced. I did some light research and it looks like the best-case scenario is latency in the 30-40 millisecond range. That's consistent with my expectations - perception of latency varies from person to person, and depends on what you are doing, but most people can perceive latency in excess of 20-30 milliseconds.

In music-making, where a HUGE chunk of the experience is the dynamic touch and response you get from asking for a note and hearing it in return, even a subtle amount of latency can really trash the experience.

• Okay, thanks for all your response. @StormJH1 so what I understand bluetooth is just no for iOS and musicians that use BT headphones. The latency is just too big. So seems bluetooth is not there (yet). I will probably retrun this one and stick to my CX-05 headphones.

• edited January 2018

Yeah Bluetooth is not practical for music making. It never has been

• ;) > @supadom said:

@mrufino1 said:

Yes, I was trying to be funny, forgot to use this guy... ;)

Bluetooth is convenient for listening to things on the go but not for production yet. Someday it may be but not now. Many bluetooth headphones also have an 1/8" jack so they can be wired headphones.

I have one of these :
    AROUSE Bluetooth Receiver 4.1 Wireless Audio Receiver Headphone Adapter with 3.5mm AUX Jack Hands-Free Calling for iPhone 8/7 Plus,Galaxy,Corded Headsets,Headphones,Earbuds,Home Stereo Speakers,Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075V8XGPP?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Which is great because it allows any headphones to be bluetooth. I use it with my custom in ears all the time, as well as the apple earbuds and my akg and Sony headphones.

• @mrufino1 said:
    ;) > @supadom said:

@mrufino1 said:

Yes, I was trying to be funny, forgot to use this guy... ;)

Bluetooth is convenient for listening to things on the go but not for production yet. Someday it may be but not now. Many bluetooth headphones also have an 1/8" jack so they can be wired headphones.

I have one of these :
    AROUSE Bluetooth Receiver 4.1 Wireless Audio Receiver Headphone Adapter with 3.5mm AUX Jack Hands-Free Calling for iPhone 8/7 Plus,Galaxy,Corded Headsets,Headphones,Earbuds,Home Stereo Speakers,Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075V8XGPP?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Which is great because it allows any headphones to be bluetooth. I use it with my custom in ears all the time, as well as the apple earbuds and my akg and Sony headphones.

Very much thanks for this suggestion :) Now I wil my return JBL headphones for certain

• Yamaha have released low latency, wireless headphones for musicians. Expensive, and not portable though…

• edited July 2023

Wireless audio with the minimum physically possible latency is rather trivial and cheap. I mentioned it in another thread. Get a mini analog broadcast FM radio transmitter that plugs into the headphone jack (if you still have one), and then get headphones with an integrated broadcast FM radio receiver. Problem solved!

• Definitely! BlueTooth midi works very well already, so much so that I’m reluctant to get anything new without it.