Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audio recording apps ?

encenc
edited October 2017 in General App Discussion

I've been using the audio record pro app
https://www.bejbej.ca/app/voicerecordpro
Which is an amazing app. Unfortunately, on my iphone (6s) the app does not support AGC or kind of gain adjustment .. weirdly, it does on most other iPhone models !? I love the app and it has a ton of features but is limited without gain control. So, I'm looking for a well featured audio app which enables gain control for iPhone 6s. I'll add that recordings are to be made through the iphones internal mic only.
Any suggestions?

Comments

• What you mean with "well featured"?

• @Harro said:
    I am very happy with Voice Record Pro: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/voice-record-pro/id546983235?mt=8

Me too.. it's fantastic .. apart from it not having gain control for the 6s :o

• @mschenkel.it said:
    What you mean with "well featured"?

In phone Editing of recordings, choice of recording format, control over gain, compatiblity with export to email, Dropbox etc etc.

Audio record does all that plus lots more ... but Doesn't allow me to set gain on my phone

• Well, on my iPhone 6s it has! See:

• encenc
    edited October 2017

@Harro said:
    Well, on my iPhone 6s it has! See:

looked gain ...I can't find it.
    Even states in menu it's not possible !?

Unfortunately its not documented by Apple. Gain control which is a hardware based feature is available on most devices, I have no idea why Apple is doing this, but here is the results of gain control availability on various devices:
    iPhone 3G/4GS => YES
    iPhone 4/4S => YES
    iPhone 5/5C/5S => YES
    iPhone 6/6+ => YES
    iPhone 6S/6S+ => NO
    iPad 1/2/3 => YES
    iPad Air => YES
    iPad Air 2 => YES
    iPad Pro => YES
    iPad Mini => NO
    Of course you can always use the "Advanced Engine" and use a "Volume" filter to do the same, but that would be a software solution which may not give you the same result as a hardware gain control.

Automatic Gain Control (AGC) is a different story. It can't be set directly to the hardware or at least there is no documented way to do that. But there are some workarounds that might be used to disable the AGC. Just like the gain control itself, these workarounds can only work on some devices. 3 years ago when I started this app, disabling the AGC was working on iPhone 3GS and iPad mini, but not on iPhone 4S! To avoid complexity and incompatibility I decided to leave this feature controlled by iOS. From what I tested on many devices, if you turn off the "Voice Processing" in settings, AGC has the minimal impact on recorded track.

• to disable AGC (and input bass filtering) you have to set the respective recording app to 'measurement mode'. It's not a system wide setting but app specific.
    I don't have that iPhone, but it's hard to imagine they excluded that model from the setting.
    In measurement mode the gain control slider will probably show up, as in the link above.

• If I remember well, Audioshare has mic input adjustment.

• edited October 2017

Yes @enc and @Telefunky, in Voice Record Pro in Settings -> Advanced Recording, you can turn Voice Processing ON, which disables the manual gain control. Btw. the default for this option is OFF...

• encenc
    edited October 2017

Not on my 6S. are you sure you have a 6S :D

This is copied from tr help folder... it clearly states gain control is not possible on the 6S or iPad mini !

Gain control which is a hardware based feature is available on most devices, here is the results of gain control availability on various devices:
    iPhone 3G/4GS => YES
    iPhone 4/4S => YES
    iPhone 5/5C/5S => YES
    iPhone 6/6+ => YES
    iPhone 6S/6S+ => NO
    iPad 1/2/3 => YES
    iPad Air => YES
    iPad Air 2 => YES
    iPad Pro => YES
    iPad Mini => NO

Automatic Gain Control (AGC) is a different story. It can't be set directly to the hardware or at least there is no documented way to do that. But there are some workarounds that might be used to disable the AGC. Just like the gain control itself, these workarounds can only work on some devices. 3 years ago when I started this app, disabling the AGC was working on iPhone 3GS and iPad mini, but not on iPhone 4S! To avoid complexity and incompatibility I decided to leave this feature controlled by iOS. From what I tested on many devices, if you turn off the "Voice Processing" in settings, AGC has the minimal impact on recorded track.

• Yes @enc, with Voice Record Pro on my iPhone 6s. You said, you have that app, so try it out...

• Spire is the best one i've tried. It's has input level control and is free.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spire-multitrack-music-recorder/id1013021109?mt=8

• edited October 2017

I used several different recording apps before I stumbled upon this. Definitely the best out there that's universal, has a great interface and is surprisingly deep. I dont know if you're doing music or podcast style recordings but it pretty much covers everything

MultiTrack DAW by Harmonicdog
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/multitrack-daw/id329322101?mt=8