OT: Observations

24

Comments

  • One of the downsides of being both a musician and a producer who works on other people's music is that I rarely have the time or desire to listen to music for "fun" a lot of time. When it's my music I'm working on, I tend to get into a zone when the writing is going good, and I don't like getting distracted by other ideas until I get mine down.

    When it comes to working on other people's music, well I guess it's like spreadsheets. If you spent all day filling in spreadsheets for your day job, you're probably not too enthused about coming home and doing it some more on your own time.

    Though at the same time I'm lucky in that a lot of the music I work on for people tends to be quite good these days. So I do get enjoyment from that.

  • @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    The more I make music the less I listen to it.

    Useta hate my daily commute. Not no more, now that it's designated listening time. Daughters are expensive, but im glad to have caved on the apple music subscription she kept beggin for- worth every dang penny.

    Plentya traffic in Austin these days...

  • Nothing sparks my creative muse quite like listening to my favorite Beatles/Lennon, Doors, Pink Floyd or Queen albums. I’ll go through phases, focusing on many other artists, old and new, but I always come back to them. always have, always will :)

    I find that I’m a bit more fatigued by long, multi-hour sessions with loud headphones than I used to be (I’m nearly 40) but that is usually dependent on the genre; I can listen to soft-instrumental/classical all day w/ no issue.

  • @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    The more I make music the less I listen to it.

    That’s because you’re working on your music. Not a bad thing!

  • If you have children they will wake you up at unreasonable hours on Christmas day for many years, but then eventually they will become teenagers and you and your partner will get up, warm the croissants, make the coffee, put on the tree lights, admire each others unusual seasonal clothing, listen to the holiday jazz mix and stare at the huge pile of presents while the kid sleeps on obliviously. You will feel older than you were and likely wander off somewhat disappointed to seek distraction and comfort on the internet forum of your choice....

  • @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    If you have children they will wake you up at unreasonable hours on Christmas day for many years, but then eventually they will become teenagers and you and your partner will get up, warm the croissants, make the coffee, put on the tree lights, admire each others unusual seasonal clothing, listen to the holiday jazz mix and stare at the huge pile of presents while the kid sleeps on obliviously. You will feel older than you were and likely wander off somewhat disappointed to seek distraction and comfort on the internet forum of your choice....

    Amen brother, Amen.

    After midnight on Christmas Day here in Oz (but being born in the UK I reckon I get at least 9 hours extension to whatever festive occasion I choose should I decide I can stay awake long enough).

    I wish you and yours happy and safe holidays and, for that matter, anyone that reads this.

    Been a big year in iOS music making ...

  • @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    If you have children they will wake you up at unreasonable hours on Christmas day for many years, but then eventually they will become teenagers and you and your partner will get up, warm the croissants, make the coffee, put on the tree lights, admire each others unusual seasonal clothing, listen to the holiday jazz mix and stare at the huge pile of presents while the kid sleeps on obliviously. You will feel older than you were and likely wander off somewhat disappointed to seek distraction and comfort on the internet forum of your choice....

    :)

    Happy Christmas Johnny...

  • I generally only listen to music (using noise cancelling headphones) when my neighbours are noisy.

    I listen a lot!

  • Found myself doing more visual art this year partly because it afforded an opportunity to listen to music. When I’d go back to my own music making it was like ugh can’t listen to music (others) while doing this. Weird.

  • The greatest thing that all religions seem to miss is the ability to see from other religion's (or non) standpoint.

  • @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    If you have children they will wake you up at unreasonable hours on Christmas day for many years, but then eventually they will become teenagers and you and your partner will get up, warm the croissants, make the coffee, put on the tree lights, admire each others unusual seasonal clothing, listen to the holiday jazz mix and stare at the huge pile of presents while the kid sleeps on obliviously. You will feel older than you were and likely wander off somewhat disappointed to seek distraction and comfort on the internet forum of your choice....

    There is a season...

  • edited December 2017 Vote Up0

    Me too !
    The longer I make music, the less I want to listen to other peoples music...
    and now I mainly make art , or work to film and video.

  • [Quote of almost any day]

    “First learn to be a craftsperson; it won’t keep you from being a genius.”
    Eugène Delacroix

  • The more i listen to music the less ignorance i hear, the more ignorance i hear the more music i listen to.

  • @kobamoto said:
    The more i listen to music the less ignorance i hear, the more ignorance i hear the more music i listen to.

    If ignorance is bliss, there should be more happy people. (Victor Cousin)

  • edited January 6 Vote Up0

    Fourth shark found frozen from bitter cold off Cape Cod

    In related news: The MonomoySTEMinist Club will be hosting a demonstration of a brain removal from a thresher shark that washed up in Cape Cod Bay this past week. This will happen Thursday, January 11th during Jawsome A&B in Ms. Flint's room.

