Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Song Of The Month Club - December 2017

What is the Song of the Month Club?

It's a place where musicians come to give and receive feedback on their work. Anyone is welcome, whatever their level of ability.

The spirit of the club is to contribute: if you submit a song for others to comment on, you should also have the courtesy to listen to everyone else's contributions and give as much feedback as possible. Posting a track and not listening and commenting on others is not cool.

The purpose of feedback is to be honest. Essentially you should give your truthful impressions of the song, whether good or bad. Negative feedback, if done in the right spirit and with courtesy, can be the most useful and can help the artist to grow and improve and correct their mistakes.

All submissions are welcome, don't hesitate if you want to contribute. We like all kinds of music and we are particularly fond of vocals (but of course we still love a great instrumental). If you are thinking of experimenting with vocals this is a good place to get started.

We ask that you only post one song per month in this thread - if you're lucky enough to be able to produce more, then please just submit your strongest material

And finally, iOS is not a requirement for posting here. If you've recorded your song using nothing but a ukulele and a Fostex 4 track, that's fine.

Comments

• edited December 2017

I've been sitting on this for a while. I wrote it in the Spring, as part of my composition class. It's a sonata for piano and violin. I've been trying to get it to sound the way I want - I still, despite all the various sound libraries I have purchased, cannot get a violin sound I like. I'm also finding that exporting midi from Notion, then importing it into Auria, I'm not getting all the dynamics that occur when playing the piece in Notion. So last week I exported it again, but this times as wav files, and imported those. The piano from Notion is pretty decent. The violin sound I have been massaging/beating, with various forms of EQ, compression, and filters, including Timeless, Saturn and Volcano. I wasn't so hung up on it sounding like a violin, I just didn't want it to sound like some pathetic, whiny toy.

I of course also was not sure about subjecting folks to 6 minutes of one my classical compositions. B) But dammit, I'm pretty darn happy with this piece of music, so subject you to it I will. It's nothing crazy, not wandering off into the far reaches of listenable music. Anyhow, any and all comments welcome. Thoughts on the violin sound would be great, as I've pretty much lost all objectivity on it.

it starts out with four short themes. It then goes into variations on each. At the end it wraps up with a restatement/conclusion.

• @rickwaugh said:
    I've been sitting on this for a while. I wrote it in the Spring, as part of my composition class. It's a sonata for piano and violin. I've been trying to get it to sound the way I want - I still, despite all the various sound libraries I have purchased, cannot get a violin sound I like. I'm also finding that exporting midi from Notion, then importing it into Auria, I'm not getting all the dynamics that occur when playing the piece in Notion. So last week I exported it again, but this times as wav files, and imported those. The piano from Notion is pretty decent. The violin sound I have been massaging/beating, with various forms of EQ, compression, and filters, including Timeless, Saturn and Volcano. I wasn't so hung up on it sounding like a violin, I just didn't want it to sound like some pathetic, whiny toy.

I of course also was not sure about subjecting folks to 6 minutes of one my classical compositions. B) But dammit, I'm pretty darn happy with this piece of music, so subject you to it I will. It's nothing crazy, not wandering off into the far reaches of listenable music. Anyhow, any and all comments welcome. Thoughts on the violin sound would be great, as I've pretty much lost all objectivity on it.

it starts out with four short themes. It then goes into variations on each. At the end it wraps up with a restatement/conclusion.

Nice mate. I can understand about the violin sound. It needs that throaty, when the Bow hits the strings thingy. But as you say when using a synth based violin sound, it's hard to emulate the real thing. But I was imagining the track if it had it. Maybe something like KonTakt strings sound would of had the violin sounds now. But none the less nice. ;)

• Tx for the listen, @studs. I don’t know why violin is so hard. Cello, I have decent sounds. I do all my work on the iPad, so I’m stuck with what’s here, I’m afraid.

• @rickwaugh said:
    Tx for the listen, @studs. I don’t know why violin is so hard. Cello, I have decent sounds. I do all my work on the iPad, so I’m stuck with what’s here, I’m afraid.

