Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Should i save every ipa-file before starting to update an app?

App economics is a bit complicate - for the devolopers, and for the customer also. As a customer we usually excpect a better feature set (and: less errors) when we decide to update an app.

I have learned: This is a wrong expectation. Sometimes an update will destroy important features of an app - where you have spent some money for it. So, saving each ipa-file as a backup seem to be helpful to avoid this situtation.

Is there a better method? Do you backup your ipa-files?

Comments

• How do you do it? I have seen it mentioned but never actually figured out how to back those up. And how do you use them to re-install an app? Anybody up for a brief how-to? (Maybe there is one already, haven't checked. If so, a link would be very helpful).

• You don't need it.

If you open iTunes and update your apps, the new version is stored in your specified HD folder while the previous version goes to the recycle bin (Windows O.S. workflow)

So what I do is bringing them back from the recycle bin and at least keep a backup the two lastest updates of the most impoirtant apps to me (which are close to the 100%).

If I need to reinstall a different version, I use iFunbox.

• edited November 2017

This is what I mean (done right now):

Updated to 1.8, v1.5 is gone. Now I can recover the v1.5 from the recycled bin.

1.png 49.5K
    2.png 57.8K
  • My recycled bin usually is almost empty - so, this is not the right backup method for me. A backup like time machine (for OSX computer) would be a good idea. Maybe Apple should sell the time machine for Windows computer (without the local snapshot "feature", please), too...

@ CracklePot

It is surprisingly easy:

• go to your iTunes folder on your computer (for Windows computer: usually within the music folder - same for OSX)
    • locate iTunes Media -> Mobile applications

Here you are!

small Remark:

The ipa-files can only be used with your Apple ID (which was used for downloading them) - renaming of your Apple ID wouldn't be a good idea if you want to re-use your ipa-files.

• The worst thing about my "windows" workflow is that, if you don't checking for updates often, you can miss some of them, I mean, I could miss (following my own example) v1.6 and v1.7 updates (if they had been released at some point).

• @Looping_Loddar said:
    My recycled bin usually is almost empty - so, this is not the right backup method for me. A backup like time machine (for OSX computer) would be a good idea. Maybe Apple should sell the time machine for Windows computer (without the local snapshot "feature", please), too...

@ CracklePot

It is surprisingly easy:

• go to your iTunes folder on your computer (for Windows computer: usually within the music folder - same for OSX)
    • locate iTunes Media -> Mobile applications

Here you are!

small Remark:

The ipa-files can only be used with your Apple ID (which was used for downloading them) - renaming of your Apple ID wouldn't be a good idea if you want to re-use your ipa-files.

Ah-ha. Thank you for sharing that information. I lost a few apps when they disappeared from the Appstore.

• edited November 2017

@Looping_Loddar thanks a million - on my Win-XP box I found an old JamUp/Bias ipa and transferred it to my Air-2 to replace the current version B)
    ps: needs deeper research - app works, but not as intended :o

• Doing some guesswork here. Probably this will not work on the latest iTunes version right? Where apple removed the apps section.

If the apps are not available anymore (Alchemy, Hexaglyphics, rebirth), a device backup would work?

cheers and thanks for the info, guys

• @senhorlampada said:
    Doing some guesswork here. Probably this will not work on the latest iTunes version right? Where apple removed the apps section.

If the apps are not available anymore (Alchemy, Hexaglyphics, rebirth), a device backup would work?

cheers and thanks for the info, guys

A device backup would NOT work anymore! Your backup just would try to start trying to download apps from the iTunes online store - and not from your local backup.

This is a change and as a change a result of the great, superduper "wireless-strategy" of Apple. They believe, that wireless is the future, for example bluetooth audio with its dropouts, quality and latency issues - and that there is abolutely no need to download apps before installing them on your iOS device. Wireless, yeah!

Sadly, lots of big companies are dissatisfied with that. As a result Apple has created a special iTunes 12.6.3-version, which is compatible with iPhone 8 and 8 plus. You can download it here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208079

• @Looping_Loddar said:

Sadly, lots of big companies are dissatisfied with that. As a result Apple has created a special iTunes 12.6.3-version, which is compatible with iPhone 8 and 8 plus. You can download it here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208079

Thanks, mate
    gonna check it out.

Having paid for these apps or IAPs within them makes me feel like a fool now for the lost suppor :expressionless: