Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

MIDI interface suggestions

I have been looking at midi interface and some have where you can hook it up USB while others have it where you hook up via midi cables.....are there pro's and cons between the 2 or are they just different? I just need to hook up a small midi/keyboard controller. Some of them are as low as 20 bucks while others are even 100 bucks.....are the more expensive ones better? Which would you suggest I get?

Comments

• Or can I just use a apple camera kit???

• If you have a computer and good WiFi you can use midi over WiFi to play an iOS device app with midi in. Alternatively there are apps like midimux that let you play midi over the iOS lightning cable.

• There are a lot of interface types so knowing what you plan to do (just play the keys or full key/knob/slider/button production) will help with suggestions.

The benefit of USB is simplicity while the benefit of traditional MIDI cables is versatility with, especially older gear. That’s the simple version. Mainly just different.

You’ll still probably need a CCK. There’s a few interfaces that plug directly in to iOS devices (lightning port) but it’s much more common for manufacturers to want the interface capable of being used with as much hardware as possible.

• I'm just going to play the keys with midi controller and that is it

• Can you recommend a midi interface for an iPad 4?

• Will a apple camera kit do the job or do I need to spend more money on a midi interface?

• edited December 2017

Probably

• What's the difference between using a camera kit vs an midi interface?

• @jdolecek70 said:
    Will a apple camera kit do the job or do I need to spend more money on a midi interface?

Depends on the device. If it's powered by usb, you may also need a usb hub so that the ipad doesn't complain.

• What specifically are you trying to hook up to the soon-to-be MIDI interface?

• My guitar and a keyboard midi controller

• Also should I be trying to hook up a controller via the midi cables? Is it easier that way so I don't run into USB power issues?

• I suggest getting an audio interface with midi ports. Steinberg ur22 mkii is a good budget choise

• @ToMess said:
    I suggest getting an audio interface with midi ports. Steinberg ur22 mkii is a good budget choise

+1

• edited January 2018

Easiest and cheapest set-up would be an iRig2 through the audioport for your guitar, and your MIDI keyboard through a CCK if it has a USB connector. What keyboard is it btw?

If you want something a bit more versatile and/or if your keyboard only has a 5 din connector, I'd recommend getting the Zoom U-24 with the CCK instead, and connect both guitar and MIDI keyboard into it. That interface has best value for money imo. (But if the keyboard is USB you'll need a USB hub to connect both the keyboard and U-24 - might or might not need to be a powered one).

In short:
    1) USB keyboard: iRig2 + CCK
    2) MIDI din keyboard: U-24 + CCK

• I have not bought a midi keyboard as of yet, that is also what m planning on getting

• @Ribbon said:
    Easiest and cheapest set-up would be an iRig2 through the audioport for your guitar,

You can get a counterfeit irig for $9 on Amazon under the brand name Vonato. It will probably break after three months, but at least you'll be able to see if you like recording guitar on ipad without spending a lot of money.

• @Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@Ribbon said:
    Easiest and cheapest set-up would be an iRig2 through the audioport for your guitar,

You can get a counterfeit irig for $9 on Amazon under the brand name Vonato. It will probably break after three months, but at least you'll be able to see if you like recording guitar on ipad without spending a lot of money.

Yes. Irig2 is so horrible little piece of chinese slave workers shit, that any random china thing doing the same thing might be better.

• edited January 2018

@ToMess said:

@Wrlds2ndBstGeoshredr said:

@Ribbon said:

Yes. Irig2 is so horrible little piece of chinese slave workers shit, that any random china thing doing the same thing might be better.

Pretty sure they're made in Italy, under CE standards.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/mobile/news/?item_id=1677

I beg to differ re: quality. They're a very good entry-level interface when teamed with the right app (say Jam Up instead of Amplitube) and at an affordable price tag.

• @Ribbon said:

@ToMess said:

@Ribbon said:

I beg to differ re: quality. They're a very good entry-level interface when teamed with the right app (say Jam Up instead of Amplitube) and at an affordable price tag.

I have one and its really noisy and eats all the tone. I have tested it with synth, guitars(low ohm, high ohm and insane ohm mics) and basses(acoustic with piezo and active mics), though different guitar apps and through a real guitar amp, though real tube preamp and then to ipads apps. Even did an comparison with it and ur22 and conclusion was that yes it does sound like crap and not worth using.

• edited January 2018

@ToMess said:

@Ribbon said:

@ToMess said:

@Ribbon said:

I have one and its really noisy and eats all the tone. I have tested it with synth, guitars(low ohm, high ohm and insane ohm mics) and basses(acoustic with piezo and active mics), though different guitar apps and through a real guitar amp, though real tube preamp and then to ipads apps. Even did an comparison with it and ur22 and conclusion was that yes it does sound like crap and not worth using.

I had one too and didn't have any issues with it. Clear sound, no noise. Only reason I parted from it was because I needed mic in and it became redundant when I got a U-24. I only recommend things I've used myself and have been happy with.

Could it be that yours is defective or a counterfeit? There's a lot of fake ones floating around. If yours says Made in China for instance instead of Made in Italy it's most likely fake.

• You do not need a midi interface if you just want to hook up a controller to your ipad. Midi works via USB just fine. All you need is a midi controller (most of them are USB midi anyway), USB cable (will likely come with the controller) and a genuine Apple CCK.

Have fun!

• Don't forget Midi over Bluetooth. Not every app supports it, but the lack of cables (except the charging cable if you like) can be very handy. The midi guitar and the midi keyboard could be used with products like Quicco mi.1 or Yamaha MD-BT01.
    In case you decide for a USB interface, make sure you get the right CCK:
    The older one does Lightning to USB2 without charging the device, and the newer Lightning to USB3 CCK can both connect a class-compliant interface and charge your iDevice at the same time.
    Some standalone interfaces claim to offer an iPad/iPhone-compatible USB port that also supports charging, but I found that's not always true, so be sure to read other users' comments.

• @Ribbon said:

@ToMess said:

@Ribbon said:

@ToMess said:

@Ribbon said:

I had one too and didn't have any issues with it. Clear sound, no noise. Only reason I parted from it was because I needed mic in and it became redundant when I got a U-24. I only recommend things I've used myself and have been happy with.

Could it be that yours is defective or a counterfeit? There's a lot of fake ones floating around. If yours says Made in China for instance instead of Made in Italy it's most likely fake.

I bought it from an authorized reseller and it says made in italy. Could it be that im just more picky about what i think is useable and have paid closer attention to how it sounds in comparison to better products? Im not the only one who says these things about it you know. And more often than not, when i see people recommending them, those people just dont know about any(or much) better and praise it to heaven because they didnt see anything wrong with it and it costs so little compared to proper interface.

• @ToMess said:

@Ribbon said:

@ToMess said:

@Ribbon said:

@ToMess said:

@Ribbon said:

I bought it from an authorized reseller and it says made in italy. Could it be that im just more picky about what i think is useable and have paid closer attention to how it sounds in comparison to better products? Im not the only one who says these things about it you know. And more often than not, when i see people recommending them, those people just dont know about any(or much) better and praise it to heaven because they didnt see anything wrong with it and it costs so little compared to proper interface.

Well I'm a sound professional so I'd say I'm pretty picky about sound quality. Plenty other people I know are satisfied with it too so let's just agree to disagree and let the OP make their own mind I guess.

• @Ribbon said:

@ToMess said:

@Ribbon said:

@ToMess said:

@Ribbon said:

@ToMess said:

@Ribbon said:

Well I'm a sound professional so I'd say I'm pretty picky about sound quality. Plenty other people I know are satisfied with it too so let's just agree to disagree and let the OP make their own mind I guess.

Or maybe because its so cheaply made, every other that leaves the product line are poorly wired and thus doesent sound good.