Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Auria: Fab Filter Synths

BEEN years since I installed this app.

Wow.

Pretty impressive sound.

Kind of shocked more people are not singing the praises of these. The polyphonic one is literally like a real synth playing some of the best sounds you find on Synthmaster, except you are doing it with a synth.

Great sound.

Anyone who uses it a bit, I would appreciate any heads up or ideas when using these Fab synths or even the sampler.

Had this app forever, but, decided to give it a try.

Comments

• awesome synths and fax from fab filter, I just wish you didn’t have to use them in Auria. I’d love to have them available across ios ecosystem

• The sticking point with the Fab Filter synths for me is that I can only use them in Auria. I almost never fire up Auria when I'm being creative as it's primarily a mixing tool for me. As such, I never just fart around making space noises with the Fab Filters and so they just sit there collecting virtual dust.

Anyone here have a creative workflow they use with these synths?

• @eross said:
    awesome synths and fax from fab filter, I just wish you didn’t have to use them in Auria. I’d love to have them available across ios ecosystem

@dvlmusic said:
    The sticking point with the Fab Filter synths for me is that I can only use them in Auria. I almost never fire up Auria when I'm being creative as it's primarily a mixing tool for me. As such, I never just fart around making space noises with the Fab Filters and so they just sit there collecting virtual dust.

Anyone here have a creative workflow they use with these synths?

Interesting.

I assume Auria doesn't work in the input slot..............

• Tip: you can install all the desktop Twin2/One presets inside Auria: they have the same functionality of their PC/Mac counterparts.

The sampler is in fact a sample player, but it can load all kinds of soundfonts and exs libraries.

• P.S.: Auria works both as input and output in AB2 (I never tested it im AB3).

• Tip 2 - Auria has the most powerful piano roll in iOS - give it a shot! But for controlling the synth sounds and doing creative work with midi, I always use Thumbjam as a midi controller.

• @theconnactic I always thought it was particularly sluggish and hard to use... can you give a few pointers at what makes it superior to others?

• @RUST( i )K have you got any of the Twin2 preset IAPs? I was averse to paying for presets until I bought my first Twin2 one. I don’t think they’re part of the current sale, but they’re only $2.99. For me, each pack feels like a complete standalone synth app in their own right. I think I’ve bought 4 of them now.

• I use Twin2 and One a lot, they (along with the other FF's) are the main reason for me to use Auria. Combined with LayR, Mood and Nave I am feeling I cover quite a few bases whilst being able to concentrate my learnings on getting those synths up on my skill levels.

Just to re-iterate @theconnactic's point above, if you have access to a desktop you can install ALL the presets from the desktop version. Legally. It also completely removes the need to buy the IAP's, as they contain the same stuff, just split up over various IAP's. You might of course wish to purchase the IAP's as a means of supporting the developers. Just saying, you don't have to, if you have a desktop computer.

• @theconnactic said:
    Tip 2 - Auria has the most powerful piano roll in iOS - give it a shot! But for controlling the synth sounds and doing creative work with midi, I always use Thumbjam as a midi controller.

Now, it certainly is not bad, but it has (had?) some strange issues, as seen here:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/19401/comparing-piano-roll-step-editors/p1

How would you compare Xequence?
    BeatMaker?

• I love Twin 2 and keep Auria on my iPad to play it (often with Saturn). Yet, while I can sit here for hours making lush sounds, I often find this synth just dominates everything - yes it’s down to myself, but it’s just soooo lush it sometimes hurts to reign in! :p

• They are not bad but also not in a league with the latest and greatest. I tried them on my mac and the filters could have more juice and power. I mean they are nice synths but far far away from others.
    Fabfilter make awesome mixing and mastering tools but FX (reverb) and synths are so.....O.K.

• edited December 2017

Depends to what you compare, @Cib - if you compare to the U-he series, the FabFilters will fall short. On the other hand, they are more powerful and have a better analogue character than Massive for instance, and are way more powerful and versatile than Zeta or V-Station. Nothing compares to Zebra and Diva, it's not FabFilter fault, but they are among the best of the "Analogue" Desktop synths.

• P.S.: and I cannot disagree more about the reverb part: Pro R is simply the best reverb ever made. Horses for courses, I suppose.

• edited December 2017

@theconnactic said:
    P.S.: and I cannot disagree more about the reverb part: Pro R is simply the best reverb ever made. Horses for courses, I suppose.

Personal flavor maybe. I like my reverbs huuuuuuuuuge and very dense, outa space stuff and very deep. That is something Pro R can´t do. It´s miles away from Valhalla stuff and even lightyears away from things like Aether or my favorite B2 (or the new Breeze 2).

• edited December 2017

@theconnactic said:
    Depends to what you compare, @Cib - if you compare to the U-he series, the FabFilters will fall short. On the other hand, they are more powerful and have a better analogue character than Massive for instance, and are way more powerful and versatile than Zeta or V-Station. Nothing compares to Zebra and Diva, it's not FabFilter fault, but they are among the best of the "Analogue" Desktop synths.

Of course i compare it to other i have used and like. Might also be personal preference of course.
    Zebra and Diva are better for me yes. Zeeon and Model 15 as well and Repro is even better and P900 has the best filters i ever heard anywhere.
    The filters are not everything but the most important part for me, especially if you want "analogue".
    Even Logic´s intern synths are on par or better as the Fabfilter synths.....for me at least.

• @hellquist said:
    I use Twin2 and One a lot, they (along with the other FF's) are the main reason for me to use Auria. Combined with LayR, Mood and Nave I am feeling I cover quite a few bases whilst being able to concentrate my learnings on getting those synths up on my skill levels.

Just to re-iterate @theconnactic's point above, if you have access to a desktop you can install ALL the presets from the desktop version. Legally. It also completely removes the need to buy the IAP's, as they contain the same stuff, just split up over various IAP's. You might of course wish to purchase the IAP's as a means of supporting the developers. Just saying, you don't have to, if you have a desktop computer.

Sorry, just to clarify even more (as I notice it isn't clear in my first message when I read it through and I was typing before rushing out the door): You only need a desktop computer to run iTunes or iFunBox for the transferring of folders/files. You do NOT have to own the desktop version of Twin2 to do so. All the preset are downloadable from Fabfilters own web site.

The trick lies in the folder structure, all of which is explained in this thread here by TheConnactic.

I guess you probably could get by without a desktop too with some Dropbox/AudioShare/Files magic, which I haven't done.

There. A little bit more clear.

• @Cib said:

@theconnactic said:
    P.S.: and I cannot disagree more about the reverb part: Pro R is simply the best reverb ever made. Horses for courses, I suppose.

Personal flavor maybe. I like my reverbs huuuuuuuuuge and very dense, outa space stuff and very deep. That is something Pro R can´t do. It´s miles away from Valhalla stuff and even lightyears away from things like Aether or my favorite B2 (or the new Breeze 2).

Fair enough. :)

• I think Pro-R is the best reverb ever because it’s so unintrusive.

• edited December 2017

As for the Twin 2, I think the mod aspect of it (and any Fabfilter) is a truly smart and novel way of doing it. The sound of the synth itself has been surpassed, though, even a few times on iOS. To be fair, it was released in 2009 I think.

• @theconnactic said:
    Tip 2 - Auria has the most powerful piano roll in iOS - give it a shot! But for controlling the synth sounds and doing creative work with midi, I always use Thumbjam as a midi controller.

Great info

Thanks

• @oat_phipps said:
    As for the Twin 2, I think the mod aspect of it (and any Fabfilter) is a truly smart and novel way of doing it. The sound of the synth itself has been surpassed, though, even a few times on iOS. To be fair, it was released in 2009 I think.

Which do you think do what this synth do?

Maybe my time can better be spent?

I just find the interface of tangible controls for the XY and LFO is very specific and unique compared to most iso synths?

I am a fiddler so to speak.

It sees almost modular in a weird way.

The sound pallet is pretty diverse so I am interested outside Zeeon you think do this?

Thanks broseph

• @RUST( i )K said:

@oat_phipps said:

Which do you think do what this synth do?

Maybe my time can better be spent?

I just find the interface of tangible controls for the XY and LFO is very specific and unique compared to most iso synths?

I am a fiddler so to speak.

It sees almost modular in a weird way.

The sound pallet is pretty diverse so I am interested outside Zeeon you think do this?

Thanks broseph

Twin 2 still holds its own I reckon. I’d say it’s up there with the Moogs, PPGs, Zeeon, DRC et al.

As with most (if not all) the fabs, there’s a Dan Worrall video to get the average user up and running: