Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Ex OP-1 user looking for iOS app advice

2»

Comments

• The joy of the OP-1 is that every time you turn it on, it's ready to make music. Nothing to load, few choices to make. The ipad gives you a ludicrous amount of options, so you need an iron will to prevent choice paralysis setting in. Every time I turn on the OP-1, I have some sort of musical result within minutes. Not necessarily with the ipad.
    With that caveat out of the way, I'd echo those recommending gadget. It's very fast to get things going, the synths are terrific, the samplers are fun, and it has a magic sauce that binds everything together in a mix. It's a wonderful bit of kit.
    However, gadget is sandboxed. That's not a problem if getting stuff done is your priority, and you can work around its limitations (which are far fewer than the OP-1's).
    I'd be guided by your ability to focus. Step outside the sandbox and there are wonderful apps like Nanostudio 2, which does everything except audio tracks. Any app like NS2 that allow you to use AUV3s (unlike gadget) open up hundreds of great apps to use in conjunction. AUM is a beautifully designed app that allows you to build your own modular sequencing and recording environment (and is easy to use).
    I have too many apps. I'm going the other way, into hardware with baked-in limitations, and no youtube, audiobus forum, Crossy Road etc.
    NS2, AUM etc if you can resist the rabbit hole. Gadget if not.

• @iansainsbury said:
    The joy of the OP-1 is that every time you turn it on, it's ready to make music. Nothing to load, few choices to make. The ipad gives you a ludicrous amount of options, so you need an iron will to prevent choice paralysis setting in. Every time I turn on the OP-1, I have some sort of musical result within minutes. Not necessarily with the ipad.
    With that caveat out of the way, I'd echo those recommending gadget. It's very fast to get things going, the synths are terrific, the samplers are fun, and it has a magic sauce that binds everything together in a mix. It's a wonderful bit of kit.
    However, gadget is sandboxed. That's not a problem if getting stuff done is your priority, and you can work around its limitations (which are far fewer than the OP-1's).
    I'd be guided by your ability to focus. Step outside the sandbox and there are wonderful apps like Nanostudio 2, which does everything except audio tracks. Any app like NS2 that allow you to use AUV3s (unlike gadget) open up hundreds of great apps to use in conjunction. AUM is a beautifully designed app that allows you to build your own modular sequencing and recording environment (and is easy to use).
    I have too many apps. I'm going the other way, into hardware with baked-in limitations, and no youtube, audiobus forum, Crossy Road etc.
    NS2, AUM etc if you can resist the rabbit hole. Gadget if not.

+1

• @reasOne said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@reasOne said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@reasOne said:
    erik makes cool op like synths. they are colorful fun and just remind me of when i had op1

Ever miss it?

sometimes now that i know more about synthesis i feel like i could do better with it... i got it while making sample based music but got bored with that..and started playing with the op synths and was like hmmm there has to be better synths out there than this... the op is just too limited so i sold it for my ipad pro...id say i miss the actual op as a little jam machine but i never liked the workflow so wouldn’t get it again..ios just has so much more to offer with less hassle

Interesting. Thanks for the response. I'd say from your workflow comments you made the right choice for you :)

i think so, for the price i def have a lot more now than the op1 can offer... how about you do you use one?

As with so much else I am a (happy) novice. I've had it for long enough to realize it will entertain me. Not a be and end all, but a weapon in the war, for sure. I also love the design, the build and the fact when I start to fly around the place again I will enjoy being able to bring it with and play it anywhere. My ambitions for it are fairly limited, but if in a year's time I have pulled out some happy accidents that I move into other software and take full credit for the apparent creativity it must have taken, I will be more than happy :)