Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Retronyms is "uveiling something cool" tomorrow, and it's not AudioCopy 4

Update: I corrected the title from "new" to "cool", to be accurate.

Comments

• When ever Louis is involved I'm all ears!
    Phase84 is still pretty darn awesome ;)

• I am going to try to go to the electronic music meetup, and i'll post if I have news.

• iMPC super pro. Lol.
    I gotta say I used to believe in those guys. Not so much now so I won't get my hopes up.

• I'm guardedly optimistic.

• At least they have just made a comment and not some stupid video :p

• AudioCopy 4 is long overdue but if it has Files.app integration, Input Monitoring and good 'iTunes Import' I'm all ears too... But this is apparently something other than AudioCopy 4 :)

• TableTop 2 with AU support?...... :D

• From now on: Every two three four five months updates for their apps - and fast bug fixes. Something like this - i am sure. Or, even better: A new subscription service for Retronym apps.

>! For about 6,99 $ per motn you get a kind of "all you can eat"!!!

• edited December 2017

Meh... I’m done with retronyms

• Lifetime free updates a la cakewalk?

• Maybe it's their first iOS AUv3 instrument?

• @Samu said:
    Maybe it's their first iOS AUv3 instrument?

Would love to see some of their stuff become AU. Even if they took some of the better bits from Table Top and expanded on them for AU

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@Samu said:

Would love to see some of their stuff become AU. Even if they took some of the better bits from Table Top and expanded on them for AU

I was more thinking maybe iProphet and iMini as AUv3's ;)

• @Samu said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Samu said:

Well if iProphet becomes an AU I will be very happy!

• @Fruitbat1919 said:

@Samu said:

That would be a smart move because they've got all those little tools. Probably impossible though and if they were to do something that ambitious I'm sure they'd be hyping it up a lot more.

• @Samu said:
    When ever Louis is involved I'm all ears!

Yep.

@studs1966 said:
    TableTop 2 with AU support?...... :D

Not such a crazy idea. I abandoned tabletop forever ago but this would make me investigate it again for sure. Considering its age, I wonder about the codebase's ability to even go there.

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Samu said:

That would be a smart move because they've got all those little tools. Probably impossible though and if they were to do something that ambitious I'm sure they'd be hyping it up a lot more.

Yeah probably. I’m not a big fan of the trend of hyping releases

• edited December 2017

He said 'something cool' and not 'something new'. Might be splitting hairs but...

Also, for your speculative pleasure... reading the thread on twitter, JFB replied to that tweet with "AC X!" and Louis replied: "Cooler".

• @syrupcore said:
    He said 'something cool' and not 'something new'. Might be splitting hairs but...

Phase84 is 'cool' and I've been having a blast with the VST/AU version 'Digits' for quite some time and what has bugged me is that Phase84 is a few versions behind...
    http://www.extentofthejam.com

• @Samu said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Samu said:

Now you're talking. That would be great.

• I'm really tired of Retronyms hate. Disclaimer: I'm friends with folks from Retronyms. I like them. They're nice people. I'm biased.

I also understand frustration with Retronyms. Retronyms' product plan hasn't always been aligned with my personal wish list. They resisted Audiobus for a long time. However, their justification was that Audiobus was proprietary, and they wanted focus on Apple standards. That bummed me out, too. (To their credit, AU is winning hearts and minds, and if you follow their twitter, Retronyms is clearly interested in addressing AU going forward.)

But holy crap, they aren't friggin' Exxon. They have limited resources. They're pioneers on a new operating system. Look at their ambition. Sure Tabletop had issues, and the single-app model didn't seem to take off, but tabletop is very imaginative, and full featured, and the best vision for a virtual studio app.

Their vintage synth ports are as awesome as Arturia's code enabled them to be. Sure, I would love to see these synths as AUs. Their MIDI issues are part of the legacy code, and would be really difficult to unravel. But they sound great. They're inspiring. And Phase84 is the love-clone of the very popular digits PM synth, which ALWAYS shows up on list of the best VST synths.

Hardware. Hardware. Do you know how difficult, (and expensive) it is to launch hardware? Yet they had a vision for wej and looperverse. As first gen products, these are pretty cool. Keep in mind their market opportunity isn't a jillion users. Most ~established~ hardware companies struggle. One famous berkeley instrument manufacturer I know is out raising money right now. But Retronyms went for it. Did I mention the software works with the hardware?

The AudioCopy store is sort of meh, and a missed opportunity in file management a la Audioshare. But the sample store is the best on iOS. I'm not a sample/loop freak, but it totally fits in with their hook and IMPC strategies. Oh, yeah, I forgot how hard it is to emulate a piece of hardware like the MPC, and expand it's functionality.

Retronyms isn't a massive building filled with limitless resources. They're in a humble office with like 10-ish people. I think they have accomplished a lot. Software is hard. And ambitious software is harder. I understand how Retronyms products aren't a good fit for some people. They have made some decisions that looked weird from the outside.

But for gosh sakes, I think we can appreciate what they're trying to do, and give them a hand up. They are responsive on twitter, and they seem to be in it for the long haul. This is not an adversarial relationship; we are on the same team. We're on a journey, and retronyms deserves patience and encouragement to match their ambition.

• Not audio copy 4? I’m so not interested!

• @JeffChasteen said:

@Samu said:

@Fruitbat1919 said:

@Samu said:

Now you're talking. That would be great.

If that happened, I would do a dance.

• Making MPC original compatible with AudioShare/Audiobus and introducing song export is my definition of "cool." Graphics and sound engine in MPC Pro are rubbish.

• I’ve always dug retronyms stuff, I’m with @johnfromberkeley tired of hearing retronyms hate: I don’t know them personally, but I’m still having a gas with Tabletop and it’s xtras. I’m in for whatever they have cooking.

• MPC is such a strong brand. I would love to see the iMPC Pro app continue to be developed with new features to keep it head-to-head with the BM3 sampler.

• If Retronyms were allowed to make Korg Gadgets, let’s say, would people go for them?

• @u0421793 said:
    If Retronyms were allowed to make Korg Gadgets, let’s say, would people go for them?

Behringer will be making cheap versions of Korg Gadgets next ;)

• DopplerPad Pro. Calling it.

• @gusgranite said:
    MPC is such a strong brand. I would love to see the iMPC Pro app continue to be developed with new features to keep it head-to-head with the BM3 sampler.

Who knows, maybe it's a 'AUv3 Sampler' with close ties to AudioCopy?(Ie. no need to 'import' just access directly)
    I mean iMPC Pro does 'rex-style' Time-Stretching and the .WAV files from the content store are Acidiced WAVs.

This would up the cool factor for sure!