Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Yamaha MDBT01 Wireless Bluetooth MIDI Adapter - They're Brilliant! (Edit: Check compatibility)

Comments

• edited December 2018

@Howard said:
    Thanks @SpookyZoo but do yourself a favour, don't update to 1.0.5. I also had no problem with all the other versions and now I'm stuck. I see that the app is no longer in the App Store here in Canada so perhaps they removed it for now while they get a fix for those who did the update.

Thanks for the warning.

Just checked and mine are all running on 1.03

ADD: The app is no longer in UK store either.

• A warning to any users of the Yamaha MD-BT01: Be very careful if you open the iOS firmware updater.

I opened the iOS app to check the device was connecting properly and it prompted me to restore the firmware. The app has however flashed the UD version of the firmware to the unit - it is now a brick.

Yamaha support are not helping. Also, the iOS app is no longer in the app store.

Ugggh >:(

• @Vaultnaemsae said:
    A warning to any users of the Yamaha MD-BT01: Be very careful if you open the iOS firmware updater.

I opened the iOS app to check the device was connecting properly and it prompted me to restore the firmware. The app has however flashed the UD version of the firmware to the unit - it is now a brick.

Yamaha support are not helping. Also, the iOS app is no longer in the app store.

Ugggh >:(

Wow, I was just considering buying one of these... Given that Yamaha support isn’t helping afterward isn’t promising.

• Breaking news. 1.0.6 has just been released.

"Fixed issue regarding failure of MD-BT01 firmware update"

• edited January 2019

Thanks, @MikeyP however that didn't work for me. I can see that the app is version 1.0.6 but then when I go to update the firmware it says I am on 1.0.5 already so it wont let me update it. I know fixing things take time but my device has been broken now for 2 months. Come on Yamaha!

• @Howard said:
    Thanks, @MikeyP however that didn't work for me. I can see that the app is version 1.0.6 but then when I go to update the firmware it says I am on 1.0.5 already so it wont let me update it. I know fixing things take time but my device has been broken now for 2 months. Come on Yamaha!

Sounds like the firmware is still version 1.0.5 even though the app is 1.0.6 hopefully it might just mean updating the firmware information naming to 1.0.6 so it let’s you flash the newest, corrected version.

• edited January 2019

@knewspeak Hopefully!

It is disappointing in that doesn't seem like they did enough testing before releasing 1.0.5, then when I first reported it to Yamaha Canada they denied the problem and suggested it was something wrong on my end which led to a number of emails trying to convince them that in fact it was on their end, then the app got pulled presumably after numerous complaints to avoid breaking too many of them and now they re-release an app that doesn't actually fix the problem. Yeesh.

• For anyone still considering a purchase, I now have both the Yamaha MD-BT01 and the Quicco mi.1
    Both work well on the Arturia Keystep, with rather low latency and a stable connection so far.
    There are a few differences though that might help you decide.

Yamaha MD-BT01:
    Looks elegant but sticks out of the MIDI ports quite a bit so you may accidentally crack them or they might not fit at all when your MIDI keyboard stands close to a wall.
    Renaming the device is easier than the Quiccos because you can just use Yamaha's app.

Quicco mi.1:
    Very small, will fit almost every box, a somewhat tight fit on the Digitakt but it works without problems.
    Renaming has to be done by sending a one-time MIDI SysEx message.
    MIDI Clock transmission can be enabled and disabled by MIDI SysEx as well, that does not appear to be possible with the Yamahas.
    This is an important feature IMHO because
    1. Available power from the current loop of the MIDI port is limited so at high data rates, throttling and higher latency may happen.
    2. MIDI clock transmission does naturally impact the link latency at high BPMs so it's a handy feature to be able to stop it from being transferred if all you want is trigger notes and automate CCs.

Hope that helps.

• JesJes
    edited January 2019

@SpookyZoo said:

@AlexB said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@HokieKev said:
    I am using with a Kurzweil PC3x and an Ensoniq SQ80. Works great with both.

Incidentally, as I mentioned on the site earlier I have connected the two keyboards above to a single iPad (two different applications on the iPad) and that works great as well.

