Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SNAP Drum Machine by Reactable - Demo & Tutorial for the iPad

Here is a demo of SNAP, this thing has so much potential, it could do with Audiobus support for a start so you could blast it through some effects

Comments

• Thanks again for getting up a demo so quick for something newly released. On the positive side it has LINK and on the negative side this would be ideal for iPhones but unfortunately it's so far iPad only

• edited November 2017

Yeah, this is such a good idea. But, saving should not be an IAP, and it really needs IAA and AU.

BTW, it does already have swing. Accessed via the metronome icon, strangely.

• MMMMMAAAAAGGGGGGNNNEEEEEETTTTSSSS

:) I love it. Snap is fun too. Thank you Doug!

• Been playing with this again today, and am finding it frustrating that I can’t run it in AUM.

• midi in/out an iap?..... meh

• It’s fun, hanged twice in ten mins whenever trying to delete a snapshot using its pull down tab but. Needs some individual volumes ideally.

• @kobamoto said:
    midi in/out an iap?..... meh

Yup. Not great IMHO.

As Doug says, it has so much potential, but this kind of IAP rankles.

• Having said that, used as a sequencer for say eleastic drums = drama

• @ALB said:

>

I didn’t mind so much that Midi in/out was an IAP. As casual users won’t need it. But paying the same again just to save stuff is not so friendly.

What this potentially great app needs is an infusion of Brambos: give customers what they want, and we’ll buy.

• @Zen210507 said:

@ALB said:

>

I didn’t mind so much that Midi in/out was an IAP. As casual users won’t need it. But paying the same again just to save stuff is not so friendly.

What this potentially great app needs is an infusion of Brambos: give customers what they want, and we’ll buy.

Can play the duck's arse on this: Make it free so you can see. If you like it enough you want to use it/save stuff then throw us a couple of bucks. And you, over there with the boffin specs, you want midi? No problem, a lot of folks don't, but here, for a couple of bucks all yours.

Fair enough.

• fair enough... but when cats like this ' the reactable devs' who you know know better start reaching below the surface of the basic standards I get salty, so I'm going out for fish n chips instead.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Zen210507 said:

@ALB said:

>

Can play the duck's arse on this: Make it free so you can see. If you like it enough you want to use it/save stuff then throw us a couple of bucks. And you, over there with the boffin specs, you want midi? No problem, a lot of folks don't, but here, for a couple of bucks all yours.

Fair enough.

Sure - a couple of bucks for a basic feature is not so bad, but 4 bucks apiece for both saving and midi (8 bucks total) is, I think, too much for what this is. Hope they have something exciting in the pipeline to justify the 8 dollar up-and-running cost.

• @ALB said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@Zen210507 said:

@ALB said:

>

Fair enough.

Sure - a couple of bucks for a basic feature is not so bad, but 4 bucks apiece for both saving and midi (8 bucks total) is, I think, too much for what this is. Hope they have something exciting in the pipeline to justify the 8 dollar up-and-running cost.

I think we mostly agree; I did/do see it as a small bet and I hope it pays a small dividend :) We'll see....still having fun with it as is...but we need some more connections to the outside world....

• edited November 2017

Considering how many devs have been smacked around the head here for going to market with zero connectivity, Snap is getting a lot of goodwill.

The innovations are great fun, and the Midi out - if a bit flaky - is doing what others keep promising, but never get around to delivering. So top marks for that.

However, the release version is crippleware. Basic functionality. Tiny amount of kits and presets. Can’t record into anything or apply effects, can’t try one of the main features without buying, and can’t even save a pattern. These issues need fixing, and quite fast. Otherwise the enthusiasm and goodwil is going to fade, as the next app comes over the horizon.

Quite why devs don’t take more inspiration from the Brambos way, I don’t know. First we get notice of something brewing, then get to give input as to possible development, then a teaser video, and finally a fully working app arrives, no half measures no disappointments. Whatever bugs remain squashed flat in quick time.

• Thanks for the video Doug. What you said about the live aspect of this app is the reason I am enjoying this one.

I'm hoping to see Audiobus, some more melodic kits and expanded midi capabilities. There is already a promise that more controller integration is on the way, looks like you can access all the controls via Maschine Jam and it's bi-directional control, they could set this up in Push like a mini drum rack and the launchpad and nanokontrol would also be good candidates.

Updates were regular during beta, hoping that continues and we get some extra features!

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:
    Updates were regular during beta, hoping that continues and we get some extra features!

>

Connectivity being number one.

There must be loads of music makers trying this out, getting inspiring results, and NOT being able to include them in projects.

Obviously, the more Snap is used, and those results made public, the more free publicity. Indeed, the best Snap could have at this stage, is a community that likes what it does and spreads the word.