  • For the want of having nothing else to do (how glorious) I found myself fiddling on the desktop with a thing called Obscuriam.

    Erm. It's unbelievably good. I mean, I have all the iOS Sugar-Bytes stuff, where the hell is this? Is there some technical reason that can be thought of? I was fiddling about for no more than five minutes and just stopped and started to laugh at how good it is. Completely changed my dial setting about what's next.

  • I must have total quiet to listen to the voices inside my head :smiley:

  • For me the balance of listening and creating is totally bonkers. Before the kids I used to produce en mass and listen en mass. Now silence is gold. When I'm tired and not inspired I go and do other stuff. The balance between listening and creating does change in proportion but by no means is of the level it once was.

    One more thing: when I had one guitar I spend way more time playing then now with my studio full of instruments and technology. Definitely waiting for when the kids grow up!

  • @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    For the want of having nothing else to do (how glorious) I found myself fiddling on the desktop with a thing called Obscuriam.

    Erm. It's unbelievably good. I mean, I have all the iOS Sugar-Bytes stuff, where the hell is this? Is there some technical reason that can be thought of? I was fiddling about for no more than five minutes and just stopped and started to laugh at how good it is. Completely changed my dial setting about what's next.

    I want this one, and the new Aparillo synth. I’d buy them without any hesitation whatsoever if they went iOS, I reckon it’ll be years though, if ever.

    My mate bought the SB bundle a couple of days ago. I haven’t got that amount of cash to spend, but if the single products are included in the next 50% sale I might have to dig into the new roof pot.

  • I think listening to music inspires me to make my own. The issue I have is that the more apps I have, the less music I seem to create with them, so I am deliberately trying a “less is more” tactic by focusing on just a few apps.

  • edited January 7 Vote Up0

    It's interesting that others have this experience.

    I almost never listen to others' music any more.

    I am a collector of generative apps and software and mainly fiddle around in software modulars at the moment. If I want something on in the background while I am working I usually fire something ambient up, start it off, and visit it every few minutes to tweak a few parameters, switch a sample, change the delay or reverb software etc..

    I never save anything but start afresh each time. I can usually get something I like going in 10 or so minutes and then I can listen to it for a few hours with the aforementioned tweaks every few minutes.

    It's on very quietly and doesn't disturb my thought processes.

  • @MonzoPro said:

    @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    For the want of having nothing else to do (how glorious) I found myself fiddling on the desktop with a thing called Obscuriam.

    Erm. It's unbelievably good. I mean, I have all the iOS Sugar-Bytes stuff, where the hell is this? Is there some technical reason that can be thought of? I was fiddling about for no more than five minutes and just stopped and started to laugh at how good it is. Completely changed my dial setting about what's next.

    I want this one, and the new Aparillo synth. I’d buy them without any hesitation whatsoever if they went iOS, I reckon it’ll be years though, if ever.

    My mate bought the SB bundle a couple of days ago. I haven’t got that amount of cash to spend, but if the single products are included in the next 50% sale I might have to dig into the new roof pot.

    I think you know I am a devotee of Egoist and I am going to work hard here to not fall into Roosevelt's Trap but playing with Obscuriam made me realize I might have fallen in love with the wrong sister.

    I also recognize that we all have a sound or a vibration in our ears that strikes us as something like that's my music, what I want to make and in the (I suppose) Radiohead Services (like the Heston Services of my youth but different) everything I fiddle with here screams 'use me and write a song right now'....the good news is that it has a very simple box for recording right then and there a specific number of bars which can then be taken away and incorporated.

    Would love to know why it hasn't come to iOS.

    cc @sugarbytes

  • @JohnnyGoodyear said:

    I think you know I am a devotee of Egoist and I am going to work hard here to not fall into Roosevelt's Trap but playing with Obscuriam made me realize I might have fallen in love with the wrong sister.

    I also recognize that we all have a sound or a vibration in our ears that strikes us as something like that's my music, what I want to make and in the (I suppose) Radiohead Services (like the Heston Services of my youth but different) everything I fiddle with here screams 'use me and write a song right now'....the good news is that it has a very simple box for recording right then and there a specific number of bars which can then be taken away and incorporated.

    As well as a new roof, any cash we can find behind the sofa is ging to have to go on a new PC - this one is falling apart around my ears, otherwise I'd be all over this and Aparillo.

    Are you using a demo? If so what are the limitations? Maybe I can satisfy a few cravings by mucking about with that, while this PC's still working.

  • @MonzoPro said:

    @JohnnyGoodyear said:

    I think you know I am a devotee of Egoist and I am going to work hard here to not fall into Roosevelt's Trap but playing with Obscuriam made me realize I might have fallen in love with the wrong sister.

    I also recognize that we all have a sound or a vibration in our ears that strikes us as something like that's my music, what I want to make and in the (I suppose) Radiohead Services (like the Heston Services of my youth but different) everything I fiddle with here screams 'use me and write a song right now'....the good news is that it has a very simple box for recording right then and there a specific number of bars which can then be taken away and incorporated.

    As well as a new roof, any cash we can find behind the sofa is ging to have to go on a new PC - this one is falling apart around my ears, otherwise I'd be all over this and Aparillo.

    Are you using a demo? If so what are the limitations? Maybe I can satisfy a few cravings by mucking about with that, while this PC's still working.

    It's 99 bucks here. Which made me realize again how relatively cheap iOS apps are, not as regards individual cost so much (although of course that), but more the ability to try lots of things out/make mistakes, desktop prices leave far less room for bitter regret etc :) BUT none here over this one. It's just sounds like me. Or a version of me anyway. Some good vids here:

    https://sugar-bytes.de/obscurium

  • edited January 7 Vote Up0

    @JohnnyGoodyear said:

    @MonzoPro said:

    @JohnnyGoodyear said:

    I think you know I am a devotee of Egoist and I am going to work hard here to not fall into Roosevelt's Trap but playing with Obscuriam made me realize I might have fallen in love with the wrong sister.

    I also recognize that we all have a sound or a vibration in our ears that strikes us as something like that's my music, what I want to make and in the (I suppose) Radiohead Services (like the Heston Services of my youth but different) everything I fiddle with here screams 'use me and write a song right now'....the good news is that it has a very simple box for recording right then and there a specific number of bars which can then be taken away and incorporated.

    As well as a new roof, any cash we can find behind the sofa is ging to have to go on a new PC - this one is falling apart around my ears, otherwise I'd be all over this and Aparillo.

    Are you using a demo? If so what are the limitations? Maybe I can satisfy a few cravings by mucking about with that, while this PC's still working.

    It's 99 bucks here. Which made me realize again how relatively cheap iOS apps are, not as regards individual cost so much (although of course that), but more the ability to try lots of things out/make mistakes, desktop prices leave far less room for bitter regret etc :) BUT none here over this one. It's just sounds like me. Or a version of me anyway. Some good vids here:

    https://sugar-bytes.de/obscurium

    I'll have a look at those.

    I checked the last sale they had, but Obscurium wasn't discounted (probably as it was a new one). They had a sale last Easter though with 30 - 50% off, so if they discount Aparillo or Obscurium this time I'll try and put a few tenners away for them. Less than fifty quid each for those fellers isn't that far from app prices these days...

    I'd love to hear Obscurium driving Aparillo, that would be a thing to behold.

  • edited January 10 Vote Up0

    Couldn't listen to the whole thing, but the first minute is UNCANNILY like 'Creep'. Any lawyers here? Lana Del Ray has said that 'she' offered Radiohead 40% but they want a 100% so it's going to court? Doesn't the offer rather undercut her position?

    https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jan/08/radiohead-lana-del-rey-creep

    Inspiration, eh?

    EDIT/ADDITION:

    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/09/arts/music/lana-del-rey-radiohead-copyright.html

  • edited January 8 Vote Up0

    @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Couldn't listen to the whole thing, but the first minute is UNCANNILY like 'Creep'. Any lawyers here? Lana Del Ray has said that 'she' offered Radiohead 40% but they want a 100% so it's going to court? Doesn't the offer rather undercut her position?

    https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jan/08/radiohead-lana-del-rey-creep

    Inspiration, eh?

    I really like Lana Del Rey, she's a fine singer and songwriter IMO, and I would wager this is an accident, she's obviously heard Creep at some point in her life, and probably subconsciously lifted the melody. There's no denying it's identical.

    It's worth noting that Radiohead themselves were sued (successfully) by the Hollies because the middle eight melody of Creep is similar to The Air That I Breathe.

    I think 100% is a bit steep, but that's what happens when you get the lawyers involved. Richard Ashcroft lost all the music publishing to Jagger/Richards over Bittersweet Symphony, and that was for using a sample, the melody was all his and yet he still lost the rights.

    At least this lawsuit makes more sense than the Blurred Lines one, where there was no similarity in the vocal melody or music to Marvin Gaye's Got To Give It Up, it just used a similar rhythm and "feel".

  • @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Couldn't listen to the whole thing, but the first minute is UNCANNILY like 'Creep'. Any lawyers here? Lana Del Ray has said that 'she' offered Radiohead 40% but they want a 100% so it's going to court? Doesn't the offer rather undercut her position?

    https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jan/08/radiohead-lana-del-rey-creep

    Inspiration, eh?

    This is basically her version of Creep. 100% no less. I'm surprised at all with team Radiohead stance. Complete rip off. It makes Pharell and Thicke look like a pair of angels on the firmament.

  • edited January 8 Vote Up0

    The more music I listen to, the more it sneaks in into my own stuff.
    It’s dangerous.
    That chord progressions I was so proud of, I found out a month later where I stole it. :o

Sign In or Register to comment.