Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Cosmic Logic - 100% SunVox [BONUS: full sunvox project attached!]

I just recently picked up sunvox and was intimidated pretty quickly. But this weekend I decided to just dive in and not stop until I had a full song. It actually ended up being a lot of fun. I've attached the project file for anyone who might be interested (I had to put it in a zip file to attach here; don't forget to extract before loading). I'm including a screenshot below as well, so those who have no idea what sunvox is they can at least see what it looks like with the project loaded.

This song is pretty different from most of the stuff I have on soundcloud, but I had so much fun doing it that I sure want to do more, so I just ended up creating a separate soundcloud artist for my new-found alternate personality. :)

Enjoy!

Comments

• Thanks, got it :smile:

• Nice - I dig it. I like that it's not the standard techno/trancey/electronica that I normally hear from SunVox users.

To be honest, I can't wrap my head around SunVox. I used to make music with a friend using ProTracker for Amiga 5000 back in High School, but I as much as I like the tones it can generate, I'm not sure I want to relearn how to use a tracker....

Some day...

• @dvlmusic SunVox has per-module MIDI In now so you can use any sequencer you want (hint!) :)

• Yeah I'm psyched they added that. I'm looking forward to digging into that just haven't had the chance. I'd love to hear how the SunVox chiptuney tones can work in some other genres.

• @SevenSystems said:
    @dvlmusic SunVox has per-module MIDI In now so you can use any sequencer you want (hint!) :)

It does?! Is that brand new in the latest update?

• @skiphunt said:

@SevenSystems said:
    @dvlmusic SunVox has per-module MIDI In now so you can use any sequencer you want (hint!) :)

It does?! Is that brand new in the latest update?

Oh wow, just tried it out. Kickass!!!

• Nice job on the track and thanks for sharing the source.

• @skiphunt said:

Yes, since latest update... I was quite happy as well because now I can use a sane sequencer to unleash SunVox's potential :D

• I think I'll try hooking up SunVox to the new Chordflow update on my phone for some lightweight sketching later.

• @obijohn great track! I love the almost "call and response" style where the two lead synth parts play off of each other

• @SevenSystems said:

@skiphunt said:

Yes, since latest update... I was quite happy as well because now I can use a sane sequencer to unleash SunVox's potential :D

SunVox modules, effect stack, and routing are insanely deep. Yes the interface takes getting used to, what with horizontal sliders and numbers instead of knobs/faders, but my goodness the possibilities are pretty much endless. Analog, FM, and FFT synths, including a generator with standard oscillator types but also "draw your own waveform"? Craziness. And the MetaModule concept is just brilliant, basically embedding an entire copy of SunVox that you can use as a standard module. Recursively.

Don't take my song post as an example of what it can do, I was just starting to learn my way around it, and the sounds here were literally the first modules I used. I'll dig deeper for the next one!

OK, sorry, I'll stop. Guess I've gotten a tad bit excited about the possibilities. :smile:

• @obijohn said:
    OK, sorry, I'll stop. Guess I've gotten a tad bit excited about the possibilities. :smile:

SunVox is technically really amazing. However, as "cute" as it is, the author should lose the "8-bit era C64 vibe" and give the UI a modern treatment. It is hindering adoption (and commercial success) if you ask me.

P.D.: If you want to get a good idea of its sonic potential, listen to the demo song "Quantum Continuum".

• I have to agree. I get it - it's universal across platforms and that is a truly wonderful thing. But I can't jive with the interface and that turns me off to learning the ins and outs. A re-skin would do wonders.

• I love the interface. Squishy and fluid— responsive design before that was a thing, which is why it's so portable. With the midi in, if you don't like the tracker, push it off the screen and forget about it. It's great. Mold it in your likeness. So many apps are fixed and pushing you into their shaped hole. This one, you make the hole yourself and wiggle in.

• @aaronpc said:
    I love the interface. Squishy and fluid— responsive design before that was a thing, which is why it's so portable. With the midi in, if you don't like the tracker, push it off the screen and forget about it. It's great. Mold it in your likeness. So many apps are fixed and pushing you into their shaped hole. This one, you make the hole yourself and wiggle in.

At last, someone who has taken the time to understand the "beauty" of the interface.

Sure there are things I would change but overall I find it one of the quickest to use multi-panel synth apps on iOS.

