Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Sequence long release notes; school me

Can u please give me tips on sequencing long sustain/released notes when using a sequencer (ambient style). Also how to avoid abrupt note cutoffs when it loops; Note length, bpm and what exacty is ‘tie’?
Thx

Comments

• Note length or Gate time will allow you to specify the length a note can play in most sequencers. Each sequencer is different but if there’s an option for Gate or Length try adjusting that until you find something which sounds right.

Which sequencer are you using? Can you specify different step lengths per instrument in the sequencer you are using? If you’re using Modstep or BM3 it should be pretty straight forward.

• Or just use a long release on the synth patch you are sequencing? Then it doesn’t matter so much how long your notes are in the sequencer.

Or am I misunderstanding?

• @breilly said:
    Can u please give me tips on sequencing long sustain/released notes when using a sequencer (ambient style). Also how to avoid abrupt note cutoffs when it loops; Note length, bpm and what exacty is ‘tie’?
    Thx

When using long notes, it is comparable to using a "Hold" type of function on a keyboard. The key is seen as pressed, so the note sounds while the key stays pressed. Once you stop pressing, it will stop. So if you hold a note for a the whole loop, it will stop and re-trigger when the loop loops back around.

If you use a long release on your sound, it is comparable to pressing the sustain pedal. The key does not need to stay pressed. The sustain pedal makes it easy to control release time by timing press and release of the pedal. but if you use release time in your sound design, the notes will all sustain the same length of time, starting when you stop pressing the key (or the note ends in your sequencer) and lasting as long as the release time setting tells it to.
    It could still sustain past the loop point, but you will probably still hear it re-trigger when the loop starts over. If your synth is set to mono and not poly, it will probably cut off the release time as well when the new note starts with the loop.

"Tied notes" are meant to be held for the sum of the duration of the tied notes. Basically, you add the the values of the tied notes and use the total as your note length. So if you have 2 tied 1/8th notes, you hold for 1/4 note.

• Some sequencers (like my own) allow you to latch notes - it plays an unending note until you want it to stop. Good for drones and ambient notes filling a long song section.

• @midiSequencer said:
    Some sequencers (like my own) allow you to latch notes - it plays an unending note until you want it to stop. Good for drones and ambient notes filling a long song section.

Aw yeah! I love me some Quantum! :)

• @CracklePot said:

@midiSequencer said:
    Some sequencers (like my own) allow you to latch notes - it plays an unending note until you want it to stop. Good for drones and ambient notes filling a long song section.

MidiSequencer too - its attracting a lot of people who want something simpler... My next apps will be simpler for sure..

• edited November 2017

@midiSequencer said:

@CracklePot said:

@midiSequencer said:

...My next apps will be simpler for sure..

Say it ain't so!

• @midiSequencer said:

@CracklePot said:

@midiSequencer said:

MidiSequencer too - its attracting a lot of people who want something simpler... My next apps will be simpler for sure..

Any hints, clues, or teasers?

• Sometimes you’ll get notes that prematurely cutoff due to the synth running up against its polyphony limit. If it needs to steal resources from a long sustain to fire another note it will cut off the previous note in order to do so. So you could have everything setup correclty with your envelopes, etc as mentioned above but still experience notes being cutoff. It really depends on the synth you’re using and how many voices it’s being asked to play, Most can handle it just fine. But keep this in mind if you’re still getting chopped notes. Try reducing the amount of voices in the patch, or try shortening the release time.

• @CracklePot said:

@midiSequencer said:

@CracklePot said:

@midiSequencer said:

Any hints, clues, or teasers?

not yet but I'm liking more generative music now....

• @midiSequencer said:

Yes, please! :wink: lol

BTW, I thought I wouldn't need Quantum, but I bought it anyway because, you're awesome lol
    I end up firing it much more than I used MidiSequencer, so that's nice. :smile:

And lately i've been using it a lot for ambient stuff with a main slow sequence and faster sequences that fire up patches with slow release and with slower velocities (Mainly Animoog, Model 15, FM4 DXi, and Syntronik)

• edited November 2017

@senhorlampada said:

@midiSequencer said:

Yes, please! :wink: lol

BTW, I thought I wouldn't need Quantum, but I bought it anyway because, you're awesome lol
    I end up firing it much more than I used MidiSequencer, so that's nice. :smile:

And lately i've been using it a lot for ambient stuff with a main slow sequence and faster sequences that fire up patches with slow release and with slower velocities (Mainly Animoog, Model 15, FM4 DXi, and Syntronik)

thx :) Midisequencer is still useful to learn on, but not really being extended anymore. I use it mainly to automate Quantum via NRPN.

Would love to hear your efforts liking anything dark ambient or industrial at the moment. Quantum has a diverse set of tempos controllable at four levels Song BPM x Sequence/Part Tempo Division x Step Tempo Division x Ratchets Tempo Division.

Also let me know of any enhancements - Quantum is not all my own design work and I'm happy to add useful features suggested by users (e.g. next patch has randomise on selection).

• @midiSequencer said:

Would love to hear your efforts liking anything dark ambient or industrial at the moment. Quantum has a diverse set of tempos controllable at four levels Song BPM x Sequence/Part Tempo Division x Step Tempo Division x Ratchets Tempo Division.

I've been getting familiarized with ratchets, chords and other ornaments lately. Can get some really nice results. :smile:

Also let me know of any enhancements - Quantum is not all my own design work and I'm happy to add useful features suggested by users (e.g. next patch has randomise on selection).

Nothing that comes to mind right now, but I have a doubt if something can be acomplished and I couldn't find out how. Let's say I play some chords with my keyboard, Cubasis, Chordion, ChordPolyPad etc. Is there some way to make Quantum work as an arpeggiator for those inputed notes?

Sorry if I derailed the discussion lol :lol:

• @senhorlampada said:

@midiSequencer said:

I've been getting familiarized with ratchets, chords and other ornaments lately. Can get some really nice results. :smile:

Nothing that comes to mind right now, but I have a doubt if something can be acomplished and I couldn't find out how. Let's say I play some chords with my keyboard, Cubasis, Chordion, ChordPolyPad etc. Is there some way to make Quantum work as an arpeggiator for those inputed notes?

Sorry if I derailed the discussion lol :lol:

Not in real time, but its something I'm looking to add. At the moment you can record chords into steps & play them back as a strum or record single steps and play back as an arpeggio. Quantum is the most detailed arpeggiator there is (64 steps you can draw the arpeggio pattern) so it makes sense to hitch up this power with apps like Chordion that play chords & notes I could work with.

• Thanks for all the replies. I find that real time recording is just what i needed; gotta love simplicity.

• @midiSequencer said:

Not in real time, but its something I'm looking to add. At the moment you can record chords into steps & play them back as a strum or record single steps and play back as an arpeggio. Quantum is the most detailed arpeggiator there is (64 steps you can draw the arpeggio pattern) so it makes sense to hitch up this power with apps like Chordion that play chords & notes I could work with.

Thanks for the idea! Gonna give it a try :smiley:

@breilly said:
    Thanks for all the replies. I find that real time recording is just what i needed; gotta love simplicity.

Indeed! :lol: But if you gotta give it a try with a sequencer, really try out MidiSequencer or Quantum. They're really great

• @midiSequencer said:

I see the latch setting but I can’t get it to drone as you describe. Doesn’t seem to make a difference when selected for a given note. Is there another setting to activate this that I’m missing?

• edited November 2017

@skiphunt said:

@midiSequencer said:

I see the latch setting but I can’t get it to drone as you describe. Doesn’t seem to make a difference when selected for a given note. Is there another setting to activate this that I’m missing?

Make sure you pick a synth patch with a sustain part (e.g. an organ sound) that only stops when it gets a midi note off.
    If latched, note labels in Quantum (&midiSequencer) turn red.
    Just tried it - it does work.

• @midiSequencer said:

@skiphunt said:

@midiSequencer said:

Make sure you pick a synth patch with a sustain part (e.g. an organ sound) that only stops when it gets a midi note off.
    If latched, note labels in Quantum (&midiSequencer) turn red.
    Just tried it - it does work.

Ah, that's it. Explains why I wasn't getting consistent results with various patches. thx