Love these Yamaha wireless things.

Also, second the idea of the poster above. I would love to have an ultimate, nice, 88 key Bluetooth midi controller that ran forever on batteries. I think someone should put a lithium ion battery in a keyboard that charges while you play at home and then runs on batteries when you go out to the gig. That would be cool.

What a great idea 💡

Or you simply buy a power bank and one of these Yamaha BT and you have it...

Yep, I have a 61 Key X-Station with a MD-BT01 and power bank permanently connected (when charged) available for quick wireless connection whenever inspiration takes hold. Lovely option! :)

The X-Station does actually charge inserted batteries when plugged into mains, but the reliability of battery use alone is sketchy. Power bank much the better option for this particular setup.

Hi @SpookyZoo
    can you tell me how long your usb power bank lasts with the X station set up like this and what capacity power bank it is ?
    Cheers

• edited January 2019

@Jes said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@AlexB said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@HokieKev said:
    I am using with a Kurzweil PC3x and an Ensoniq SQ80. Works great with both.

Incidentally, as I mentioned on the site earlier I have connected the two keyboards above to a single iPad (two different applications on the iPad) and that works great as well.

Love these Yamaha wireless things.

Also, second the idea of the poster above. I would love to have an ultimate, nice, 88 key Bluetooth midi controller that ran forever on batteries. I think someone should put a lithium ion battery in a keyboard that charges while you play at home and then runs on batteries when you go out to the gig. That would be cool.

What a great idea 💡

Or you simply buy a power bank and one of these Yamaha BT and you have it...

Yep, I have a 61 Key X-Station with a MD-BT01 and power bank permanently connected (when charged) available for quick wireless connection whenever inspiration takes hold. Lovely option! :)

The X-Station does actually charge inserted batteries when plugged into mains, but the reliability of battery use alone is sketchy. Power bank much the better option for this particular setup.

Hi @SpookyZoo
    can you tell me how long your usb power bank lasts with the X station set up like this and what capacity power bank it is ?
    Cheers

Hi @Jes It seems to last for ages. It probably lasts for at least a week if not longer with multiple sessions over an hour or two.

I’ll go check the make for you in a few minutes.

I will advise anybody not to rely on physical batteries to power the X-Station. Fully charged Duracell rechargeable last about 20 seconds before the unit turns off.

I have a number of X-Stations and they all behave badly on batteries.

• @SpookyZoo
    Cool.Thanks for the the detailed response.
    Ive got another x station 25 on the way ..this kind of setup is great for a portable semi wireless rig..It seems the Xstation doesnt draw too much power over usb which is amazing seeing that it is so versatile
    Ive just been running with a 6700 mah bank for about 6 hours and its only used about a quarter. Excellent. Its pretty cool sending 4 Fugue channels via bluetooth to the synth in the X and then shaping the sound to suit.
    I love the yamaha dongles, Ive also got the usb one for my Ewi also running off a power bank.
    Ps I didnt realise the batteries were such an issue, Ive got some in but dont use them much. I know the iPad wont recognise the Xstation when it is being powered by them.

• @Jes said:
    @SpookyZoo
    Ive got another x station 25 on the way ..this kind of setup is great for a portable semi wireless rig..It seems the Xstation doesnt draw too much power over usb which is amazing seeing that it is so versatile
    Ive just been running with a 6700 mah bank for about 6 hours and its only used about a quarter. Excellent. Its pretty cool sending 4 Fugue channels via bluetooth to the synth in the X and then shaping the sound to suit.
    I love the yamaha dongles, Ive also got the usb one for my Ewi also running off a power bank.
    Ps I didnt realise the batteries were such an issue, Ive got some in but dont use them much. I know the iPad wont recognise the Xstation when it is being powered by them.

Cool stuff!

Btw, If your batteries are rechargeable, it would be interesting to test how long they power the X-Station for. It’s literally just seconds in my experience.

• @SpookyZoo said:

@Jes said:
    @SpookyZoo

Cool stuff!

Btw, If your batteries are rechargeable, it would be interesting to test how long they power the X-Station for. It’s literally just seconds in my experience.