• @Jocphone said:

@aaronpc said:
    I love the interface. Squishy and fluid— responsive design before that was a thing, which is why it's so portable. With the midi in, if you don't like the tracker, push it off the screen and forget about it. It's great. Mold it in your likeness. So many apps are fixed and pushing you into their shaped hole. This one, you make the hole yourself and wiggle in.

At last, someone who has taken the time to understand the "beauty" of the interface.

Sure there are things I would change but overall I find it one of the quickest to use multi-panel synth apps on iOS.

Sunvox Is beautiful because it’s GUI is strictly about function. To really get the GUI you have to get what Sunvox offers, which is the most extensive - and flexible - feature set of any studio app on iOS, bar none. The GUI is simply a hyper-practical expression of that. Its cute the way a heads up display of a fighter jet or an erector set is cute. Everything under the hood is exposed and available to play with. Zero pretty skeumorphism, nothing shiny, almost no style at all, just tools and interstices.

• But even the heads up display on a fighter jet surely would have font anti-aliasing if it were built in 2017 and had 400 dpi ;) I mean, anti-aliased fonts don't REDUCE readability and the quicker you can read the heading of the chasing missile, the surviverest ;)

• edited December 2017

@SevenSystems said:
    But even the heads up display on a fighter jet surely would have font anti-aliasing if it were built in 2017 and had 400 dpi ;) I mean, anti-aliased fonts don't REDUCE readability and the quicker you can read the heading of the chasing missile, the surviverest ;)

(Okay, maybe think heads up display on a 90s MiG :) )

And as is the trend throughout, GUI params including font, and scaling of each UI element is user tweakable, at least enough to keep capitalist pig sidewinders off our ass

Don’t get me wrong - I’m not averse to the 21st century fighter jets GUI, for example the lovely and lethal Xequence...perhaps you’ve heard of it :)

• edited December 2017

Well, after all, SunVox IS a 90s Russian fighter jet :D (the developer is from Siberia). Yeah I'm getting it, I don't disagree with you anyway. There's a few tweaks that could be done though to enhance usability. Off the top of my head: 1) Higher contrast between popups and background (look at your screenshots, it's hard to see that there even is a popup). For example using a drop-shadow (yes yes, I hear you shout "Skeuomorphism", but it's sometimes useful!) 2) Better indication of currently selected module (again, it's done using those 4 square "figher jet" brackets, but it's not terribly well visible). 3) More use of icons instead of text labels. Icons are more easily recognizable, even the Egyptians knew that! ;) and they save space. For example, the "V" button that switches between multiple-column views in the module editor. It should be a grid icon or so. But I'll stop derailing the thread now! :D

• Even if some think the SunVox UI is 'dated' it's very flexible and with 50+ modules on screen at the same time I'd be impressed if some-one creates an UI with the same level of over view :)

Only shortcoming is that tweaking is done one module at the time.

• edited December 2017

Yep I knew he was Russian- hence the MiG reference (see what I did there? :) )

There is a kind of “Russian” stylee on view generally. To stretch the analogy to exercise gear, think kettlebell (a complete set) rather than a club-style elliptical trainer with heart monitor and cup holder.

• @Littlewoodg yes, I would rather be in the kettlebell department too :) so... going back to add some guns to that lethal Xequence now :D

• If I track my roots back in time I'm 1/8th Russian so that might explain why I love SunVox just the way it is ;)

• edited December 2017

@SevenSystems said:
    @Littlewoodg yes, I would rather be in the kettlebell department too :) so... going back to add some guns to that lethal Xequence now :D

Good hunting - I’m all in w/Xequence, wherever you’re headed

• edited December 2017

@dvlmusic
    That version is still available for Palm Pilot OS
    (har har, though I’m only partly kidding, I’ve used Sunvox on Palm and Windows CE mobiles, and Comrade Zolotov keeps those versions available for download)

• Thanks for the compliments and the lively SunVox discussion :smile:

Interface aside, my only 2 wishes for the iOS version are Bluetooth/Smart Keyboard support (text keyboard, for the very handy shortcuts, but this has been on the TODO list literally since 2008 so I’m not holding my breath), and Files app support, to simplify transferring work on a project back and forth from laptop and iOS. It’s still doable, but only the laptop->iOS part is easy. Going the other way you have to use iTunes or iFunbox.

• Crazy little piece. I like it, but a few breaks would have been nice. :D