• This dev knows all about AB connectivity and Link--see Rotor for instance. My guess is that they are getting an MVP out to see what kind of interest they get and from which market segment.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    This dev knows all about AB connectivity and Link--see Rotor for instance. My guess is that they are getting an MVP out to see what kind of interest they get and from which market segment.

Speaking of marketing, I couldn’t help but notice visual similarities to Groovebox. Not a bad thing - but it immediately sprung to mind.

• @ALB said:
    Speaking of marketing, I couldn’t help but notice visual similarities to Groovebox. Not a bad thing - but it immediately sprung to mind.

>

Groovebox integrates with AUM very well. Just had that playing with a whole bunch of Odessa, plus other Brambos apps, and one Viking.

Bringing Snap to that party, especially as an AU would be really good fun.

• A different perspective - demos on desktop computer are save disabled frequently, but letting you try the product first. This particular app doesn't interest me but why such negativity about a free demo when that's been asked for on ios so many times? If you had to pay for a save disabled version, then yes, no good, but thw way reactable is doing this doesn't strike me as a problem at all but a step forward. Imagine auria for free but save disabled, or any of the expensive synths, etc.

Just my perspective, ymmv

• @mrufino1 said:
    A different perspective - demos on desktop computer are save disabled frequently, but letting you try the product first. This particular app doesn't interest me but why such negativity about a free demo when that's been asked for on ios so many times? If you had to pay for a save disabled version, then yes, no good, but thw way reactable is doing this doesn't strike me as a problem at all but a step forward. Imagine auria for free but save disabled, or any of the expensive synths, etc.

Yep, agree. This is a smart way to market an app.

• @mrufino1 said:
    A different perspective - demos on desktop computer are save disabled frequently, but letting you try the product first. This particular app doesn't interest me but why such negativity about a free demo when that's been asked for on ios so many times? If you had to pay for a save disabled version, then yes, no good, but thw way reactable is doing this doesn't strike me as a problem at all but a step forward. Imagine auria for free but save disabled, or any of the expensive synths, etc.

Yeah, it’s not a bad way to market this at all, I just wish that it did a bit more for 8 dollars. On the positive side, there is room for improvement.

• @mrufino1 said:

Precisely.

• edited November 2017

@mrufino1 said:

This particular app doesn't interest me but why such negativity about a free demo

What negativity is that? Pretty much everyone posting has been saying what a good gizmo this is, praising its innovations, and suggesting improvements.

Simply saying that stuff like saving should be free - this is IOS, the desktop is not relevant - or commenting on what was not available on launch isn’t negative. It’s honesty, from prospective customers. Companies hire firms to gauge such things. Here, it’s free!

Short of having a developer arse kissing fest, Snap could not have received a better more enthusiastic response here, unless it’d arrived with full connectivity.

• @Zen210507 said:

@mrufino1 said:

This particular app doesn't interest me but why such negativity about a free demo

What negativity is that? Pretty much everyone posting has been saying what a good gizmo this is, praising its innovations, and suggesting improvements.

Simply saying that stuff like saving should be free - this is IOS, the desktop is not relevant - or commenting on what was not available on launch isn’t negative. It’s honesty, from prospective customers. Companies hire firms to gauge such things. Here, it’s free!

Short of having a developer arse kissing fest, Snap could not have received a better more enthusiastic response here, unless it’d arrived with full connectivity.

Doubleplus this.

• @Zen210507 said:

@mrufino1 said:

Yup.

• @Zen210507 said:

@mrufino1 said:

I never said there was negativity about the app itself, I’m saying that releasing it free and then paying to be able to save projects is a pretty standard demo procedure on the computer (reason’s demo was always like this and I know there are others), and since iOS doesn’t allow proper “ demos” this is a way to do that. Rather than focusing on the fact that they are having you pay for saving, looking at it as a way to demonstrate the self contained features of the app to see if you like the work flow, then paying for it to integrate better if you do.

I’m also not negative on the app, just saying it doesn’t interest me much, but drum machines typically don’t, so it’s nothing against this one.

• edited November 2017

@mrufino1 said:
    I’m also not negative on the app, just saying it doesn’t interest me much, but drum machines typically don’t, so it’s nothing against this one.

>

If you are not interested, why waste your time and ours commenting.

Quoting the standard demo procedure for computers is irrelevant when dealing with an entirely different platform. It’s like trying to apply a system common in Russia to America. Lots of us here like Snap, and want it to succeed. Discussing it in candid terms is only intended to help the developers.

• edited November 2017

@Zen210507 said:

@mrufino1 said:

>

Quoting the standard demo procedure for computers is irrelevant to when dealing with an entirely different platform. It’s like trying to apply a system common in Russia to America. Lots of us here like Snap, and want it to succeed. Discussing it in candid terms is only intended to help the developers.

I think you’re not understanding what I’m saying but I’ll refrain from commenting further as it’s not productive and my intent is definitely not argumentative.

• @Zen210507 said:

@mrufino1 said:

>

Harsh.