@SpookyZoo
    I just left my old 49 key XStation on for about 7 hours powered only by the batteries.
    Thay are just generic ebay China ones .
    I didnt play it or do much but it was stable electrically for that long ( no flashing or dim lights or weird behaviour )
    Ive just received a 25 key X that Im checking out. I will try the batteries in that.
    All I can say is that the menu setting for the PSU charging the batteries is the one Ive chosen.
    Off topic, the 25 key X is in ok nick. Theres a bit of broken key base rattling around inside and the pitch wheel is not working on the synth but works when chosen as a Pitch Controller in Template mode which is kinda weird. The mod wheel works ok, but only in non latched mode. It kinda grates when in Latched mode. I seem to remember there being a fiddly spring in there which may have come awry. im a bit reluctant to dive into the innards as all the pots are working well ( apart from two broken off adsr Sliders).
    Last time I replaced the mod pitch stick on my old one it seemed that the Data/Value knob became jumpy at the same time...as if there was pressure from the case being slightly misaligned on reassembly. Well this is what I thought but it was probably just coincidence. as those pots are notorious for failing. This is one of the main reasons I bought another X as its very difficult setting up Templates when that Data Value knob jumps all over the place.
    I will test the batteries on the latest X and let you know.
    Maybe the Duracell ones are dodgy or not charging ?
    Cheers from OZ.

• edited March 2019

Has anyone confirmed if the BT01 can be powered by a Nord Drum 2, Nord Drum 3P, or Octatrack Mk2? Or a Faderfox UC4?

• @rs2000 said:
    For anyone still considering a purchase, I now have both the Yamaha MD-BT01 and the Quicco mi.1
    Both work well on the Arturia Keystep, with rather low latency and a stable connection so far.

Yamaha MD-BT01:
    Looks elegant but sticks out of the MIDI ports quite a bit so you may accidentally crack them or they might not fit at all when your MIDI keyboard stands close to a wall.
    Renaming the device is easier than the Quiccos because you can just use Yamaha's app.

Quicco mi.1:
    Very small, will fit almost every box, a somewhat tight fit on the Digitakt but it works without problems.
    MIDI Clock transmission can be enabled and disabled by MIDI SysEx as well, that does not appear to be possible with the Yamahas.
    1. Available power from the current loop of the MIDI port is limited so at high data rates, throttling and higher latency may happen.
    2. MIDI clock transmission does naturally impact the link latency at high BPMs so it's a handy feature to be able to stop it from being transferred if all you want is trigger notes and automate CCs.

Hope that helps.

New keystep owner here :D

with any of this adapters can i get iPad tempo out of the iPad using an Ableton Link? i want to use the arp and sequencer in korg gadget. i really like the Quicco form factor, but i read somewhere that apparently you cant recieve clock with it. (from an ipad)

Excuse my english. :D

• @Erwin said:

@rs2000 said:
    For anyone still considering a purchase, I now have both the Yamaha MD-BT01 and the Quicco mi.1

Yamaha MD-BT01:

Quicco mi.1:

Hope that helps.

New keystep owner here :D

with any of this adapters can i get iPad tempo out of the iPad using an Ableton Link? i want to use the arp and sequencer in korg gadget. i really like the Quicco form factor, but i read somewhere that apparently you cant recieve clock with it. (from an ipad)

Excuse my english. :D

A few hints for anybody trying to use the Keystep's internal sequencer with Gadget:

• Gadget cannot send MIDI Clock, only receive
    • You don't need MIDi clock if all you want is to "play" Gadget's instruments using the Keystep's built-in sequencer or chord memory.
    • The Quicco mi.1 BT MIDI dongles will ignore MIDI clock with their factory settings. By sending custom MIDI Sysex messages to them (see their home page for details), you can enable MIDI Clock transmission "forever" and also change their name so you can spot them easily if you have more than one pair.
    • LINK has nothing to do with MIDI Clock and will do nothing when you want to use the Keystep.
    • Although Gadget can receive MIDI Clock, you don't necessarily have to use it. You can also use the Keystep's sequencer for sequencing and Gadget as a sound source. In that case, you might want to enable Gadget's MIDI "Advanced" mode and have different gadgets set to receive on different MIDI channels so you can easily switch instruments by quickly changing the MIDI channel on the Keystep.
  • CME have their own BT midi dongle on the horizon.