Your welcome.......
    I found that the Cello has more body of sound than the Violin. When i use a Stringed instrument or sample, i will always use the Cello, & not the Violin. The Cello fidelity seems to have more Balls than other stringed instruments.... I think?........ ;)

• As it's Christmas just around the corner......... But a Disco one!...... Enjoy!..... :)

• It's funny, I enjoy your stuff now more than I ever enjoyed listening to disco when disco was hot. :D Disco moves.

Great sounds as always. For the mix, the vocals for some reason seem a little to prominent for me at the beginning. I think the repeated guitar figure could come up a bit in the mix as well. But those are real nits.

• @rickwaugh said:

I'm hearing lots of oriental and folk sounding passages here. Were they on purpose or is it just me? Overall, nice! And about the string insturments or acoustic insturments in general, I think they lose a lot when sampled or somehow emulated so I don't expect much from the samples from the beginning. Yours at least does not sound harsh or toy-like.

• Thanks @nothumanatall. Intentional only that's the way I heard it in my head, this one wasn't going there on purpose. It's odd that I find my melodies sounding very Asian at times.

There is the possibility of getting very good orchestral sounds - a lot of movie/tv/game music is sampled now. But it's tough to do when you can't switch libraries note to note. And there is something just awful about most violin samples. I guess doing my own sound mangling after the fact is just the way to go. ;)

• edited December 2017

Alright, this is the FIRST TIME EVER I'm sharing a track I made. Feels weird.
    I did this a couple of months ago I guess, while trying to study for an exam. I was too stressed and making this was my solution for relaxing. I named it CCS, because I was studying for a cultural and critical studies course (creative, right?). It was kind of my "song of that moment" so I didn't (want to) make a lot of edits. I wanted it to have a jazzy, electronic and folk sound at the same time. Hope you like it, and hope I'll make and share more!

• I decided to redone one of my old tracks for this month
    Hope you'll enjoy it :)

• @nothumanatall, nice mix, everything sitting well. Some odd tonalities in there, in the improv lines; can't figure out if I like them or not. I do like the changes in tempo and style, gives it a nice feel overall.

• @Moff, that's awesome. Man, that moves, love that punchy bass, and how you drop it out from time to time. Great mix, everything in place. The whole piece has a wonderful set of textures to it, the sounds really work together.

• edited December 2017

@rickwaugh said:
    @Moff, that's awesome. Man, that moves, love that punchy bass, and how you drop it out from time to time. Great mix, everything in place. The whole piece has a wonderful set of textures to it, the sounds really work together.

Thanks, man!
    It's Korg Gadget power, i'm in love with this app <3

sorry, I'm not in the right mood to estimate your track right now, but some day for sure ;)

• edited December 2017

@rickwaugh said:
    @nothumanatall, nice mix, everything sitting well. Some odd tonalities in there, in the improv lines; can't figure out if I like them or not. I do like the changes in tempo and style, gives it a nice feel overall.

Hey, thanks for checking out and your thoughts! Like I mentioned in my post, I tried to make it sound partly jazzy and that led to those odd tonalities (see how vulgar my understanding of jazz is?). Also, I didnt want to edit stuff because I wanted to leave it natural and in the "spirit of that moment" so I just left all those notes like that.
    I also couldn't decide if I liked it this way or not at first but I've grown to like it.
    Appreciate the feedback!

• edited December 2017

Completely OT, but now again I come across a song that blows my mind. This is one of those:

Tonya Harding, my star
    Well this world is a cold one
    But it takes one to know one
    And God only knows what you are

Just some Portland white trash
    You confronted your sorrow
    Like there was no tomorrow
    While the rest of the world only laughed

Triple axel on high
    A delightful disaster
    You jumped farther and faster
    You were always so full of surprises

Are your laces untied?
    What’s the frown on your face for?
    And just what are the skates for now?
    Tell me which is your good side?

Are you lonely at night?
    Do you miss all the glory
    And the mythical story
    Of the Olympian life?

Yamaguchi in red
    She had high rise and roses
    And red-carpet poses
    And her outfit was splendid

Nancy Kerrigan’s charm
    Well she took quite a beating
    So you’re not above cheating
    Can you blame her for crying?

Tonya, you were the brightest
    Yeah you rose from the ashes
    And survived all the crashes
    Wiping the blood from your white tights

Has the world had its fun?
    Yeah they’ll make such a hassle
    And they’ll build you a castle
    Then destroy it when they’re done

Tonya Harding, my friend
    Well this world is a bitch, girl
    Don’t end up in a ditch, girl
    I’ll be watching you close to the end

So fight on as you are
    My American princess
    May God bless you with incense
    You’re my shining American star

Shining American star
    Shining American star
    Shining American star
    Shining American star

• edited December 2017

Hello everyone,
    What feels like a million years ago.(actually 2 & a half.) I manned up & posted my first song in this here mighty club! It was called “Time machine ‘85” & although I was quite proud of it at the time,it has become,I guess,the musical equivalent of that photo my mum likes to show of me in the early 80’s wearing a nasty brown jumper,bowl cut,sandals & basically hot pants!!

For all it’s musical faults, I still loved the melody & the basic lyrical idea so I have rewritten/produced it. :#

Now it’s still far from perfect, but, I’m definitely much happier with this version & even managed to get my 2 year old on it!

For anyone whose interested I’m gonna briefly unlock the old version,which can be found buried at the bottom of my Soundcloud page. :D

All thoughts are welcome & thanks very much for listening. I look forward to chipping in on others creations.

Cheers
    Leo

OLD VERSION

• Haha, I see no error though.

• @rickwaugh Hey Rick, well I have to say that I’m very impressed with this piece of music. The melody is unpredictable & has lots of nice variations. Everything sounds great to me in the mix. You have done an excellent job here mate. Very nice indeed.

My only question would be, could Andre Rieu actually play parts of this piece? It is quite fast in places. Maybe I’m wrong, but sometimes I think that with midi & keyboards we can make instruments do more than they can. Obviously this is fine & encouraged with most music, but with a classical piece?

Anyway, just my thoughts, great stuff! I doth my cap to u sir. :)

• @LostBoy85 said:
    @rickwaugh Hey Rick, well I have to say that I’m very impressed with this piece of music. The melody is unpredictable & has lots of nice variations. Everything sounds great to me in the mix. You have done an excellent job here mate. Very nice indeed.

My only question would be, could Andre Rieu actually play parts of this piece? It is quite fast in places. Maybe I’m wrong, but sometimes I think that with midi & keyboards we can make instruments do more than they can. Obviously this is fine & encouraged with most music, but with a classical piece?

Anyway, just my thoughts, great stuff! I doth my cap to u sir. :)

it's a concern, for sure. My teacher didn't think the speed was so much a problem, violinists like a few crazy runs, apparently. I'm a bit more worried about the double stops. I think they're playable, but I'm no violin player. ;)

Thanks for the listen and the comments.

• @richardyot said:
    Completely OT, but now again I come across a song that blows my mind. This is one of those:

Tonya Harding, my star

Triple axel on high
    A delightful disaster

Are your laces untied?

Are you lonely at night?
    And the mythical story
    Of the Olympian life?

Yamaguchi in red
    And red-carpet poses

Nancy Kerrigan’s charm

Tonya Harding, my friend

So fight on as you are
    My American princess

Shining American star
    Shining American star
    Shining American star
    Shining American star

Wow, this is so wild. This song came up in my Spotify playlist last week and I listened to it three times straight and I thought "the SOTMC would appreciate this one...". Glad you posted it!

• @LostBoy85 Welcome back!

I remember when this song was first posted, it was a very memorable moment here at SOTMC towers - I also remember @JohnnyGoodyear making some very amusing comment about it being number one in the Benelux countries. I always liked the song, thought there was something really fun and quirky about it.

I have to say, listening to the two versions side-by-side I actually prefer the original (sorry, that's probably not what you want to hear), but I really like the energy in the original, and in the original there was an overriding sense of fun but the new version sounds a bit too sentimental to me, and the arrangement gives it a completely different feel that takes all the edge out of it - the original didn't have that Hollywood-ballad sentimental feel to it.

It is a great song with a great melody, it's just the arrangement that's not my bag. But then I would rather listen to the Velvet Underground than Chris deBurgh, so it's a matter of taste.

