Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What's your opinion about apple AIRpods (latencywise)?

What's your opinion about apple AIRpods (latencywise)?
I have never used them, however considering using them after buying iphone8

I have my doubts.. especially while using touch instruments on ios

Comments

• Have no idea as to the latency, but if they're using standard BLE transmission that can lead to buffer problems in various apps including AudioBus. So if you want to listen to music, that's fine, for music creation, that maybe problematic.

• I always use wired headphones for music. I’ll check the AirPods though.

• Apple has this proprietary W1 bluetooth chip which apparently reduces latency

• Getting intrigued after I heard Reggie Watts say the sound quality (accurate) on these has him reaching for them over other expensive buds he owns. Sure he was talking about casual listening not situations where latency is important tho. Pods that ship with iphone fall out of my ears every few minutes, hate that and the lack of isolation, but maybe should get used to them for the inevitable VR face pod.

• I have a pair of Apple Beats X bluetooth neck buds - came free with an iPad I bought recently - and the latency is pretty bad.

• edited October 2017

Latency is too high for any realtime playing, but for listening to music and podcasts they are simply AWESOME.

The battery case is a stroke of genius, because you never run out of power. I use my AirPods everyday on my commute and only charge the case once a week. They are as simple to use as regular wired EarPods, but much more convenient without the wires.

The best Apple Product i've bought in a long time, but NOT suited for music production due to the latency.

• @Peter321 said:
    Latency is too high for any realtime playing, but for listening to music and podcasts they are simply AWESOME.

The battery case is a stroke of genius, because you never run out of power. I use my AirPods everyday on my commute and only charge the case once a week. They are as simple to use as regular wired EarPods, but much more convenient without the wires.

The best Apple Product i've bought in a long time, but NOT suited for music production due to the latency.

thanks .. so i assume Airpods are no different ...having the normal latency associated with bluetooth devices

• @hisdudeness said:
    thanks .. so i assume Airpods are no different ...having the normal latency associated with bluetooth devices

Absolutely, I was actually referring to my AirPods in the post. They are great, but not for realtime playing.

• @Peter321 said:

@hisdudeness said:

Absolutely, I was actually referring to my AirPods in the post. They are great, but not for realtime playing.

How are they for watching movies/ videos? My experience is that you always experience lipsync lag.

• @mannix said:

@Peter321 said:

@hisdudeness said:

How are they for watching movies/ videos? My experience is that you always experience lipsync lag.

Ooh that would be annoying

• @bounce said:
    Getting intrigued after I heard Reggie Watts say the sound quality (accurate) on these has him reaching for them over other expensive buds he owns. Sure he was talking about casual listening not situations where latency is important tho. Pods that ship with iphone fall out of my ears every few minutes, hate that and the lack of isolation, but maybe should get used to them for the inevitable VR face pod.

Its funny, I have exactly the opposite issue - "in ear" generic fit earbuds don't fit my ears at all, even with the smallest size foam earpiece. I have custom molded in ears and earplugs for live playing for that reason. The apple earbuds are the most comfortable "regular" earphones for me and stay in really well. I won't be getting air pods but I think I am going to get another pair of apple ear pods since I lost mine.

• @bounce said:
    Getting intrigued after I heard Reggie Watts say the sound quality (accurate) on these has him reaching for them over other expensive buds he owns. Sure he was talking about casual listening not situations where latency is important tho. Pods that ship with iphone fall out of my ears every few minutes, hate that and the lack of isolation, but maybe should get used to them for the inevitable VR face pod.

Powerful, Reggie Watts.

• Latency = awful...Not for music making at all.

Everything else = Awesome (latency related to watching a video or a movie for example it’s great)

Not going back to wires ever again. (Well... for normal use at least) even other Bluetooth headphones are a chore (to setup) compared to the AirPods.

• @Peter321 said:

I agree completely.

• I love my Airpods too! I use Earhoox to help keep them in my ears during physical activity. Works perfectly.

• @mannix said:

@Peter321 said:

@hisdudeness said:

No problems with movies, they seem to sync up nicely or the latency is too low to notice - it's only in realtime input you cannot use them.

• As a student, I have a promo for a free pair of AirPods when I buy any iPad. Do you know how much I can sell these? I have no plan of keeping it and it could make me a good saving on my new iPad. Thanks

• wimwim
    edited September 2021

Just go to eBay and do a quick search. You can get a good idea in about as much time as it took you to ask here.

• @wim said:
    Just go to eBay and do a quick search. You can get a good idea in about as much time as it took you to ask here.

I hate Ebay. Left side only, right side only, + 100$ shipping, fake one, for repair, overprice one.

In Canada, Kijiji is more popular I think I will look there.

The AirPods are 219$ in canadian dollars on the Apple Store so I guess that 100$ is a very good price for a new pair.

• edited September 2021

I wish that someone would invest in near zero latency Bluetooth (or some new standard) wireless buds for music production. A niche market, sure, but you could charge a lot and make a bit of money, I reckon. Surely it's not a technological impossibility if given the will.