Looks interesting and much smarter ergonomically than the bulky MDBT01s.

I have 4 of the Yamahas which work well for me so I wouldn't be in a rush to swap over, but interesting news for those searching for a Wireless midi solution.

https://www.cme-pro.com/

• @SpookyZoo said:
    CME have their own BT midi dongle on the horizon.

Looks interesting and much smarter ergonomically than the bulky MDBT01s.

I have 4 of the Yamahas which work well for me so I wouldn't be in a rush to swap over, but interesting news for those searching for a Wireless midi solution.

https://www.cme-pro.com/

thanks for the heads up. I was looking for the quiccos and it seems they've stopped making them. I could be wrong, but I could only find them on ebay for ridiculous amounts.

• One thing I noticed with the Quicco M.1 is that the cables hang down on most devices. As a result the cable gets bent at a very bad angle. This could cause issues over time, so it is best to the M.1 on items that are up on stands so there is some clearance.

The M1 is also fairly wide (compared to standard Midi cable, and can be a tight fit on some gear).

However, you can power away from a device. For example, my Novation Mono Station uses 3.5mm breakout midi cables. If I run a 3.5mm cable to a breakout device (one of those star shaped splitters with 7 3.5mm jacks) I can then use the mono station break out cable from there. This is handy if you have a device that doesn’t have midi out. I get power for the Quicco from the circuit midi out and can place the midi in close enough to the 0-Coast to use the iPad as the midi source. Of course the Mono Station has midi through, but this might help for devices that don’t.

• Yep, agree. I run two of them!

• @palms The Quicco mi.1 seem to be in production still but they're not available in every country.

@DYMS The mi.1 cables are actually a bit shorter than on the CME variant which looks very similar. I have them constantly plugged into my Arturia Keystep and yes, the cable is bent a little but I don't worry because it doesn't move while using or carrying the keyboard around.

The Quiccos can also be configured using sysex messages, will that be possible with the CME model too?

• @palms The Quicco are made by a company here in Japan so I could probably get you one if you are eager. They sell for around 4,600-5,000 yen.

• The CMEs are planned to be a different product that can do more that the Yamaha or Quicco models. If the description is correct, they can pair with each other directly and interconnect two hardware MIDI devices which is impossible using the other two models.

• I just order a the Yamahas...they should be here tomorrow. I’m going to see if my MC-707 will successfully pair up to my iPad. I’ve currently got them connected using an iConnectMIDI2+ and want to do away with some of the wires and external power supplies. If it works...it’ll make the whole set-up battery powered, wireless and portable! Fingers crossed!!,

• @rs2000 said:
    The CMEs are planned to be a different product that can do more that the Yamaha or Quicco models. If the description is correct, they can pair with each other directly and interconnect two hardware MIDI devices which is impossible using the other two models.

Good point!

I remember now I made a thread here about CME asking for feedback on a new product, and this was the selling point.
    If that's the case, I may order a couple early.

• @DYMS said:
    @palms The Quicco are made by a company here in Japan so I could probably get you one if you are eager. They sell for around 4,600-5,000 yen.

thanks!

I'm going to look into the CME's this new info about the direct connection has me interested, so I'm going to wait until those are out before buying.

• I have a question for Yamaha MDBT01 owners.
    Does it work also with synth modules that have only MIDI In and Thru, but not an Out?
    Thanks.

• I’ve bought 2 of these. Will hook up tonight.

• edited July 2020

@anr said:
    I have a question for Yamaha MDBT01 owners.
    Does it work also with synth modules that have only MIDI In and Thru, but not an Out?
    Thanks.

Depends on what you want to do. It needs a port that provides power which can be both an OUT or a THRU port. If you plan to send MIDI notes to the synth module being the receiver and the two dongles attached to IN and THRU, that should work!