Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Simple Midi Controllable Sampler Suggestion

Straight to the point:

Does anyone know of an app that would let me:
1. Import samples (key or pad based, doesn't matter) - but multiple samples per setting/bank is a must. One sound across a keyboard isn't enough
2. Change the incoming midi channel
3. Can run in background

Pluses would be:
Can use midi to change programs or banks
Has similar 'tuning' capabilities like Beatmaker, change key/pitch without changing sample length

I've reached the limit of what can be pulled of with a single custom instrument in BM2. I can only use one, as the other 15 midi channels are reserved for other apps.

Any ideas at all would be helpful.

Rest of the story:
I play in a 3 piece band switching between bass guitar and keys. For the last 3 years I've used an ipad for all keyed sounds, from synths to sampled instruments. On some songs, its much easier to use a sample pulled from the actual song rather than try and recreate the sound, and necessary for a non instrument sound. So far I have used Beatmaker 2 for this. I have tried Beatmaker 3, and found that while more powerful, its more of a pain to set up for my use. I'm only using the virtual custom keyboard aspect - none of the DAW features. Neither BM2 or 3 allows me to load a new song or switch banks via midi (BM3 may, but I never discovered how. To be honest, the MIDI implementation in BM3 became more of a mystery the more I tried to figure it out, and I was never able to use it to replace BM2 in a live situation.

Comments

• Maybe Vatanator? Virtual MIDI is a bit patchy on it but CoreMIDI and MIDI learn work great. You have to import samples as folders though, it doesn't let you rec a sample straight into a pad. It's more suitable for one-shot samples than loops but there's a step sequencer.
    There's also Group The Loop, Bilbao Gadget etc. Modstep has a sampler too. Depends what you do with your samples really. Loop them, sequence them, finger drum...

• Thanks, I'll check out Vatanator plus the others you mentioned. I need sample to basically be one offs. For instance, the 'hoot hoot' sound in Bruno Mars' Locked Out of Heaven. (I don't know a better way to describe that, lol) I only have one keyboard live, and I use midiflow to break sections apart to send to different apps. I choose from the lise of presets in midiflow, and it sends program changes to any apps that accept them - which is one of the things I really would like to have in a replacement app.

I had no idea Modstep did samples, btw. I've had it since it came out. I'm don't recall being able to have it load up new songs via midi however. I'll re-download it in a few and check that out too.

• Not sure about programme change as I never use it, but for MIDI note controlled Bruno Mars hoot hoot type of use with multiple samples, Vatanator and Bilbao should do the trick :smile:

• So I purchased Vatanator, and as I was about to run an errand I decided to download BM3 again to see if I could figure out the midi routing once again. I guess spending time away from something lets you come at it with a different frame of mind. I figured out the midi implementation much better than I had previously.

Turn out BM3 has just about every feature I wanted, and then some. I didn't realize you could still map multiple samples to one keyboard (in this case, a new layer on an existing pad, mapper to different keys in the keyboard view.) Once I doscovered this was in fact still possible in BM3, plus being able to pull up different banks using crazy high keys (G9 for example), this solved all of my issues.

Still, thanks so much for your help. I've spent $$ the last few month trying to find something BM3 already did, but I was too dense to figure out!

• Check out Thumbjam. I'm just getting started with it, but it is looking promising, might be my sampler on iOS. I think you can stretch samples across a range of keys, or, one per key.

No velocity switching, round robin, etc, but I was mostly looking for sample per key, because that's when things start sounding lush and impressive.