Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Rozeta Cells - WHAAAAAAAAT?!?!?!?!?!?

https://www.facebook.com/ruismaker/videos/1971579549724891/?hc_ref=ARQaDyBC53ItTzriacQbjpVC0T6IhxsY8_WKrV8979cXSsR9S8u6xxpWoHc-yLbevtM

Seriously?!?!?! As if I wasn't already using Rozeta for every single new groove...

Look like my kids will be getting even less of my attention now.

Comments

• nice, so a bit like Midisteps technique?

• @Carnbot said:
    nice, so a bit like Midisteps technique?

Sort of. A mix of that, and SH-101, with a sprinkle of 2-dimensional crawling around thrown in. Still work in progress though.

• Awesome! Not sure I exactly understand how it works...but, awesome!

Man, @brambos was definitely right place, right time with this Rosetta bundle, right? Those apps are going to be virtually everybody's origin experience with AU MIDI.

Can't wait to try it out in BM3 now that it has AU MIDI slots - I enjoyed it in AUM but never know what to do in AUM other than as a nesting place for instruments and effects.

• @StormJH1 said:
    Awesome! Not sure I exactly understand how it works...but, awesome!

In a miniature nutshell: you record notes/chords in cells and let them play in a [non]linear order.

Man, @brambos was definitely right place, right time with this Rosetta bundle, right?

In a way I think I helped establish the right place, right time a little bit ;) If you watch Apple's WWDC video you'll notice they had something completely different in mind when they opened up MIDI Output from AU plugins, but I've had this AU-sequencer idea for quite a while and suddenly there was an opportunity...

• @Brambos Great :) yes sounds ideal. I'm looking forward to sequencing chords with Rozeta and this looks like an interesting way to do it.

• Just yesterday I created a sweet funk groove with Rozeta triggering DM1, Model 15, Ruismaker and Neo-Soul Keys. XOX was playing DM1 and Ruismaker while Bassline was playing Model 15. This is where it gets interesting:

I had one instance of Particles playing a clavinet in Neo-Soul Keys. THEN I ran Neo-Soul Keys through DubFilter, and had a second instance of Particles playing the filter cutoff in DubFilter.

I'm still totally mesmerized by the interconnectivity of these apps and having them all work together in a musical way. Now if I could just finish this damn album....

• edited December 2017

And I should give lots of credit to Jonatan Liljedahl. After I pitched the idea to him he had it working in an AUM beta the same day. It's kinda hard to make plugins without a host to test in and this was just brilliant ;)

• Looking good :)

In addition to 'recording' will we be able to manually enter/edit the notes in the cells?
    (maybe tap a cell and a small keyboard could pop up and the user could select/unselect notes for the step).

• edited December 2017

@Samu said:
    Looking good :)

In addition to 'recording' will we be able to manually enter/edit the notes in the cells?
    (maybe tap a cell and a small keyboard could pop up and the user could select/unselect notes for the step).

Not planning on it.. all hosts have keyboards built in which are perfectly usable for recording little bits like this. Seems a bit redundant to add my own keyboard on top of that :)

If you hit the wrong note(s) in a cell, simply re-record that cell to correct it.

• Awesome! Is note recording real-time, or does it work like an actual step sequencer (advances to next step after each note entry)?

• @brambos said:

Not planning on it.. all hosts have keyboards built in which are perfectly usable for recording little bits like this. Seems a bit redundant to add my own keyboard on top of that :)

If you hit the wrong note(s) in a cell, simply re-record that cell to correct it.

Oki!

Guess we need a host with multiple on-screen keyboards next then :)
    (There's plenty of room on the screen in AUM to stack a few keyboards on top of each other).

• @Samu said:

@brambos said:

>

Guess we need a host with multiple on-screen keyboards next then :)

Maybe I didn't understand the use case; why would you need multiple keyboards?

• @busker said:
    Awesome! Is note recording real-time, or does it work like an actual step sequencer (advances to next step after each note entry)?

Step sequencer with auto-advance recording (optional). I have experimented with adding realtime recording too, but it felt wrong.. the UI was trying to be two different things at once and it just didn't work well. :)

• @brambos said:

Let's say I use one of the onboard keyboard to control one instance of say the 'Bass Line'(for easy transposition) and another keyboard is feeding the 'Arpeggiator' and a third might be controlling the new 'Cells' thing. Sure the AUM keyboard can be re-routed easily but that makes using 'hold' impossible.

There is one 'controller' app that handles 3 keyboards nicely but it relies on using AudioBus 3...
    https://www.midiflow.com/audiobus/keyboard/

So the idea with a mini 'baked in keyboard' just to edit the steps could he handy and avoid some keyboard re-routing.

• @Samu said:

@brambos said:

Let's say I use one of the onboard keyboard to control one instance of say the 'Bass Line'(for easy transposition) and another keyboard is feeding the 'Arpeggiator' and a third might be controlling the new 'Cells' thing. Sure the AUM keyboard can be re-routed easily but that makes using 'hold' impossible.

Right, got it! But something about that description gave me a vision of herding stubborn sheep :D There must be a more elegant way. Let me ponder that one!

• Oh cool!. Looking forward to it! Noice!

• As I mentioned in the Amazing Noises thread:

• @brambos said:

@Carnbot said:
    nice, so a bit like Midisteps technique?

Sort of. A mix of that, and SH-101, with a sprinkle of 2-dimensional crawling around thrown in. Still work in progress though.

We are not worthy! Well okay...maybe we are...Cannot wait!

bow.gif 482.9K
  • Very nice @brambos

Can the steps be different lengths?

• do the four rows mean 64 steps per pattern?

• Looks great! If this would function like the Keystep sequencer (poly, mixed tied notes and real time recording) it could be the last missing piece for sequencing inside Aum.

• still trying to figure out what the hell to do with Particles. messed with it a bit today but couldnt really generate anything coherent with it. i see the potential and like the premise, though.

• @brambos said:

@Samu said:

@brambos said:

Right, got it! But something about that description gave me a vision of herding stubborn sheep :D There must be a more elegant way. Let me ponder that one!

:o How many instance of a synth can be running in AUM? This is the number of keyboards a musiciam could possibly use at a same time. The only limitation is the room available in a 12,9 inch screen, or perhaps the lack of imagination of developpers.
    Come on!

• @LeonLeroy said:
    still trying to figure out what the hell to do with Particles. messed with it a bit today but couldnt really generate anything coherent with it. i see the potential and like the premise, though.

A good start is to turn gate length to 1 or 2 beats (the max end)

• edited December 2017

@brambos great addition, thank you. Is it currently possible to record live midi data into an au? Would be nice to record finger drumming instead to program the drums. Same for chords and melodies.

• @LeonLeroy said:
    still trying to figure out what the hell to do with Particles. messed with it a bit today but couldnt really generate anything coherent with it. i see the potential and like the premise, though.

Here’s a post some people seem to have found helpful...
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/429940/#Comment_429940

• Awesome, can’t wait!
    @brambos is something like genome’s real-time “slicing/looping” function possible with au?

• @brambos Any chance of you bringing Rozeta to desktop? There are a handful of VSTs that send MIDI, but honestly this looks to be better than most of what's available for desktop.

• edited December 2017

Testing the FREE MOVING playhead mode... Create your own maze!