Your voice sounds great though, and the difference in terms of recording and vocal technique between then and now is huge. No longer recording using the built-in mic in your car, but with a real condenser microphone and everything sounds so professional.

• @richardyot Haha! No no1s for me..but yes, the original is def more fun with my 80’s tv/movie list at the end and quirky synth solo, but the music is crap & has no dynamics. The new versions music isn’t amazing either BUT, it does reflect where I’m at as a songwriter at the mo.
    Thanks for listening mate. B)

• @nothumanatall welcome to the club. Nice jazzy track - very mellow and easy to listen to. Some weird tonalities at the start of the keys playing, like the lead was in a different key to the backing, but a nice piece of what I would term smooth jazz.

• @LostBoy85 said:
    No no1s for me..

It will come. And maybe not just in the Benelux countries...

• @LostBoy85, great tune. I feel that so much. My youngest is 20 now. I feel like I missed so much, and would love to eat it up that time of their lives all over again.

Your vocals are fantastic. Mix is excellent. What library did you use for strings? They sound really nice.

• @richardyot said:

Tonya Harding, my star

Triple axel on high
    A delightful disaster

Are your laces untied?

Are you lonely at night?
    And the mythical story
    Of the Olympian life?

Yamaguchi in red
    And red-carpet poses

Nancy Kerrigan’s charm

Tonya Harding, my friend

So fight on as you are
    My American princess

Shining American star
    Shining American star
    Shining American star
    Shining American star

Wow. What an amazing way to detail that whole thing. Very well done.

• It's great to see all the traffic here in the last couple months! Here's mine for this month...

• Built in BM3
    • Seekbeats
    • DRC
    • Model 15
    • Kauldron
    • Turnado to shake things up a big (beats and the bridge)
    • Guitar reamped with Gadget's Rosario, (and I really like what Audio Damage's QuatroMod - Diffusor did on this)
    • Mixed in Auria with Microwarmer, FabFilters Pro-C2, Pro-L (for mastering), Pro Q2, Pro-R

Drips

VERSE
    Play this game, at your own risk
    Supervision not required
    Bite the old ways, taste a new twist
    Cast Your derision into the fire

PRE-CHORUS
    Some get stuck on the rules
    Hellbent on payin’ dues
    The sun shines brighter
    For the easy rider

CHORUS
    Build your own lemonade stand
    Step off the path through Candyland
    Lay your hard earned money down
    Take a sip, embrace the trip

Which cup hides the magic bean
    Thumbnail rips the tangerine
    Grab it tight, with all your might
    squeeze, squeeze, squeeze until it drip, drip, drips

VERSE
    Tell me your your poison, I’ll mix it right up
    Escape your prison, free your desires
    Break what’s destroying, I’ll fix it right up
    Click your heels, See what transpires

• @Shaken&;Stirred said:
    It's great to see all the traffic here in the last couple months! Here's mine for this month...

• Built in BM3
    • Seekbeats
    • DRC
    • Model 15
    • Kauldron
    • Turnado to shake things up a big (beats and the bridge)
    • Guitar reamped with Gadget's Rosario, (and I really like what Audio Damage's QuatroMod - Diffusor did on this)
    • Mixed in Auria with Microwarmer, FabFilters Pro-C2, Pro-L (for mastering), Pro Q2, Pro-R

Drips

VERSE
    Play this game, at your own risk
    Supervision not required
    Bite the old ways, taste a new twist
    Cast Your derision into the fire

PRE-CHORUS
    Some get stuck on the rules
    Hellbent on payin’ dues
    The sun shines brighter
    For the easy rider

CHORUS
    Build your own lemonade stand
    Step off the path through Candyland
    Lay your hard earned money down
    Take a sip, embrace the trip

Which cup hides the magic bean
    Thumbnail rips the tangerine
    Grab it tight, with all your might
    squeeze, squeeze, squeeze until it drip, drip, drips

VERSE
    Tell me your your poison, I’ll mix it right up
    Escape your prison, free your desires
    Break what’s destroying, I’ll fix it right up
    Click your heels, See what transpires

Awesome, as usual, man!
    Mystical melody on start, and your voice is great
    Your manner of execution reminds me of old SKA singers from my youth :)
    I particularly liked the piece starting with the second minute, cool effects